British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris

1965 Elizabeth II British Crown (Winston Churchill) 1.0.0 (JayBart55)

Hi JayBart55

I don't know if other members here are as suspicious as I am, but there is no way on earth I'm going to download an unknown file from an unknown person.

If your enquiry is genuine, then please repost it as a reply here, and upload pictures. Thanks.

I had to go looking for the download that you are referring to Peck, but found it.  There are just 4 pictures in the download.  Here are the pictures (reduced in size to allow posting), with the original message from @JayBart55 (hopefully tagged correctly)

Hello,

I hope this finds you each numismatic in great shape and good will.......I am looking for some professional advice and I am believing I am in the right place.

Gentlemen, and Ladies, if so......I have come across this 1965 Churchill commemorative coin and need some guidance.  I have done extremely thorough research on this coin as well as the BOAC Cunard lines.

From all of this research I still cannot ascertain whether this coin is common mintage or is a found Satin Finish.  I do know that this coin was given as a VIP gift to an unknown person of notoriety that either sailed the cruise-line or flew BOAC Cunard, as the 2 did not merge until 1962.  I have researched every available flyer and newspaper that was published in that era and cannot find any mention of this piece being bestowed upon a guest or guests.

Please examinme the pictures I have included and I beg your professional and forthright opinions.  Thank you so much for your time and your future guidance.

Please feel free to contact me at any time with concerns.  I am located in California, USA and there isn't much information on this side of the pond.

Thank you again!

Jay B.

IMG_20180110_174901.jpg

IMG_20180110_174922.jpg

IMG_20180110_175206.jpg

IMG_20180110_175217.jpg

Edited by Nick

Looks like a standard currency issue to me but I'm not an expert. When I took a holiday job in 1965 as a lorry driver's mate, we used to transport antique furniture quite often, and the shop owner used to sometimes tip us a Churchill crown which, considering that Smithfield Market would tip us sixpence, was a small fortune.

Looks like a standard one to me too!

The trouble with them is they're a bit of a mare to photograph to capture differences in finish, but a quick search on ebay will show you a couple of thousand similar ones.

Tracking down images of actual "satin" ones leads to only about 3 examples.

I have one which looks remarkably different from every other one out there, and the jury is still out on that - here are a couple of pics for reference or what is "normal" and what is ... well, undecided.

Left = "normal"

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

• Like 1

Yikes, I thought this one was put to bed already. There is  a range from PL to more satiny finish that all came from normal dies, depending on die and die state,  and different than the specimen satin strikes.

33 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Yikes, I thought this one was put to bed already. There is  a range from PL to more satiny finish that all came from normal dies, depending on die and die state,  and different than the specimen satin strikes.

These will never be put to bed. Everyone wants to find the coin worth a grand instead of a quid, so satin Churchills, proof just about anything and the good old 2 new pence questions amongst others are likely to be asked in perpetuity.

7 hours ago, Gary1000 said:

I hope the satin proof that I bought from Baldwins is a satin proof.:angry:

u got a pic, have asked then  royal mint bout these

23 minutes ago, craigy said:

u got a pic, have asked then  royal mint bout these

You have probably seen it but one sold at LCA Lot 1303

• Like 1

Thanks Pete , that lot finally shows clearly the difference between normal, odd and actual satin finish. Its the thing I've been unable to find to totally put my mind at rest.

I'll take the opportunity to apologise to those who knew I didn't have a satin, but were unable to provide a suitable reference to back up their knowledge.

:)

The Churchill double die is worthy of interest. It might be one of the best mid century UK varieties... 

Guest Thank YOU!!!

Thank you everyone for your input.  I really do appreciate all of your knowledge !!!   :)

Guest Thank YOU!!!    JayBart55
Just now, Guest Thank YOU!!! said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  I really do appreciate all of your knowledge !!!   :)

I hope that doesn't include me as I did send pictures if my satin specimen.