50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Rotographic on Facebook for offers and updates.

Rotographic on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on rotographic.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Descartes

Small Coin Holders <18mm

17 posts in this topic

Chaps,

May I seek some advice about storing small pennies please? Other than a coin cabinet I cant find anything smaller than 18mm (self adhesive card holders) to hold my very small coins. My tiny Elizabeth I pennies and James I pennies move around in their 18mm holders and it aggravate me when then they're not fixed properly. Is there a company that does smaller sizes? I can't seem to find one on my google searches.

 

Thanks,

Descartes :) 

 

Edited by Descartes
TYPO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coins 728x90

I remember you could get plastic-lined card holders which were punched with a central hole to suit the size of coin you have. You then stapled the holder closed after folding the card over the coin. I don't know if they're still available but Windsor Coins used them extensively at one time.

Here: http://www.safealbums.co.uk/Zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=201_207_490_492

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Quadrum capsules for my coins which go down to 14mm, they're the same size as the card holders but a lot thicker

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought some 15mm coin holders very recently, search for Hartberger  instead of lighthouse - these are 2x2 self adhesive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the link I posted has self-adhesive type too.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Descartes said:

Chaps,

May I seek some advice about storing small pennies please? Other than a coin cabinet I cant find anything smaller than 18mm (self adhesive card holders) to hold my very small coins. My tiny Elizabeth I pennies and James I pennies move around in their 18mm holders and it aggravate me when then they're not fixed properly. Is there a company that does smaller sizes? I can't seem to find one on my google searches.

 

Thanks,

Descartes :) 

 

What are the actual sizes of the coins in question. That would help and I will do a search for you if that helps. 

Edited by UPINSMOKE
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain, Descartes, I can barely bring myself to look at my silver farthings!

i’m very much a 2x2 coin flip fan, so if you find a solution please do post! :) 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

What are the actual sizes of the coins in question. That would help and I will do a search for you if that helps. 

Hi Upinsmoke, the coins are 11mm and 12.5mm ... tiny little silver pennies. I think the Hartberger holders people have been recommending (at 15mm) would be a good fit for now. I will buy some and give it a try! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Hi Upinsmoke, the coins are 11mm and 12.5mm ... tiny little silver pennies. I think the Hartberger holders people have been recommending (at 15mm) would be a good fit for now. I will buy some and give it a try! 

If you want me to post you a couple, PM me your address - it'll save you buying something you might not use - I had to buy like 30 and only really needed 1 or 2 lol.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the 14mm Lighthouse capsules and just don't shake them too much. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the coins are quite valuable airtite do one with a foam insert 10 MM upwards 10,11,12,13 etc.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

If you want me to post you a couple, PM me your address - it'll save you buying something you might not use - I had to buy like 30 and only really needed 1 or 2 lol.

Hi Unwilling Numismatist, I've already bought some now, but thanks for the offer! :) I decided to get a bunch as they might come in handy for Maundy pennies too.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Descartes said:

Hi Unwilling Numismatist, I've already bought some now, but thanks for the offer! :) I decided to get a bunch as they might come in handy for Maundy pennies too.

Maundy? 😮 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coinery said:

Maundy? 😮 

Hi Stu, I'm collecting a penny from every monarch from Alfred the Great to our present queen (specialising in Wilton mint pennies where possible, while also working on building a complete Plantagenet collection in the process) ... Alas, I have to collect Maundy pennies between George II & Charles II as it's impossible to complete my monarchs series without them :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Descartes said:

Hi Stu, I'm collecting a penny from every monarch from Alfred the Great to our present queen (specialising in Wilton mint pennies where possible, while also working on building a complete Plantagenet collection in the process) ... Alas, I have to collect Maundy pennies between George II & Charles II as it's impossible to complete my monarchs series without them :) 

Ah, I see, makes sense, a nice idea. So are you doing the copper/bronze issues too, or staying with silver in the reigns of say Victoria, Ed7 etc.?

How are you handling the Plantagenets? I was thinking an example of every obverse class, and then finding the remaining missing mints on any class they happen to come on. So, effectively an example of each class and mint, on the smallest number of coins possible. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coinery said:

Ah, I see, makes sense, a nice idea. So are you doing the copper/bronze issues too, or staying with silver in the reigns of say Victoria, Ed7 etc.?

How are you handling the Plantagenets? I was thinking an example of every obverse class, and then finding the remaining missing mints on any class they happen to come on. So, effectively an example of each class and mint, on the smallest number of coins possible. :)

I've decided to include the copper/bronze too - but only to the extent of the three major busts of Victoria, and one for each of those succeeding her, with the exception of our present queen, where I've included all the obverse and reverse designs (inc. the 1953 OMN BRITT penny, of course).  

With regards to the Plantagenets - I'm doing exactly the same as you :) ... but at a much slower pace. I want all my coins in this series to be as good as the specimens in the Galata Guide, which is proving slightly harder than I anticipated. They come up from time to time at auction and Mr. Blencoe (the ebay guy) keeps an eye out for the good ones too. There was an absolutely perfect Edward class 2b for sale at bryantcoins a while back, a real gem. He had it at 350 quid which is quite expensive, and being indecisive as usual, somebody snapped it up before me... I was gutted (and I'm digressing now too, sorry).

I've never seen a first-class specimen from Kingston-on-Hull or Exeter...not ever. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps all their moneyers were local agency staff, or perhaps they were not so heavily monitored like they were in London and just sloppy. Hardly the most academically rigorous theories, I know, but I can't seem to account for the lower levels of craftmanship in any other way! Perhaps I will just have to lower my standards and buy some scabby ones from these regional mints. Also, the class 10 pennies are really tough to find in tip-top condition too. Have you noticed this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0