British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
headsortails

pure speculation 2017

Is me or is this years printing press process or circulation process all on its head?

Most years you see the small change entering circulation about May and then progressing to the pound coins and so on.

There are exceptions i know like with 2011 coins when we saw oyimpic 50p's entering cuirculation in 2010 and this year differs with the advent of the new pound.

But where is the small change? Is there going to be any?

The figures are out before the coins,does anyone find this odd?

What's the betting that this year the 2017 part shield 50p coin will be the shocker, it has been batched but so far it is clearly scarce at this point unless the printing presses go into acton and start producing,.

50,000,000 50p's have already been stamped thats a fair quota for any year and surly they have to knock some two pound coins out.

Where are the jane austins, britannia's and the aviation coin?

Is it me or are they late?

Edited by headsortails

Apart from the obvious new pound coins, I haven't seen a single 'normal' circulation coin of 2017 at all, which is unusual given that we are now in 2018.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Apart from the obvious new pound coins, I haven't seen a single 'normal' circulation coin of 2017 at all, which is unusual given that we are now in 2018.

The pound recoinage was obviously a major event drawing resources from elsewhere. But given there was an increase in digital money transactions with a low maximum value, it wouldn't surprise me if there were in fact zero mintages for some denominations due to reduced need for small change. I don't know what percentage of transactions under £30 were cash or not, but I see a significant number of people are using the card before cash. That is change they don't have to hold in their pocket.

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

The pound recoinage was obviously a major event drawing resources from elsewhere. But given there was an increase in digital money transactions with a low maximum value, it wouldn't surprise me if there were in fact zero mintages for some denominations due to reduced need for small change. I don't know what percentage of transactions under £30 were cash or not, but I see a significant number of people are using the card before cash. That is change they don't have to hold in their pocket.

The bleep coin effect, there are way to many ones twos and fives i think most people would agree but not two pound coins, they are light on the ground eveyone keeps saving them or selling them on ebay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

True. Early in December, I withdrew £100 in cash from a cash machine, and here we are on 8 January, and I've still got £60 of it in my wallet. Pretty much all my spend has been online or for really small stuff.

been a lots of 50p's issued of late, probably a glut

3 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

I searched a whole load of change (several hundred pounds worth of small change) and only found one 2017 penny. I was wondering the same thing myself!

• Like 1

just out of interest, a present search on ebay for the 2017 shield 50p brings up three pages of coins the same search for the isaac newton coin with a mintage of 1,800,000 shows thirty three pages of available coins INC.mint bags.

I've just been through the jar by my bed, all my change since back in July.

Nothing with a 2017 date except for £1 coins.

Will have to hunt a full set down, as that 88p should be far rarer than any Kew :)

a friend of mine works in a post office and has not seen any 2017 coins yet except the £1 

I've found 1 Newton 50p but none of the £2 coins yet.  I don't look at the dates of the 1p to 20p coins.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:05 PM, DaveG38 said:

True. Early in December, I withdrew £100 in cash from a cash machine, and here we are on 8 January, and I've still got £60 of it in my wallet. Pretty much all my spend has been online or for really small stuff.

I'm getting to be the same. Taking a long time to spend the cash. Mind, it did come in useful at ASDA a few days ago, when the reader wouldn't accept my card.

I sincerely hope we never go cashless. 

52 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I sincerely hope we never go cashless. 

It will throw a spanner in the works for a lot of people if we do. Most collectors go to fairs armed with a wad of cash. I wonder if this is historical and a reflection on the time required to bank a cheque and receive funds, as it's only during the last 10 years or so that mobile payments have been feasible. 

Any bookie will suffer big time. Can you imagine using chip and pin at Royal Ascot?

Edited by Rob

11 hours ago, Rob said:

It will throw a spanner in the works for a lot of people if we do. Most collectors go to fairs armed with a wad of cash. I wonder if this is historical and a reflection on the time required to bank a cheque and receive funds, as it's only during the last 10 years or so that mobile payments have been feasible. 

Any bookie will suffer big time. Can you imagine using chip and pin at Royal Ascot?

It would be dreadful. Some people claim they never use cash, and employ that as a reason for suggesting that we don't need it anymore. Well they may not - their call. But the majority still do to a greater or lesser extent.

All possibility of living anonymously would be removed if cash went. Not to mention tradesmen giving discounts for cash. I've saved quite a bit over the years, by drawing out notes to make large payments to say, painters and decorators.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not to mention tradesmen giving discounts for cash. I've saved quite a bit over the years, by drawing out notes to make large payments to say, painters and decorators.

Condoning tax evasion, Mike.  Tut tut. ;)

• Like 2

On 19/01/2018 at 1:17 PM, Nick said:

Condoning tax evasion, Mike.  Tut tut. ;)

bed and breackfast and many hotels also seem to be overly keen on cash as well