British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Unwilling Numismatist

Trainwreck of a Threepence

It looked really quite lovely (I still think it does), but up close and personal it has some interesting features.

WIN_20171226_16_23_58_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171226_16_55_01_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171226_16_18_27_Pro.jpg

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

Flash cleans baths without scratching.....almost a thrower....but silver content ummm.

I meant to add a questionmark to the title, but my keyboard skills lack somewhat. I wondered why I hadn't seen much in the way of responses, but given a statement like that for a title, it doesn't lend itself to much of a conversation starter, does it?

Given that Peter has taken the time to provide some (rather harsh but accurate) critique, is there any other opinion on how much of a disaster this one is?

Should I get even a glimmer of hope from the large 1over small 1 in the date (1/1861) and what very much appears to be a larger V over an inverted A for the V of Victoria?

The D of D:G is clearly a die-fill issue, and the offset colon after F:D: is already noted but for a different year.

Looks to me like an A1+1A, as always please feel free to correct me here.

ESC is not exactly brimming with info for the 1861.

• Like 1

I'd say it's 1 over the same size 1, but the underlying character not punched deeply enough to bring out the serif. V over inverted A I would go with looking at the picture.

I would concur with the 1st obverse. Listed in ESC, but Davies only gives this obverse used up to 1860. As the latest crossover date of a three year period (1859-1861), there were probably no more than one or two serviceable dies of the first type remaining. Obverse dies can clearly be used for more than one year, so the offset colon may well be the same die noted above for a previous year.

11 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Looks to me like an A1+1A, as always please feel free to correct me here.

I agree too.  I have an A1, 1+A 1861 3d also.  Mine has the same obverse die, but different reverse.