British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinbuyer555

EBAY SCAM

Apologies if I ruffled a few feathers. No harm intended. I am genuinely interested to know what posters think is acceptable behaviour when it comes to the mark up on coins and generous description of grade by dealers (such as UNC when it is clearly not close). How is it so different to a mis-attribution of the variety? 

7 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

Apologies if I ruffled a few feathers. No harm intended. I am genuinely interested to know what posters think is acceptable behaviour when it comes to the mark up on coins and generous description of grade by dealers (such as UNC when it is clearly not close). How is it so different to a mis-attribution of the variety? 

When it comes to the mark up on a coin ,it is the dealers coin and he can ask whatever price he wants for it (If someone is happy to pay over the odds,thats up to them).over generous grading and wrongly attributing of varieties etc is different That's false advertising (lying).If they can't grade the coin fairly or can't attribute it correctly , then they shouldn't .

• Like 1

He has finally done the right thing and stopped describing the coin as a VIP proof on his website. I wonder if he has been reading the comments posted here.

How was it described at the Heritage auction he claims as provenance?

27 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

How was it described at the Heritage auction he claims as provenance?

Not as VIP as far as I can see.

The description was:

"George VI Proof Crown 1937 PR67 Cameo NGC, Royal mint, KM857. Tied with one other proof for finest known to date at NGC this lightly frosted crown is an exceptionally well defined with flawless fields. We anticipate spirited bidding for the lot.
From the Cape Coral Collection of British Crowns"

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-vi-proof-crown-1937-pr67-cameo-ngc-/a/3063-35044.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

He really needs to stop and reflect on what he is doing. 

Edited by Sword
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 0:41 PM, Sword said:

The description was:

"George VI Proof Crown 1937 PR67 Cameo NGC, Royal mint, KM857. Tied with one other proof for finest known to date at NGC this lightly frosted crown is an exceptionally well defined with flawless fields. We anticipate spirited bidding for the lot.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-vi-proof-crown-1937-pr67-cameo-ngc-/a/3063-35044.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

must get mine slabbed, far better than that one, that is a very old ngc slab wonder if it would get the same grade now ?

20621819_10154595704746020_580676321911885621_n.jpg

Edited by craigy

On 10/02/2018 at 0:41 PM, Sword said:

The description was:

"George (VI P)roof Crown 1937 PR67 Cameo NGC, Royal mint, KM857. Tied with one other proof for finest known to date at NGC this lightly frosted crown is an exceptionally well defined with flawless fields. We anticipate spirited bidding for the lot.

Perhaps he read it as George VIP lol

• Like 3

:). But your explanation won't work for this 1953 QEII he is also now selling.

https://simonwilliscoins.com/item/S4136/1953%20Cupro%20Nickel%20Crown%20FDC%20PF67%20CAM

He is also describing it as a VIP even though PCGS  has only designated it as an ordinary proof crown and Heritage has not mentioned VIP either. 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/elizabeth-ii-proof-crown-1953-pr67-cameo-pcgs-/a/3063-35051.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Heritage has indeed sold a VIP 1953 previously. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-vip-proof-crown-1953-pr65-cameo-pcgs-/a/3038-35191.s

Note that "Frosted VIP" is written on the label of the slab unlike the one he is selling.

I must leave this tread and move on. Having said that I really have learnt a thing or two here.

18 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Perhaps he read it as George VIP lol

Interesting - so the next question is, what's a roof crown? :lol:

I think it would be very difficult to tell a VIP coin in a slab, you need to pick it up and feel it. It's not just the level of frosting it's the sharpness of the strike. If I pick up my VIP crowns they are sharp in the hand, the edges, the milling etc.

Edited by Gary1000

On 21/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, mick1271 said:

It looks like the right coin for the slab ,but its not a vip proof .Its just a normal proof as far as I can see . the seller is saying its one of 6 minted and possibly the finest known , but pcgs say its 9th out of 26 slabbed by them . The seller should / would know this . either the buyer has received a fake coin and slab ,or his issue is it is not as described .

This alone tells me he has no integrity. 

Looks like SW Coins are no more. Some poor Ebay feedback toward the end of 2019 and no longer a registered user. His website is no longer functioning and Company accounts confirmation is overdue. His wife also resigned as director end of 2019.

He did have the odd, often overpriced, item of interest.

• Like 2