British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinbuyer555

EBAY SCAM

Bought a $4000 coin in November from Simon Willis Coins LTD, found it to be a fake and hence returned it Dec 5th, he won't pick it up from the post office and hence it has been put on 'hold' while they keep it for a while and then return to me.

Called bay on the phone and they said they will deal with this as I gave them a tracking number.

Only spent this much as this is a coin dealer and trusted him, seems I was wrong. Totally different from the description of the coin:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/George-VI-Silver-Crown-1937-Coronation-Frosted-VIP-Proof-Crown-S4079-FDC-PR65Cam/172939907761?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I don't suppose you took photo of the coin in question did you?  Be interesting to see how different it is from what was advertised and what indications are that it's fake.

It looks like the right coin for the slab ,but its not a vip proof .Its just a normal proof as far as I can see . the seller is saying its one of 6 minted and possibly the finest known , but pcgs say its 9th out of 26 slabbed by them . The seller should / would know this . either the buyer has received a fake coin and slab ,or his issue is it is not as described .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

It looks like the right coin for the slab ,but its not a vip proof .Its just a normal proof as far as I can see . the seller is saying its one of 6 minted and possibly the finest known , but pcgs say its 9th out of 26 slabbed by them . The seller should / would know this . either the buyer has received a fake coin and slab ,or his issue is it is not as described .

Yes i agree Mick i just wanted Coin buyer to confirm he had bought a normal one and the seller wrongly described as VIP.

Sounds like the VIP thread the other week :angry:

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes i agree Mick i just wanted Coin buyer to confirm he had bought a normal one and the seller wrongly described as VIP.

Sounds like the VIP thread the other week :angry:

a pr65 sold on ebay for £89 2 weeks ago .A £2750 mark up is a bit cheeky .

The image on eBay is nothing like the coin sent but the grading numbers match so I assume the dealer has enhanced the lighting conditions to make it look as if there is frosting as he advised.

very strange a dealer from the UK should do this, especially to a coin collector and my feedback clearly shows I do collect and have done so on eBay since 2000.

he is not responding to emails either now so I opened a case with eBay, phoned them and they said I am covered even if he refuses to pick it up and I will get a refund. 

Whats the point of the dealer doing this, it certainly is not going to enhance his reputation or lead to more business?

Dangerous these VIP coins which have been discussed recently on here.

A question for you if thats ok .

Why you have been collecting for such along time why have you never posted before please ?

Collected bronze and Cu pennies for the most time but in 2013 sent them to LCA to be auctioned off and decided to go for proofs only. Originally was a hobby but now as I age its an investment.

I have been buying from Drake Sterling in Australia some proof sovereigns. I have made up 1902 proof long sets, 1887 currency sets, some modern sovereigns. I have a collection of California gold fractional for interest only.

I have a load of pennies, mostly BU still here, must get round to selling.

Never posted before as never really had any need to just a watcher and learner.

• Like 2

In fact a 1911 PRMS65 half sovereign just arrived from Drake to go with the sovereign same grade. Have 1923 SA sovereign and half at MS64, 1937 set, looking for 1887 proof next kinda expensive though so will save up and get.

84917969.jpg

2 hours ago, Coinbuyer555 said:

I have a load of pennies, mostly BU still here, must get round to selling.

Get those pennies up asap !!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Get those pennies up asap !!!!

Yes, I need to stop buying silver... but then some pennies are more expensive.

I still don't understand Pounds Shillings and Pence, but it is awfully pretty ;)

• Like 1

PR65, I have one of the three PR67 which I paid £400 at a Canadian auction, they also thought it was a VIP.

In my opinion unless the grading company says its a VIP on the slab then best to avoid. This dealer is totally convinced its a VIP and I just hope he does not advertise it again as so after he has eventually refunded me so some other person gets sucked in.

I saw a 1960 VIP crown a few years ago and its very obvious due to the finish and actual 'frosting' that it wa sa VIP the finish was far superior. I would have really shout a dealer in the UK would have been able to tell one from a normal proof but I was wrong. Thankfully eBay are looking after the refund, also PayPal and then my credit card. Buyer beware is so true.

• Like 1

I still think it is a phrase that has been hijacked.

• Like 1

I really think these coins are best avoided...............

• Like 1

Sent the coin back Express and he left it in the PO for 2 weeks, then he signed for it then he ignored sending a reply or a refund!!!!

Today eBay have covered the refund to my PayPal account.

I left eBay negative feedback.

Are most UK coin dealers as low as Mr Willis.?

7 hours ago, Coinbuyer555 said:

Are most UK coin dealers as low as Mr Willis.?

Why on earth do you ask that?

You have had an unpleasant experience with one dealer, and have described your side of the story on this forum. You now seem to be insinuating that bad practice is endemic in the profession. This is totally unfair of you, and I have personally never found a dealer other than fair and courteous, and I attend coin fairs and buy on line regularly. There are a number of dealers on this forum who provide freely of their time and expertise for the benefit of all whom I am sure would not take kindly to the implication in the question. You complain on another thread of the activity of “trolls” on the forum, in fact one individual who made unwise alcohol fuelled comments for which he later apologised , then you follow up with this sort of statement. I see little difference.

Jerry

• Like 7

Those dealers in the UK I have done business with have been honorable and ethical.  That is because I've avoided the minority who are not.   You would find the same situation with dealers in the US, Canada or any other country.

• Like 7

I think you'd probably be better off on Cointalk.

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

I was very surprised to read this thread as I know Simon Willis and have only had good dealings with him. He was originally a collector who became a full time dealer when he retired. Roderick Richardson knows him very well too. He may have possibly bought this coin in good faith as a frosted VIP proof and then hence listed it on ebay. I find it difficult to believe he would intentionally try to deceive and would also be very surprised if he did not offer a full refund. Did you try to contact him through his website?

1 hour ago, NRP said:

I was very surprised to read this thread as I know Simon Willis and have only had good dealings with him. He was originally a collector who became a full time dealer when he retired. Roderick Richardson knows him very well too. He may have possibly bought this coin in good faith as a frosted VIP proof and then hence listed it on ebay. I find it difficult to believe he would intentionally try to deceive and would also be very surprised if he did not offer a full refund. Did you try to contact him through his website?

I think Coinbuyer555 (previously trading as Mike Dennington) may have left the room.

But I would agree with you Neil, and comment that we have of course only had one side of the story. I would certainly not be rushing to any judgement here.

Jerry

• Like 2

Whoever he was he came across as a complete arse in the end. Very immature. 

• Like 4

This 'smacks' a bit of 'attempted sabotage' of a dealer's good reputation. May be these comments by Coinbuyer555 should be treated with caution.