British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jinky

Peter Rabbit 50p with number 1 on it

2 hours ago, Jinky said:

Hi,

I've got a Peter Rabbit 50p with a number 1 on it, but cant find any info, can any one shed any light?

https://s13.postimg.org/hspd0jxlj/image1.png

Thanks

you will need to post a pic on here . I cant see anybody clicking on an external link from a new member .

It's just a picture hosting site. Nothing to worry about.  Here is Jinky's picture:

image1.png

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

Is the digit '1' incuse, or raised?  If incuse, it is just likely to have been doctored, albeit skilfully.

If it is raised, I think it becomes a very interesting piece as the die would have had to have had it engraved on it. Unless it is another of those Chinese knock-offs along the lines of the Kew or lines-over-face Olympic swimmer "replicas"...!

• Like 1

I think the Royal Mint would have a better idea about it ,  if it has come out the mint like that ,it would definitely be of interest to the decimal collectors.

• Like 1

I have a peter rabbit coin with a number 2 on it - I dropped it down the loo

Thanks for replies. I’ve contacted Royal Mint, they are speaking to their museum and coming back to me. They’ve also mentioned sending it in to them.

Thanks

I dont think thats right ,there is know way they engraved a perfect die with a one .

If there was any reason to put the one on possibly some kind of trial it would of just been puched in the coin and doubt they would of then just thrown it into circulation.

If they did put the number on happy days ,although i think its just punched in PM and the kind of thing on ebay everyday.

Edited by PWA 1967

14 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I dont think thats right ,there is know way they engraved a perfect die with a one .

If there was any reason to put the one on possibly some kind of trial it would of just been puched in the coin and doubt they would of then just thrown it into circulation.

If they did put the number on happy days ,although i think its just punched in PM and the kind of thing on ebay everyday.

agreed thats why i think original post was a load of rubbish

A load of rubbish... to ask a question about a coin, in a coin forum, how dare I.

I’m not a coin collector, I noticed what looks like a ‘1’ on the coin and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it, hence asking here.

Guest Well said!

Well said! It is a perfectly valid question, and might just raise an interesting reply from the Royal Mint.

There have been rumours about these sorts of things for years the last time it was a 2008 shield 20p with a letter 1 on it - that was never proved .

Can anyone not realise that the royal mint now and the royal mint in 1861 are totally different , no a, b, and c mintmarks etc .

Mistakes and mintmarks hardly ever exist in the 21st century (ok there have been a couple)

You would think this country was going backwards tecnologically if you listened to some people

Gut feeling is it's probably a chinese fake like the kew gardens one's. I'd love to be proven wrong though jinky. 

Let us know what RM feedback to you. 

Merry Christmas. ?

On 12/21/2017 at 0:01 PM, Jinky said:

Hi,

I've got a Peter Rabbit 50p with a number 1 on it, but cant find any info, can any one shed any light?

https://s13.postimg.org/hspd0jxlj/image1.png

Thanks

Very very interesting - please do let us know what the RM say. Potentially a great find. 

On 12/24/2017 at 3:51 PM, Jinky said:

A load of rubbish... to ask a question about a coin, in a coin forum, how dare I.

I’m not a coin collector, I noticed what looks like a ‘1’ on the coin and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it, hence asking here.

Repeating that which has been expressed in a guest post: Well said Jinky. A perfectly valid question and this is indeed the right place to have asked it.

Forums will always include one or two people who would do well to think before they type. 

Do let us know what the RM has to say about your coin.

You could try sending a PM to either Flopsy, Mopsy, or Cotton-tail - they should know the answer.