British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Richard2

Henry VI penny

Hi , a metal detecting find that has me confused, pretty sure it’s Henry VI cross/pellet issue with a saltare on breast , maybe pellets next to hair but hard to be sure because of condition. The thing that has me puzzled is it reads EBO RACI on the reverse . I can’t find any mention of a Henry VI with saltare on breast coming from the York mint , only London. 

Any ideas anyone.

40C25290-FC17-41BC-8A5B-D63C3DE9612A.jpeg

1702341C-1A98-4284-92CB-F751704F3310.jpeg

Slightly better picture

C322E1DD-5CC0-4234-A9D3-4D466FF18F4E.jpeg

Hi would certainly agree cross pellet issue York mint. The scarcity of this issue means few coins to compare with, there are two possible explainations,

1/ London die sent up to York and used there with a York reverse die Quite feasible this has happened many times with provincial mints.

2/ New die for York with saltire on neck instead of leaf (probably the earliest issue for cross pellet)

either way a new diepairing / type for the issue nice find - well done

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, sorry only just replied, been out Christmas shopping, deep joy, not. 

Its a shame coin isn’t in a bit better condition. Did you notice the extra pellet in the first quarter, doesn’t show up too well in picture. Not found by me I’m afraid, but by a friend. Worth recording with PAS I think 

Richard 

Afternoon all, just an update on the Henry VI penny . its up for auction in this months DNW sale on 15th Nov . Lot 934. No picture of it in the printed

catalogue but think its on line.

As davetmoneyer said an unknown die pairing. "the exact variety apparently unpublished and presumably extremely rare" is their words. £80-£100

Fingers crossed

Coin sold for £160, I think my mate, who’s coin it was, is well pleased. The other coin I had in the sale,a Edward IV halfgroat Dublin mint sold for a very healthy £1600