British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest leevan

Edward VII and Alexandra coin

That is a medallion to celebrate the Coronation of his majesty King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra (of Denmark I believe) in 1902.

In that condition, just worth silver content (if it has any!) Most commemorative medals were made in numerous metals both officially and un officially. I'm not sure if that is the official one or not, but whatever, it's not worth a huge amount.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Hi,

Yes, this is the official medal produced by the Royal Mint for public purchase, as opposed to the official Award medal which was only given to specific people and the hundreds of base metal medals which were produced by local authorities. This particular medal was produced in bronze, silver and gold (alas I only have the first two!) and in two different sizes.

What's also interesting about this medal is that, unlike the unofficial ones, it has the correct date on 9 August on it. The coronation was originally scheduled for 26 June but was postponed because the king had appendicitis. Virtually all Edward VII commemorative items have the earlier date.

Hope this helps - Geoff

Super, another knowledgeable chap in the Forum!

Welcome Geoff T.

I heard there were some rare versions on the official medal with the wrong date on them also?

Chris

I've not seen anyway, although it stands to reason that some must have been produced. I suspect that they were recalled but a few escaped. Equally hard to come by is commemorative ceramic stuff produced at the last minute which has the August date on.

Geoff

Geoff,

I have a 1902 Coronation medal, with a ribbon on it, do you know what that is?

It has the King and Queen on one side and the Royal mongram with the date 26 June 1902 on the back. The whole thing is in a wreath that makes up the rim and a loop is attached to a crown. Appears to be silver. Attached to the loop is a ribbon with a red centre stripe with 2 thick blue stripes next to it and then white edges.

Bad picture below:

post-32-1073996509_thumb.jpg

This looks like the official award medal. Since 1902 they've been of a standard design, with the monarch (and queen consort in the case of E7, G5 and G6) on the obverse and the royal monogram on the reverse. Each one has its own design of ribbon too. There were also slight variations in the design for things like the official medal given to the police etc.

The medal certainly looks like the real thing - and the date is interesting - but I'll check the ribbon colour when I get home. I've a feeling that the official ribbon colour doesn't have the white stripe, but I could be wrong. I'm at work at the moment browsing in my lunch hour. I'll get back to you with any further info.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I look forward to hearing from you again.

My Dad gave it to me one Birthday because it had a date on it very close to my birthday (29th June)

Chris.

Chris, I've consulted the oracle (in the form of Cole's "Coronation and Royal commemorative medals 1887-1977") on this one and, yes, you have the correct ribbon for the 1902 coronation award medal. It was made in bronze and silver, with a different arrangement of ribbon colours for specials (mayors, police etc.) and they all have the 26 June date on them. Quite highly sought after now as well.

Thing is, this is one I don't have yet... ;)

Geoff

Well is that right!

I wonder what my Dad would think if I sold it!? Erm, exactly how highly sought after are these then? I suppose he couldn't possibly object if I cut him in. It looks like it's been cleaned at some point though, hairlining is evident but it does have a very nice tone.

So who would have been given this then, a civil servant, or someone like that?

Me again...

As you probably know, up to and including Victoria's coronation in 1838 medals were actually thrown to the congregation as part of the ceremony and the assembled peers etc. had to scabble round to get one. Disastrous, of course, from an exonumismatic point of view, although it's nice to think that your George II medals actually "heard" the first performance of Handel's coronation anthems.

For Edward VII in 1902 they decided to follow the precedent set for Victoria's jubilees in 1887 and '97 and have an official medal which could be awarded, not just to those who who attended the service, but the great and good of the land and the empire. It would have gone as you suggest to top civil servants, diplomats, politicians and so forth. Mayors and the police had their own medal with a different ribbon.

In 1902 virtually every local authority produced its own medal and you come across these all the time. Some share a common obverse, often by a leading designer, but all have an individual reverse which is often of very high quality. Sadly, because most of these are anonymous and the medals themselves in base metal, they've been seen as ephemera and never really given the attention they deserve by collectors.

Geoff

PS. I wouldn't dream of depriving you of something of sentimental family value!

Thanks for the info Geoff,

But my Dad is still very much alive and kicking and as the date is 3 days out from my birthday, it isn't too important to me, really!

Ok, so what do these usually go for then? Just so I know how securely to keep it.

Chris

I've not been able to find an up to date price, but I'd say £70-£90 depending on condition.

Geoff