British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrP

186i halfpenny

Hi,

I have an 1861 half penny which has a capitol I instead of a 1, 186I - the coin is probably VG condition as it is too worn to be fine but is an OK coin. Googling it I found some pics of an 186i mint error but no info. Is it common?  I'll post a pic up when I get chance to photo it. Thanks.

It is an interesting coin anyway - I also have a 2 pronged 1839 farthing and a normal one for comparison. 

Edited by DrP

Sorry DrP but a capital i for a 1 was pretty normal for that coin in that period. The missing prong is also normal as the dies got old and blocked up. I'm sure one of the penny/farthing masters will be on soon and correct me if wrong.

• Like 1

It's easier to say which bronze halfpennies don't have a for a 1. I don't know of any as this was standard in the Victorian bronze. You see a range of fonts and sizes across the different denominations and issues, so what is normal for one is not necessarily the same as was used for the next. The only thing that stands out in this regard is where you get an Arabic 1 over an inverted Arabic 1, resulting in what appears to be a Roman I such as the first digit in the date below. The same thing occurs on the not so rare Roman 1 1825 shilling.

c732 1787WH shilling 1 over inv.1 8 over 7 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

The 2 pronged 1839 1/4d  is easily obtained and not rare.The 1840 2 pronged (the result of a die clash) are difficult and command a substantial premium.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. The 186i can go in my collection next to the 1861 anyway. It is still an item of interest for me.  I am aware that my 2 pronged farthing is only worth about £15.00 but it sits nicely in my album next to the 3 pronged on as an example  -  I'll keep an eye out for the 1840 one. :-)