Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, jelida said:

Interesting, but are you sure there isn’t a join between the beads and the rim in the first image? It’s amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a lathe - but I hope I’m wrong. If genuine that would be a great price, though I am surprised that obverse and reverse dies were interchangeable.

Jerry

That was my immediate thought too. The dark circle showing where the reverse of one coin has been sunk into the body of a second appears very obvious. The cut even clips through some of the beads.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loads of double sided TWO PENCE coins produced using this very clever method for a few pounds.  Loads of 1967 (etc) Pennies available for a skilled craftsman to work the majic on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jelida said:

Interesting, but are you sure there isn’t a join between the beads and the rim in the first image? It’s amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a lathe - but I hope I’m wrong. If genuine that would be a great price, though I am surprised that obverse and reverse dies were interchangeable.

Jerry

I'd agree with that. Looks like a craftsman job, but nice all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very clever, and a little bit like this so called Freeman 189, 1920 penny

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, 1949threepence said:

Very clever, and a little bit like this so called Freeman 189, 1920 penny

Yes, there's an obvious groove inside the obverse rim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, there's an obvious groove inside the obverse rim.

More neatly done though than the 1967 penny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite pleased to find this one as a BIN on ebay.

 

 

Obverse 2 with 145 Teeth.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Quite pleased to find this one as a BIN on ebay.

 

 

Obverse 2 with 145 Teeth.jpg

1860 2* obverse I presume? These do seem to remain remarkably scarce. Well done.

Jerry

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jerry, I think Richard has as 7 Known; guess this makes it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, can you send me photo of reverse please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All done, now on Richard's website, many thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've a certified double reverse 1964 penny, but my 1970 proof double sided was deemed counterfeit by PCGS. I did not see anything obvious - can't remember as I think it came from DNW, er, Noo-nah's (I think that's it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really nice MS64 RED 1913 F176 from Spink on Wednesday ,not attributed.

Interesting that the coin has sold now at least twice by two major auction houses and owned by different vendors ,however nobody has looked to see what type it is.

 

279564469_363815655718587_509544174728664093_n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980809514

This coin has been backwards and forwards too and from America enough hopefully.

It originally sold in the Workman sale ,then was in Baldwin St.James  Paul Hayward sale (unsold £200-300 estimate) ,now back to the uk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980809514

This coin has been backwards and forwards too and from America enough hopefully.

It originally sold in the Workman sale ,then was in Baldwin St.James  Paul Hayward sale (unsold £200-300 estimate) ,now back to the uk.

Nice specimen.

I got one last year - not quite as good as yours, but not too far off - for just £4.64.

Scarce, rather than desperately rare, although obviously going to be difficult to find in higher grade.

Gee found 8 out of an identifiable 372, which is about 1 in 47. That compares with 1 in 846 for the F169.

link here 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really pleased to have obtained this ex Copthorne collection 1853 copper proof. You don't see many copper proofs from the Victoria era, so when this one cropped up, with provenance, I decided to snap it up.

 

ex copthorne clearer date cropped.jpg

ex copthorne rev cropped.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa', really nice with toned lustre peripherally. Expensive I know (over £2900) but a nice clear Gorgon's head. And missed the VAT!

Jerry

image281.jpg

image282.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And a cheap $10 wide date 1889.

image283.jpg

image284.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jelida said:

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa'

Jerry, can you email pics to Michael Gouby so that he can update his Medusa document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Jerry, can you email pics to Michael Gouby so that he can update his Medusa document.

I have already given the details to Michael.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jelida said:

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa', really nice with toned lustre peripherally. Expensive I know (over £2900) but a nice clear Gorgon's head. And missed the VAT!

Jerry

 

 

Well worth it though.

That's the thing with these rarities, you've got to be prepared to "splash the cash".  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well worth it though.

That's the thing with these rarities, you've got to be prepared to "splash the cash".  

Exactly what I thought when I got my 1930 halfcrown last year!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jelida said:

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa', really nice with toned lustre peripherally. Expensive I know (over £2900) but a nice clear Gorgon's head. And missed the VAT!

Jerry

image281.jpg

image282.jpg

Lovely Medusa penny, congratulations to your latest additions through Stephen Album.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×