British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

16 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sadly not mine

I didn't even know one existed in that condition. 

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I didn't even know one existed in that condition. 

Our local hospital unearthed a time capsule from 1903 with a few uncirculated coins in. The picture in the paper only showed the obverse of the penny, and all I could think was "turn it over". :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Our local hospital unearthed a time capsule from 1903 with a few uncirculated coins in. The picture in the paper only showed the obverse of the penny, and all I could think was "turn it over". :lol:

You get them on e bay too - just one side. Always a bit suspect.  

Delighted to have bought this slabbed 1806 copper proof - KP31, Peck 1327. It didn't sell at the recent LCA, so got it post auction at the lower reserve amount. Originally Lot No 1803. 

copper proof 1806 obv cropped.jpg

copper proof 1806 rev cropped.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Delighted to have bought this slabbed 1806 copper proof - KP31, Peck 1327. It didn't sell at the recent LCA, so got it post auction at the lower reserve amount. Originally Lot No 1803. 

copper proof 1806 obv cropped.jpg

copper proof 1806 rev cropped.jpg

How do you find out what lots were unsold - it isn't obvious on their website?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

If they dont show on the sales results / prices realised they didnt sell ,so if you look at any prior to the sale and not in the auction results it didnt sell.

Edited by PWA 1967

21 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Pre - auction I always make a note of the lots I'm interested in - either direct from the website, or better yet from the catalogue if you get it. Then when the results are posted if they don't include a lot number you noted as of interest, you can then call LCA and they'll let it got at the lower estimate, plus juice. 

You have to be quick though and keep a sharp lookout for when the results are posted, as others have the same idea as you, and you might miss out.  But you can potentially bag a great bargain. 

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Pre - auction I always make a note of the lots I'm interested in - either direct from the website, or better yet from the catalogue if you get it. Then when the results are posted if they don't include a lot number you noted as of interest, you can then call LCA and they'll let it got at the lower estimate, plus juice. 

You have to be quick though and keep a sharp lookout for when the results are posted, as others have the same idea as you, and you might miss out.  But you can potentially bag a great bargain. 

Trying to work it out Mike ,why not just bid low estimate before ,if someone bids after you would still get it anyway ?

Edited by PWA 1967

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Trying to work it out Mike ,why not just bid low estimate before ,if someone bids after you you would still get it anyway ?

It's just the way I do it.

ETA: I've usually already made pre auction bids on other lots, and my success or otherwise with them dictates whether I've got any spare money left over for unsold lots. 

Edited by 1949threepence

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It's just the way I do it.

I was only interested as i sell bits with them in most auctions and wondered if there was a reason why someone would bid the day after a sale.

If the coin had a low estimate and it was the same as the reserve(they are sometimes changed after the catalogue was printed ,although altered on the website) of say £500.

It receives no bids at all at £500 and doesnt sell you risk not getting it to someone else who bid £500 before the auction ,so not saving anything and just buying something for the same price that nobody else wanted ?

You mention you have to be quick ,which made me wonder if it happens often (but as far as i know never one of mine) or if thats because they mail all the sellers the results of there lots and you have to phone them first.

I am sure you know what you are doing and none of my business ,but waiting for a funeral to watch online i am passing time looking on here 😃

I get it now as you edited your post after i made mine and yes makes sense now ,thanks 👍

Edited by PWA 1967

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I was only interested as i sell bits with them in most auctions and wondered if there was a reason why someone would bid the day after a sale.

If the coin had a low estimate and it was the same as the reserve(they are sometimes changed after the catalogue was printed ,although altered on the website) of say £500.

It receives no bids at all at £500 and doesnt sell you risk not getting it to someone else who bid £500 before the auction ,so not saving anything and just buying something for the same price that nobody else wanted ?

You mention you have to be quick ,which made me wonder if it happens often (but as far as i know never one of mine) or if thats because they mail all the sellers the results of there lots and you have to phone them first.

I am sure you know what you are doing and none of my business ,but waiting for a funeral to watch online i am passing time looking on here 😃

I get it now as you edited your post after i made mine and yes makes sense now ,thanks 👍

Twice before I've called LCA about an unsold lot the day after, only to find that someone has already been on to buy it. So that suggests there are other interested parties post auction and you therefore need to look lively asap after the results are posted, in order to secure any unsold lots you might be interested in. 

Another reason punters may not bid pre auction, is that they assume a given coin will go for much more than they can afford. But for whatever reason it has attracted no interest, nor does it in the room on the day. 

The only one of yours that I nearly went for (pre auction) at LCA  was the 192A you sold in September 2019. But in the end, other things took my eye.   

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Twice before I've called LCA about an unsold lot the day after, only to find that someone has already been on to buy it. So that suggests there are other interested parties post auction and you therefore need to look lively asap after the results are posted, in order to secure any unsold lots you might be interested in. 

Another reason punters may not bid pre auction, is that they assume a given coin will go for much more than they can afford. But for whatever reason it has attracted no interest, nor does it in the room on the day. 

The only one of yours that I nearly went for (pre auction) at LCA  was the 192A you sold in September 2019. But in the end, other things took my eye.   

I dont have a clue why you thought the 192A was mine ,as it wasnt and have never had one 🙂

Can I pretend it was mine?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Can I pretend it was mine?

Yeah, why not. My mistake to attribute the sale to Pete, so you can have it instead Blake. 

• Like 1

Hooray!

Thanks Mike!

I'd given up hope of ever owning one....

• Haha 1

Been a bit quiet here, so here is a penny I have just picked up. Not particularly scarce, but an upgrade for me. 1854 PT I believe:

1854 D PT 1-side.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks to Bernie, I picked up an average 1895 wide date recently on Ebay. Not wonderful but a reasonably interesting example of 1895Bb which Gouby describes as scarce.

1066129927_1895F141wide5zoom.jpg.7154143253422af1cff0492b0452add4.jpg698846898_1895F141wide5rev.jpg.d33944be7c9a4d102100acee8b6a91b5.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks to Bernie, I picked up an average 1895 wide date recently on Ebay. Not wonderful but a reasonably interesting example of 1895Bb which Gouby describes as scarce.

1066129927_1895F141wide5zoom.jpg.7154143253422af1cff0492b0452add4.jpg698846898_1895F141wide5rev.jpg.d33944be7c9a4d102100acee8b6a91b5.jpg

FWIW I've seen many many wide dates in that series and don't regard them as significant. However, I've not seen an example of 1895 before, so yes, scarce indeed!

On 9/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, 1949threepence said:

Was that the one I purchased (I think mine cost a bit more though)? I forgot the date and venue.....Is dementia around the corner? I  hope not...

On 9/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, 1949threepence said:

6 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Was that the one I purchased (I think mine cost a bit more though)? I forgot the date and venue.....Is dementia around the corner? I  hope not...

You could always check it against the specimen sold that day. It's very easily identifiable by the yellow smudge at the side of the King's nose - link

Thing is, we buy so many coins over such a long period, that it's easy to lose track of where and when we got them, and especially how much they cost. Looking at a couple of my cabinet trays, I can remember where and roughly when I got most of them, but am a bit more hazy on the exact price of all but the most expensive. Obviously every fine detail of some stick in the mind more than others. But as our memories are not reliable, I keep a hard copy record of all my purchases, in the form of receipts. I print them off if e copies only, as internet records just cannot be relied on to stick around for any length of time. Blink and they've vanished into cyberspace. A hard copy paper record will not disappear (unless the house burns down), so forms a long term reliable record on precisely where and when you got the coin, together with its price.        

49 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

You could always check it against the specimen sold that day. It's very easily identifiable by the yellow smudge at the side of the King's nose - link

At the time, the Royal Family tried to cover up HRH's mustard addiction.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thing is, we buy so many coins over such a long period, that it's easy to lose track of where and when we got them, and especially how much they cost. Looking at a couple of my cabinet trays, I can remember where and roughly when I got most of them, but am a bit more hazy on the exact price of all but the most expensive. Obviously every fine detail of some stick in the mind more than others. But as our memories are not reliable, I keep a hard copy record of all my purchases, in the form of receipts. I print them off if e copies only, as internet records just cannot be relied on to stick around for any length of time. Blink and they've vanished into cyberspace. A hard copy paper record will not disappear (unless the house burns down), so forms a long term reliable record on precisely where and when you got the coin, together with its price.        

I use Excel spreadsheets to record dates, price paid, variety, book value, photo (where available) and seller, but if you haven't done this from the start then catching up may be impossible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

At the time, the Royal Family tried to cover up HRH's mustard addiction.

Hmmm, well I'm as keen as mustard to get a 192A, but I've got to cut the mustard financially before I can afford one.

As for KIng George V, he must have had an 'ard time coping with such an addiction (sorry, sorry)

• Haha 1

Hah, now I have to remember where it even is! I will check and hopefully find it later today. LOL

• Haha 1