British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Thank you all for your kind words! PM sent regarding pictures Santa.

3 hours ago, azda said:

Thought i'd pop this in here

UK1933penny.jpg

It is most probable that one of the two Mint currency coins was the unmentioned seventh, a currency coin apparently first appeared in a Glendinning auction in 1969. The Royal Mint now have only one example in their collection. A currency coin was said to have been given by the mint to Laurie Asher Lawrence in 1933-4. This is not mentioned in the Letter above. I have tried to obtain the information from the Royal Mint regarding the disposal of their second coin, but have had no reply. There are six known examples plus the one stolen from the "Church of St. Cross, Middleton Leeds, presumably a Proof coin.

Charles F Barrett, who made an annotation on 10 May 1934 that “seven examples exist, one of which is not traceable at current time

7 hours ago, loose54 said:

Hi all, I thought this acquisition may be of interest to a few of your here, I am fairly pleased to have acquired it!

004-tile_opt.jpg

That is an absolute stunner! I almost hate to ask, but did the vendor know what it was? I have still to spot one in any condition!

Jerry

• Like 3

Hi Jerry, thank you! I hate to say it but no, the vendor did not know what it was. The coin was purchased from an auction house within a bulk lot and was simply mentioned as a standard 1911 Penny. The coin may be moving on as I think I will have to sell it to enhance my chances of getting hold of an expensive coin I have been considering for a while, but I must say that I have enjoyed having such a specimen!

Jack

• Like 2

And it almost literally has that appearance - specimen....Lovely surfaces and strike of course.

• Like 2

A couple of my acquisitions in the last week.

Firstly an 1894 that appeared as a b-i-n on Ebay at £49.99. So I bought it. Really lovely in the hand.

DSC_5672.jpg

DSC_5673.jpg

And secondly, a rather expensive 1862 overstrike from Baldwins. This coin has been sold twice before in the last few years, at Baldwins November Argentum sale in 2012, and then by Spink USA in January 2014, as part of the Gerald W Jackson collection. In both cases, the price with premium was  close to that I paid. I trust it will stay put now, as I'm not likely to find a better.

Jerry

DSC_5670.jpg

DSC_5671.jpg

1862 8 over 6 b.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm, not sure about my photo quality; these are my first efforts with a digital SLR, more effort required!

I might try a lighter background.

Jerry

Some great buys Jerry, there's currently an 1894 that's not as good as that up on the bay and has already surpassed £50 so good spot. 

Nice finds Jerry and the pictures spot on ,i have a couple of 1862 that although high grade are nearly black.

Hat off :)

On 08/06/2016 at 4:29 PM, jelida said:

And secondly, a rather expensive 1862 overstrike from Baldwins. This coin has been sold twice before in the last few years, at Baldwins November Argentum sale in 2012, and then by Spink USA in January 2014, as part of the Gerald W Jackson collection. In both cases, the price with premium was  close to that I paid. I trust it will stay put now, as I'm not likely to find a better.

Jerry

DSC_5670.jpg

DSC_5671.jpg

1862 8 over 6 b.jpg

Very rare coin.

• Like 1

Beauty! Graded?

50 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

Beauty! Graded?

Was Gary but broken out ............Will be one to sell in my own collection , as sure i will find a better one :)

• Like 1

Looks AU to me so brave of you to part with it.

24 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

Looks AU to me so brave of you to part with it.

Was Graded 55 NEF......CGS say £500.

Pete says for what he paid......... better off out ;)

a few of decent rarity

1037812.jpg

1931 missing waves

1037813.jpg

1864 wider date

1037815.jpg

7+G 1874 R8

1037820.jpg

8+J rated R9

dont see many 1876 wides at all.

it is missing waves, there is nothing near the teeth, plus it has the characteristic 3

Edited by scott

Here is the first of last weeks Ebay bargains that I alluded to in another thread. Not bad at all for £9.95 including postage!

Jerry

1897 ht rev.jpg

1897 ht obv.jpg

• Like 3

Jammy bugger, nice high tide Jerry.

That's a nice find and a great price compared to the book price. Wish I could spot these.