British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

I am pretty sure there were not many individual dies for 1849 pennies

24 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

There's also a slight rim nick underneath the date.   

I noticed that as well the only slight flaw in a lovely coin

16 hours ago, Cliff said:

Mine has also had work done around the 4 in the date, does yours?

Cliff, I've started to build a page of copper penny date styles - can I use your picture please ?

14 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Richard, Certainly. Do you need the other side?

No thanks, just the close-up of the date, which I've downloaded now.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, secret santa said:

Cliff, I've started to build a page of copper penny date styles - can I use your picture please ?

I've noticed many dealers note some date styles in their sales. The obvious ones being 1857, 1858 & 1859 small and large date. Also the 1853 plain and italic 5.

But little else, and not date widths. Surprising that the 1856 PT date size variances aren't taken into consideration. Maybe because they're scarce so don't need a further selling point. I believe I'm correct in saying that the 1856 OT only has the small date.    

If it's not in a widely read publication, nobody cares because they don't know about it. If it is published in a reference with a good reach, everybody has one and describes the coin to maximise returns. The collecting interest however is mostly limited to nerdy types and because we all live in our own little bubble, we fail to appreciate that a majority of collectors are overcome with indifference when it comes to micro-varieties. The best you can usually hope for in a description is an overdate, legend variety or anything else that's obvious.

Are you calling me a nerdy type ? Surely that must be classified as a hate crime ?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Rob said:

If it's not in a widely read publication, nobody cares because they don't know about it. If it is published in a reference with a good reach, everybody has one and describes the coin to maximise returns. The collecting interest however is mostly limited to nerdy types and because we all live in our own little bubble, we fail to appreciate that a majority of collectors are overcome with indifference when it comes to micro-varieties. The best you can usually hope for in a description is an overdate, legend variety or anything else that's obvious.

"overcome with indifference" - I like that oxymoron! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Are you calling me a nerdy type ? Surely that must be classified as a hate crime ?

No it's a comparison of equals. We're all nerdy types, just our subject matter is different. Typically, when someone visits the table and asks if you have a particular type of coin,  you point out the desirability of a particular variety at which point most shrug their shoulders and tell you they are just looking for a cheap, decent basic example. Maybe 10-20% are looking for the more esoteric.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

And today's "Fun With Flags" is being presented by a special guest, Secret Santa... :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, oldcopper said:

"overcome with indifference" - I like that oxymoron! 

The correct term is 'overwhelmed with indifference.'

26 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

The correct term is 'overwhelmed with indifference.'

Who promoted you to pedant in chief? Peck's still in office as far as I am aware. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

Who promoted you to pedant in chief? Peck's still in office as far as I am aware. :huh:

Mmm. Sense of humour bypass carried out I see.

Edited by DaveG38

19 hours ago, Rob said:

Hmmm, that's an interesting one, since the 1853 plain and italic dates do attract dealer attention, but apart from Gouby's website there is no reference detailing variants of that date. As far as I know anyway.

So the conclusion has to be that the difference in 1853 date style is sufficiently eye catching to a critical mass of dealers and collectors, such that it's become widely recognised.   

***NERD AND PROUD OF IT***

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

***NERD AND PROUD OF IT***

You've been pencilled in for a guest appearance on "Fun With Flags". :lol:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Well can I just emphasise I am not a nerd - my anorak is festooned with the coolest badges of course.

Secondly, shouldn't that be pedant-in-chief?

• Haha 3

Finally managed to obtain a choice specimen F148 1897 high tide, after many years of one just eluding me. Private sale arranged with Cooper's Coins before it went on their website.   

Special nod to Pete for the heads up. 

high tide 1897 rev.jpg

high tide 1987 obv.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Finally managed to obtain a choice specimen F148 1897 high tide, after many years of one just eluding me. Private sale arranged with Cooper's Coins before it went on their website.   

Special nod to Pete for the heads up. 

high tide 1897 rev.jpg

high tide 1987 obv.jpg

Very nice. I am not jealous at all.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow....I paid what I think is a lot for a nice EF one a few years ago, but mine looks like it was sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found,

subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters compared to your one!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Very nice. I am not jealous at all.😁

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Wow....I paid what I think is a lot for a nice EF one a few years ago, but mine looks like it was sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found,

subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters compared to your one!

I just got lucky, chaps. Also, I've been waiting a very long time. 

It was expensive, but still a very fair price for something as good.

They are astoundingly difficult to locate in high grade, especially as high grade as this specimen. Don't think I'll need to upgrade anytime soon. 

• Like 3

A 1921 F191 missing waves finally arrived from the US. Not really a variety but the first coin that I've bought for a while. 

359121402_1921F191missingwavesrev.JPG.89503d6e5ab3c07ef88bc1ec5afbf77e.JPG

• Like 4

Nice- how many extant?

I don't know - I think it was Terry that mentioned it on here a while ago and I've been looking out for one. Maybe someone else can shed more light ?

It is very very interesting to me how many need to exist before a variety like a 'missing sea' commands a premium.

The psychology of it is fascinating.  I'm waiting for some more 1880 missing sea type to turn up,

so my seemingly only child example might accrue value...:)

Mind you, I don't think the guy or gal who finds an 1863 penny with a '1' beneath the date will be in the same position....

Maybe the feeling that it may well exist is like those scientists who could see a hole in the periodic table, and tried to discover an element that fitted....

( 'A tale of seven elements' by Eric R. Scerri is well worth a read if you like this sort of stuff. )