British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

My latest penny received to day from the Coin King CGS 75

1860.jpg

• Like 5

PS according to CGS it's a Freeman 13 which I think is one of the more common types. As far as I am concerned it is a  good example as I do not collect minor penny types. As far as I would go would be Low Tide , KN & H mint marks.

18 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

PS according to CGS it's a Freeman 13 which I think is one of the more common types. As far as I am concerned it is a  good example as I do not collect minor penny types. As far as I would go would be Low Tide , KN & H mint marks.

Yes, Freeman 13, looks a decent example with reasonable lustre. Ticks all my boxes!

Jerry

I was also watching that one Pete. Seller made me an offer through ebay because I was watching. He asked for £75, but I don't need as have better example.

May be a useful purchase for someone for that price, or perhaps even a few £ less.

20 minutes ago, alfnail said:

I was also watching that one Pete. Seller made me an offer through ebay because I was watching. He asked for £75, but I don't need as have better example.

May be a useful purchase for someone for that price, or perhaps even a few £ less.

Just out of curiosity, how does anyone see who is watching an item on Ebay? I have been selling there for years and never found a way of doing it - I can see how many are watching, but not who. Any regular Ebay sellers know how?

I'm not sure you can Paddy, but I've noticed recently there's an option to send an offer to interested parties, so presumably you pick a number and it automatically sends it to those watching. It's the blanket spam button I think. :)

Ah yes - I see that now - that explains it! Thanks.

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Another 1858 F/B now slabbed by CGS.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Penny-1858-No-WW-S3948/353038302858

This has been on a while and as mentioned you dont see them attributed.

I've just noticed that the second A in BRITANNIAR is filled at the bottom. Mine's the same. Are they all like that?

1858 F over B (s) (2).jpg

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I've just noticed that the second A in BRITANNIAR is filled at the bottom. Mine's the same. Are they all like that?

Yes, goes back to the first Reverse die for CP1841, fault was A/A which carried through the series, 

Thanks John. I'm surprised I've not spotted that before. I've had a look through Richard's to see where it pops up across the series. 

Must pay more attention. :D

I bought this thinking it was a F18 (and probably overpaid in that case), but is this actually a F21 with the bust so close to the outer border ? 

F21 detail.JPG

F21 reverse.JPG

F21.JPG

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JLS said:

I bought this thinking it was a F18 (and probably overpaid in that case), but is this actually a F21 with the bust so close to the outer border ? 

F21 detail.JPG

F21 reverse.JPG

F21.JPG

yes its an F21,  well done

1 minute ago, terrysoldpennies said:

yes its an F21,  well done

Nice, thanks for the confirmation ! Now I just have the dilemma of whether to try to remove the gunk from the reverse or not...

@secret santa, you're welcome to add these photos to the rare pennies site if F21 makes the cut, so to speak. 

10 minutes ago, JLS said:

Nice, thanks for the confirmation ! Now I just have the dilemma of whether to try to remove the gunk from the reverse or not...

@secret santa, you're welcome to add these photos to the rare pennies site if F21 makes the cut, so to speak. 

Indeed, very well done. Obverse 3 is quite difficult to spot sometimes.

You could perhaps try an overnight soak in balsamic vinegar to remove the verd. It'll leave a dark patch, but that is obviously better than the way it looks at present. Alternatively a several month soak in olive oil.

33 minutes ago, JLS said:

Well done! I would definitely remove the verdigris, and start by removing as much as you can with a sharpened cocktail stick before using acids. If you have a binocular microscope and a steady hand a blunt needle is useful but only picking at the verd, obviously.

Are you still after an F18? I have spares, in fine or a little better, for what I paid  ie much cheaper than you bid for the F21! If you want pm me and I will take photos.

Jerry

55 minutes ago, JLS said:

@secret santa, you're welcome to add these photos to the rare pennies site if F21 makes the cut, so to speak

If you're going to tidy it up a bit, I may wait.

21 minutes ago, jelida said:

Well done! I would definitely remove the verdigris, and start by removing as much as you can with a sharpened cocktail stick before using acids. If you have a binocular microscope and a steady hand a blunt needle is useful but only picking at the verd, obviously.

Take a short piece of the brown or blue from a length of twin and earth flat grey cable.

Bare the end a bit, and file the tip to a chisel.

It's soft annealed copper, so won't scratch the bronze at all.

Works a treat!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

You could perhaps try an overnight soak in balsamic vinegar to remove the verd. It'll leave a dark patch, but that is obviously better than the way it looks at present. Alternatively a several month soak in olive oil.

Feel a bit cautious regarding balsamic vinegar - would it not strip the obverse patina ? 

I'm used to using olive oil but from my experience it won't totally eliminate the verdigris on a coin like this, without keeping it in so long that it changes the color of the coin. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jelida said:

Are you still after an F18? I have spares, in fine or a little better, for what I paid  ie much cheaper than you bid for the F21! If you want pm me and I will take photos.

Thanks, Pm'd.

5 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Take a short piece of the brown or blue from a length of twin and earth flat grey cable.

Works a treat!

This is an interesting suggestion and I'll try it out ! I might see if I've got a corroded common bun penny in my junk box to practice with first, not keen to damage the F21 at all given the number of specimens around. 

JLS, I've added the picture in its current state and will replace it if you manage to smarten it up.

Would you like me to attribute it to you personally (if so, let me know your name) ?

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

JLS, I've added the picture in its current state and will replace it if you manage to smarten it up.

Would you like me to attribute it to you personally (if so, let me know your name) ?

Yes - Pm'd. 

After cleaning with a sharp toothpick this morning, it's looking a bit better. 

478748369_f21cleaned.JPG.fceab8cd8105fb3bb1d2fcb3b3f5fab0.JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Works a treat!

Now that is a good idea, will give it a try, next time verd comes my way!

Jerry