British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Get rid of that spot above the date ;)

I have tried.

1841 1d (4).jpg

• Like 1

Got a nice BP1860P at DNW auction last week (their pic). I've been looking for a good quality specimen for a long time - seems to be reasonably scarce.

1860 F15 var P obv.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful, would have been a good price even for a standard F10! 

Jerry

Yes, nice one Ian. Well played that man ! B)

Well my Freeman 69 from John's halfcrown and penny auction through PFK, arrived today. Very pleased. I do genuinely think it deserves a spot in this thread, as it's not often you can get such a rare coin in VF or above.

There are a few slight edge knocks, and a bit of a divot from the Shield across the upper part of Britannia's legs, which don't detract given the rarity. Otherwise problem free. Fields are nice and clear.

penny1874 F69 rev.jpg

penny F69 obverse.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 4

Very nice coin, Mike. It's a little more common than the F76 but there aren't many nice ones around.

• Like 1

Nice one Mike, good pickup! 

btw...Have you ever noticed the large number of coin collectors named Michael? Michael Freeman, Michael Gouby, and Michael (1949Threepence)! :)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Very nice coin, Mike. It's a little more common than the F76 but there aren't many nice ones around.

19 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Nice one Mike, good pickup! 

btw...Have you ever noticed the large number of coin collectors named Michael? Michael Freeman, Michael Gouby, and Michael (1949Threepence)! :)

Thanks chaps. Until you recenly posted a pic of a GEF example, Richard, I'd never actually seen one better than fine. The vast majority less than that. So it was with great satisfaction that I anaged to bag that one for such a relatively low price.

Yes Bob, there do seem to be a few Michael's about. But none of us Michael's take the Mick, we're all serious :P

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

They must of been busy yesterday Mike as one i bought arrived today :D

What was it, Pete? 

47 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What was it, Pete? 

Nothing exciting a 1908 F164...... i only bought it as you dont see many of them.

Or maybe its just that i have a coin buying addiction :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Nothing exciting a 1908 F164...... i only bought it as you dont see many of them.

Bit like me then :ph34r:

The F164 is not actually touted as a scarce coin. But in UNC condition it's going to be far from common. You got it for a neat price. 

Surprised Matt didn't have one in his collection though.

• Like 1

Bought this about a month ago .......

ceqMhL.jpg

TpmpI9.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

If anyone is reading this :)

The one listed without a picture on the Mark Rasmussen site is a F166........ i know as returned it and although he agreed he has not changed the description.

Edited by PWA 1967

Just bought on Ebay a nice example of the 1905 with smaller zero in the date as reported by Terry Eagleton earlier this year.

1905 F160 small 0 rev.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Just bought on Ebay a nice example of the 1905 with smaller zero in the date as reported by Terry Eagleton earlier this year.

1905 F160 small 0 rev.JPG

I wondered if that was you bidding Richard.  Nice buy , they seem to be pretty scarce.      Terry

• Like 1

Can I have a Freeman number for this please anyone. Also, the E in PENNY looks like an F, although the end of it can be seen

IMG_0693.PNG

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, azda said:

Can I have a Freeman number for this please anyone. Also, the E in PENNY looks like an F, although the end of it can become seen

IMG_0693.PNG

It's a Freeman 52. 

Probably a worn die caused the E to appear like an F. Bit like the 1860 Gouby X - "ONF PENNY".

My Freeman 25 has the right arm of the Y of PENNY, partially missing in much the same way.       

• Like 1

Thanks Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azda said:

Thanks Mike

Nice coin, Dave. 

48 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Nice coin, Dave. 

Lots of eye appeal