British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

For those that don't know, the 1862 was mis-attributed and was graded as a normal 1862 halfpenny, now the dilemma is whether to send it back to them for re-attribution as i'm going to be selling it.......

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hat off Dave and glad it arrived safely ;)

I was sweating today Pete, DHL came and only gave me a packet for the boss and some Coldplay concert tickets, but i had notice that it was on his van, i even showed him and he said he didn't have it. I checked 40 mins later the email notice and it said it had been delivered which then got my head going, i went to the postbox and there was another 2 packets......Sweat off :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azda said:

For those that don't know, the 1862 was mis-attributed and was graded as a normal 1862 halfpenny, now the dilemma is whether to send it back to them for re-attribution as i'm going to be selling it.......

Thats a no brainer must be re slabbed...maybe they will do it FOC.

The benefit is they are not going to change the grade,i would send straight away making a valued point that it was not attributed before :)

Yes i'm hoping for free of charge, but going to call them tomorrow and see what they say about sending it back in and if there's a fee for their error

On 10/20/2016 at 5:15 PM, Paulus said:

Nice rarity there Dave! Spink guide price of £4k!

@Paulus Sold by DNW £4200 hammer Sept 2016 and graded as GEF, so we can throw Spink out of the window as prices fluctuate. Trying to narrow down where mine may have come from and thought possibly the Ex Cheshire sold at Goldbergs, but this was as it turns out in an NGC slab, no pictures unfortunately and also MS63

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/content/?page_id=3145

image01427.jpg

Edited by azda

30 minutes ago, azda said:

@Paulus Sold by DNW £4200 hammer Sept 2016 and graded as GEF, so we can throw Spink out of the window for UNC. Trying to narrow down where mine may have come from and thought possibly the Ex Cheshire sold at Goldbergs, but this was as it turns out in an NGC slab, no pictures unfortunately and also MS63

image01427.jpg

That's a B though, aren't they a good deal rarer?

Stonking windfall I'm sure Dave, whatever yours fetches ;)

21 minutes ago, Paulus said:

That's a B though, aren't they a good deal rarer?

Stonking windfall I'm sure Dave, whatever yours fetches ;)

The footnote from the DNW lot.......In hindsight there is more B dies than quoted by Michael Freeman. I have to get mine re-attributed

Die letter A is R17 and B is R18, although with more of the die letter B being found it would probably be more like R17 as with die letter A. As with silver in ESC, their rarities are higher in higher grades (an assumption though)

Footnote

Michael Freeman’s 2006 rarity rating of “6-15” specimens known may, with the benefit of hindsight, be regarded as a slight underestimate. At least 9 other examples, mostly in fine condition or less, have been offered at auction since 2006. However, the present piece outgrades by a considerable margin every other 1862 halfpenny with a die letter seen in commerce. The only pieces that in any way approach this one for grade are two with the more frequently met with die letter A (’Cheshire’ Collection, Goldberg, 30 May 2005, 3107, $2,700; London Coins, 1 March 2009, 555, £1,700)

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

I would just get it reslabbed and put in auction with a sensible reserve and get rid of it......:)

The number of half penny collectors who will spend a few quid is better being left to an auction house and left with them to maximise the money.

Maybe as PCGS slabbed Heritage may be an option.

Edited by PWA 1967

5 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I would just get it reslabbed and put in auction with a sensible reserve and get rid of it......:)

The number of half penny collectors who will spend a few quid is better being left to an auction house and left with them to maximise the money.

Maybe as PCGS slabbed Heritage may be an option.

Getting it reslabbed is a certainty, next Paris grading week is 14th -18th Nov

Just now, azda said:

Getting it reslabbed is a certainty, next Paris grading week is 14th -18th Nov

Sent you a message of which you may want to consider :)

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sent you a message of which you may want to consider :)

Replied ;)

On 22/10/2016 at 9:36 AM, azda said:

@Paulus Sold by DNW £4200 hammer Sept 2016 and graded as GEF, so we can throw Spink out of the window as prices fluctuate. Trying to narrow down where mine may have come from and thought possibly the Ex Cheshire sold at Goldbergs, but this was as it turns out in an NGC slab, no pictures unfortunately and also MS63

image01427.jpg

Would seem strange to have provenance, seeing as anyone who had it should have known what they had, or at least auction houses/potential bidders would see and the price would've been higher. I reckon this one's passed through private sales through the years..

6 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Would seem strange to have provenance, seeing as anyone who had it should have known what they had, or at least auction houses/potential bidders would see and the price would've been higher. I reckon this one's passed through private sales through the years..

Very true, my thinking was though that perhaps through the last 20 or so years it may have been taken out of the capsule or a holder and moved around, i'm probably more baffled how no one has seen it since 1862 but it's not a huge problem, just interesting. It will be correctly labeled in Novemeber though

Just now, azda said:

Very true, my thinking was though that perhaps through the last 20 or so years it may have been taken out of the capsule or a holder and moved around, i'm probably more baffled how no one has seen it since 1862 but it's not a huge problem, just interesting. It will be correctly labeled in Novemeber though

Yeah definitely interesting, especially as it's been kept in such good nick. Would love to hear if you did find it anywhere!

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

Yeah definitely interesting, especially as it's been kept in such good nick. Would love to hear if you did find it anywhere!

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open, but won't hold my breath, if it's been through a sale room somewhere then it should have been spotted, IMO it's probably come from a private sale

Sorry it's Manx again. :)

Isle of Man 1786 penny (3).jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Sorry it's Manx again. :)

Isle of Man 1786 penny (3).jpg

Very nice too, Jon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very nice too, Jon. 

The halfpenny's a little better:

Isle of Man halfpenny 1786 (3).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

The halfpenny's a little better:

Isle of Man halfpenny 1786 (3).jpg

Just for a secind I read that as "the halfpenny's a little belter" - actually that would be true as well. Very nice coin :) 

I think somebody's pulling your leg - or one of them, anyway :)

• Like 1

Well, courtesy of a private sale by Ian, I've managed to get my hands on a very nice Freeman 18, (2 + D), thus adding to my 1861 series.

The coin looks much better in hand than on the photo, and, in hand, there is the merest hint of lustre trace in the devices.

Freeman 18 reverse.jpg

Freeman 18 obverse.jpg

• Like 2

Another tick on the list!

Nice coin :) how many 1861 varieties have you got now?

6 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Another tick on the list!

Nice coin :) how many 1861 varieties have you got now?

Eight, Matt - the 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 29, 32 & 33.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a 26, but the others will be very to extremely difficult, even in low grade. Indeed, some, like the 19, 23 & 27, not to mention most of the proofs, will be virtually impossible. So if I get a 21, 26 plus one proof, I'll happily draw a line under the series, unless, by great good fortune, one of the aforesaid impossibilities, presents itself at some point. Could be an extremely long wait for any one of those real rarities, verging on the unique, to even come up for sale, let alone for me to be able to afford and win it.