British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

perhaps you could advise me on why a number of the letters are much thinner in some examples I have.  Here for example a very thin G ?  Is it down to the pressure applied to the punch? Or a letter stamp that is cut thinner?  This is on an 1862.   I find it interesting that the Mint would have any variability in the punches , whilst I accept that the penny is a lot less important than silver or gold,  you would think that there might be a small tray in some corner where the dies are kept and the punches alongside all checked and ready (sorry for my oversimplification) hence there would never be a mixture of type.  as an example that 1862 farthing with an 8 that seems to have nothing to do with the fat or small  appearing.  Or why the half penny numerals are mistakenly used.  Working practices intrigue me LOL 

CM230122-115814005 (400x640).jpg

CM230122-115816006 (319x640).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

I would have thought that in those days the letter repair punches would have been hand made , and therefore every one would be very slightly different , also when the working dies were repaired the depth of the strike would vary in accordance with how hard the punch was struck. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I would have thought that in those days the letter repair punches would have been hand made , and therefore every one would be very slightly different , also when the working dies were repaired the depth of the strike would vary in accordance with how hard the punch was struck. 

Yes that may also help answer a question that I wondered about for many years in the 1860 pennies which show often a very fine lettering under re-punched,  almost as if a different punch was initially used,   (although the profile is often "curley" as well as more delicate). Perhaps this is a working practice issue again.  The hardened  steel for the new bronzes would have needed to be different to the method used for the copper  and strength applied perhaps to get the punch to go deep enough to get the impression on the bronze as opposed the copper.  Although we do have a diary note that he did have to recut and harden a new set of punches for the bronze and they kept failing.  

Just received this penny yesterday.  Although I'm not a fan of slabbed coin n no idea why it's graded as AU, I'm still happy to secure this 1858 penny.

IMG_20230201_002747_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 5

Well done ,i assume you know what variety it is and yes daft American grading 😀

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well done ,i assume you know what variety it is and yes daft American grading 😀

Ha yes, american grading, everything is AU😂.  Large rose small date (hope correct), pity that there are dirt on it, however if it is not imperfect, i think it will be out of my reach.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Ha yes, american grading, everything is AU😂.  Large rose small date (hope correct), pity that there are dirt on it, however if it is not imperfect, i think it will be out of my reach.

Neat capture Bruce. 

• Like 1

I would grade it as EF , while there is little wear it is noticeable and the obverse has slight problems as well .

Was the graders name mutly (Always dreaming!)

• Like 1

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, copper123 said:

I would grade it as EF , while there is little wear it is noticeable and the obverse has slight problems as well .

Was the graders name mutly (Always dreaming!)

Maybe bit more harsh, gVF to me, anyway, no where near AU.

10 hours ago, Bruce said:

I'd grade as EF/gVF. Despite the dirt patches, the obverse detail is EF.

Reverse about gVF.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I'd grade as EF/gVF. Despite the dirt patches, the obverse detail is EF.

Reverse about gVF.

I agree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bruce said:

There is an  massive gulf between gvf and AU  I wonder if these gradeing companies employ children and threaten them with a slipper if they dont do as they say

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

There is an  massive gulf between gvf and AU  I wonder if these gradeing companies employ children and threaten them with a slipper if they dont do as they say

That's how I run my workshop.

My accountant has managed to arrange for me to get tax relief on the slippers!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

That's how I run my workshop.

My accountant has managed to arrange for me to get tax relief on the slippers!

Yes Blakey I have a picture of you with your understudy

mutt.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, copper123 said:

unfortunately, that is the American system for you - everything is "AU" right down to GVF :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

unfortunately, that is the American system for you - everything is "AU" right down to GVF :(

Their grading standards seem much looser than ours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Their grading standards seem much looser than ours.

Undoubtedly yes, and they like everything in a small plastic box

• Like 1

One i have just got back from NGC MS65BN  ,lovely tone for a scarce year in high grade.

1865-m.jpg

• Like 9

Lovely coin - certainly scarce in THAT condition.

• Like 1

1826 Penny also just back from NGC MS65BN ,really nice in hand and again with a lovely tone.

1826-m.jpg

• Like 6