British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

23 minutes ago, jelida said:

Interesting, but are you sure there isn’t a join between the beads and the rim in the first image? It’s amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a lathe - but I hope I’m wrong. If genuine that would be a great price, though I am surprised that obverse and reverse dies were interchangeable.

Jerry

That was my immediate thought too. The dark circle showing where the reverse of one coin has been sunk into the body of a second appears very obvious. The cut even clips through some of the beads.

• Like 3

Loads of double sided TWO PENCE coins produced using this very clever method for a few pounds.  Loads of 1967 (etc) Pennies available for a skilled craftsman to work the majic on.

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Interesting, but are you sure there isn’t a join between the beads and the rim in the first image? It’s amazing what a skilled craftsman can do with a lathe - but I hope I’m wrong. If genuine that would be a great price, though I am surprised that obverse and reverse dies were interchangeable.

Jerry

I'd agree with that. Looks like a craftsman job, but nice all the same.

Very clever, and a little bit like this so called Freeman 189, 1920 penny

On 3/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, 1949threepence said:

Very clever, and a little bit like this so called Freeman 189, 1920 penny

Yes, there's an obvious groove inside the obverse rim.

21 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, there's an obvious groove inside the obverse rim.

More neatly done though than the 1967 penny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Quite pleased to find this one as a BIN on ebay.

Obverse 2 with 145 Teeth.jpg

1860 2* obverse I presume? These do seem to remain remarkably scarce. Well done.

Jerry

• Like 2

I've a certified double reverse 1964 penny, but my 1970 proof double sided was deemed counterfeit by PCGS. I did not see anything obvious - can't remember as I think it came from DNW, er, Noo-nah's (I think that's it).

A really nice MS64 RED 1913 F176 from Spink on Wednesday ,not attributed.

Interesting that the coin has sold now at least twice by two major auction houses and owned by different vendors ,however nobody has looked to see what type it is.

279564469_363815655718587_509544174728664093_n.jpg

• Like 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980809514

This coin has been backwards and forwards too and from America enough hopefully.

It originally sold in the Workman sale ,then was in Baldwin St.James  Paul Hayward sale (unsold £200-300 estimate) ,now back to the uk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980809514

This coin has been backwards and forwards too and from America enough hopefully.

It originally sold in the Workman sale ,then was in Baldwin St.James  Paul Hayward sale (unsold £200-300 estimate) ,now back to the uk.

Nice specimen.

I got one last year - not quite as good as yours, but not too far off - for just £4.64.

Scarce, rather than desperately rare, although obviously going to be difficult to find in higher grade.

Gee found 8 out of an identifiable 372, which is about 1 in 47. That compares with 1 in 846 for the F169.

link here 

• Like 1

Really pleased to have obtained this ex Copthorne collection 1853 copper proof. You don't see many copper proofs from the Victoria era, so when this one cropped up, with provenance, I decided to snap it up.

ex copthorne clearer date cropped.jpg

ex copthorne rev cropped.jpg

• Like 8

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa', really nice with toned lustre peripherally. Expensive I know (over £2900) but a nice clear Gorgon's head. And missed the VAT!

Jerry

image281.jpg

image282.jpg

• Like 9

And a cheap $10 wide date 1889.

image283.jpg

image284.jpg

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, jelida said:

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa'

Jerry, can you email pics to Michael Gouby so that he can update his Medusa document.

29 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Jerry, can you email pics to Michael Gouby so that he can update his Medusa document.

I have already given the details to Michael.

Jerry

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Here is the Stephen Album 'Medusa', really nice with toned lustre peripherally. Expensive I know (over £2900) but a nice clear Gorgon's head. And missed the VAT!

Jerry

Well worth it though.

That's the thing with these rarities, you've got to be prepared to "splash the cash".  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well worth it though.

That's the thing with these rarities, you've got to be prepared to "splash the cash".  

Exactly what I thought when I got my 1930 halfcrown last year!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

image281.jpg

image282.jpg

Lovely Medusa penny, congratulations to your latest additions through Stephen Album.

• Like 1