British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Thanks,price has just gone up for something i and probably others have been watching all week 👎

40 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks,price has just gone up for something i and probably others have been watching all week 👎

In this case I think wider exposure is quite fair as the owner is clearly unaware of what it is. So beneficial to him. Why shouldn't he get the best price possible? 

We're quick enough to jump on sellers (and expose it) if they're misrepresenting something, even if inadvertently. As evidenced in "e bay's worst offerings". So this is the other side of the coin, no pun intended.  

I may well bid for it myself. You'll know if I do ;)  

• Like 1

Careful Mike, auction still open on that coin, you risk upsetting someone!

13 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

In this case I think wider exposure is quite fair as the owner is clearly unaware of what it is. So beneficial to him. Why shouldn't he get the best price possible? 

We're quick enough to jump on sellers (and expose it) if they're misrepresenting something, even if inadvertently. As evidenced in "e bay's worst offerings". So this is the other side of the coin, no pun intended.  

I may well bid for it myself. You'll know if I do ;)  

Yes its your call to post what you want ,although i think the only person your helping is the seller who will be happy anyway to get more than he expected.

The hundreds of people going on the forum who dont post ,maybe one of those will be greatfull.I just think to share a coin is if at all at least better posted in the members section.

I also wonder if you would of shared the coin for dozens to see if you had wanted it.

I am sure you have spotted numerous spending hours looking and would be dissapointed to see a lot more bidders forcing the price up.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I think I'll add this to the rare penny website - can I ask any owners to send me their pictures please.

There were 15 x 1843 DFF's in my 5 year study (2007 to 2012) of all ebay Victorian Copper Penny listings Richard.  

7 minutes ago, alfnail said:

There were 15 x 1843 DFF's in my 5 year study (2007 to 2012) of all ebay Victorian Copper Penny listings Richard.  

15 in 5 years - just about qualifies for entry. I wonder where they are now ? Come on guys - let's see them all.

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes its your call to post what you want ,although i think the only person your helping is the seller who will be happy anyway to get more than he expected.

The hundreds of people going on the forum who dont post ,maybe one of those will be greatfull.I just think to share a coin is if at all ateleast better posted in the members section.

I also wonder if you would of shared the coin for dozens to see if you had wanted it.

I am sure you have spotted numerous spending hours looking and would be dissapointed to see a lot more bidders forcing the price up.

You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree for the reasons already stated. 

6 minutes ago, secret santa said:

15 in 5 years - just about qualifies for entry. I wonder where they are now ? Come on guys - let's see them all.

There's 4 at LCA, Richard - link to 1843's

6.3.16 - lot 3115

1.6.14 - lot 1881

1.9.13 - lot 2623

1.9.13 - lot 2624

Interesting this conversation on the relative rarities of the 1843 and 56 pennies. While not a serious or scientific study, some idea of relative rarity can be derived from the LCA sales over the last 20 years.

1843 sold total 44 coins, 19 absent colon and 25 colon present of which 5 are DFF.

1856 sold  total 65 coins, of which 46 plain trident and 19 ornamental trident.

This would suggest that 1843 is the rarer date, though of the varieties 1843 no colon and 1856 OT are found in similar numbers. The total sample of 109 coins is likely to give a reasonable degree of accuracy, but not absolute- is there a statistician in the house?

The prices paid for these latter coins, even in VG or corroded, tends to hover around £100.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Have sent you folder of pictures; think may have been only 12 after trying to discount duplicates over the 5 years. Different sellers can have quite different pictures of same coin so it's always difficult to be 100% sure...see what you think.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

here's 4 at LCA, Richard - link to 1843's

6.3.16 - lot 3115

1.6.14 - lot 1881

1.9.13 - lot 2623

1.9.13 - lot 2624

Thanks Mike but lot 2623 isn't a DFF

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Careful Mike, auction still open on that coin, you risk upsetting someone!

This sounds interesting, but i have no idea which coin is for sale. 🤔

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Thanks Mike but lot 2623 isn't a DFF

Sorry Richard. 

Richard,

In addition to the 1843 DFF's which I have emailed to you, which fell within my 2007 to 2012 study, I also bought this one on ebay in June 2017, sold again on ebay  later that year.

508615605_1843Obverse.thumb.jpg.34613b1890aa7ed550edac3b3a890895.jpg608577831_1843Reverse.thumb.jpg.8f7ff48f18e6b19c4667951d9f0d956c.jpg608577831_1843Reverse.thumb.jpg.8f7ff48f18e6b19c4667951d9f0d956c.jpg 

• Like 1

Me again Richard.

Re. the 3 1843 DFF's sold at LC:-

Lot 3115 is also the first coin from the 12 I have sent you pictures (which I numbered 1006). It was sold on ebay in December 2008, I bought it at LC in March 2016 and then sold it to a private buyer later that year.

Lot 2624 is also the third coin from the 12 I have sent you pictures (which I numbered 1015). It was sold on ebay in March 2009.

I have no additional information re. LCA Lot 1881 from 2014

Just wanted to prevent duplicate counting!

Thanks Ian - latest coin added to site.

Thanks also for the background on the other 2 coins. Out of interest, how do you know that lot 3115 was sold on Ebay in 2008 ? LCA doesn't mention that in its description. Same with Lot 2624.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, secret santa said:

I think I'll add this to the rare penny website - can I ask any owners to send me their pictures please.

Just looked at it Richard - thanks for the quote and your hard work !

Finding one is going to be difficult. Finding a specimen in high grade is going to be extremely difficult, although hopefully not impossible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Just looked at it Richard - thanks for the quote and your hard work !

Finding one is going to be difficult. Finding a specimen in high grade is going to be extremely difficult, although hopefully not impossible.

Funnily enough I was just looking at SNC June 1987 for something else, and there was an Almost EF one for £140 - so high grade ones do exist. They didn't notice the DFF, but you can see it in the photo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Funnily enough I was just looking at SNC June 1987 for something else, and there was an Almost EF one for £140 - so high grade ones do exist. They didn't notice the DFF, but you can see it in the photo.

Indeed - over 34 years ago ! 

I daresay there are many collectors who have never read Bramah (as the book is so rare) and are completely unaware of the DFF variant. Of course, Peck doesn't mention it, and as far as I know they are literally the only two books of significance on copper between 1797 and 1860. 

Actually I didn't make any purchase, but I visited the coin shop and ask my friend to borrow an image of 1874 Halfpenny for learning purpose.  By referring to Richard's site, it's die 7J.  Am I correct?

1874 Halfpenny O.jpg

1874 Halfpenny R.jpg

1874 Halfpenny R2.jpg