British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

Just purchased a 1860 Penny at a local coin shop for learning purpose.  There are many many varieties, and would like to know how to define the die combination of this one.

Yes, try my varieties website, Bruce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Yes, try my varieties website, Bruce.

Thank you Richard, it is a very comprehensive site.  i bookmarked it already, so that i can consistently refer to.

8 hours ago, alfnail said:

Yes, there are lots of different varieties, even for just 1860 alone; far too many to try to explain on the forum in one post.

Suggest you either buy a book, or read Richards website....or both!

Fyi this coin is a Freeman 16, which is actually one of the more difficult varieties in 1860, and even in an average grade is quite a nice buy. May I ask what you paid for it?

Thank you for your advice, n i have bookmarked Richard's site already.😁 

Thanks for your suggestion about die combination of the 1860 penny as well.  It is a very interesting date, and have to spend some times on studying all varieties info.  After check my books, it is HKD150 which is around £14.  I purchased it together with other 2 pennies on that date.  Shall post it later when back to home.

Edited by Bruce

In my opinion the F16 is worth far more than £14, so you have done very well I think. 

• Thanks 1

Here are the other 2 I bought together with the 1860.

UK 1843 1 Penny Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1843 1 Penny Reverse (small).jpg

UK 1856 1 Penny Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1856 1 Penny Reverse (small).jpg

• Like 5

That 1843 is a rare coin and the 1856 is scarce!  Where is this coin shop again? 😉

Note also that the 1843 is the type with the missing colon after REG.

Jerry

3 minutes ago, jelida said:

That 1843 is a rare coin and the 1856 is scarce!  Where is this coin shop again? 😉

Note also that the 1843 is the type with the missing colon after REG.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, the shop is in Hong Kong.  My friend, the owner, said he bought this box of collection from UK few years ago.  I also tried to locate a 1849 in the box but failed😅.

Although these 2 are not in top grade, but it help a lot to fill my collection of Young head penny.  

15 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Hi Jerry, the shop is in Hong Kong.  My friend, the owner, said he bought this box of collection from UK few years ago.  I also tried to locate a 1849 in the box but failed😅.

Although these 2 are not in top grade, but it help a lot to fill my collection of Young head penny.  

Well I must say Bruce, together with the F16, you've bought three amazing examples. Well played.

I would describe the 1856 PT as rare and the 1843 as scarce  there is also the OT 1856 which makes most penny collectors want 2 coins of this year - the 1843 is of similar rarity but as there are not two varieties most think its more common .

Both coins are, while not in the best of grade , collectable.

Edited by copper123

42 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I would describe the 1856 PT as rare and the 1843 as scarce  there is also the OT 1856 which makes most penny collectors want 2 coins of this year - the 1843 is of similar rarity but as there are not two varieties most think its more common .

Both coins are while not in the best of grade are collectable.

Although for the 1843 there are the minor varieties with DEF and DFF Types, albeit both with Ornamental Tridents.

4 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Although for the 1843 there are the minor varieties with DEF and DFF Types, albeit both with Ornamental Tridents.

And the colon or no colon after REG as I comment above.

Jerry

Think you would get around £140 for the 1856 and £40 for the 1843 only aprox values of course - I really love the 1856

1 hour ago, jelida said:

And the colon or no colon after REG as I comment above.

Jerry

I have the following types:

1. DFF, Orn Trident, REG:
2. DEF, Orn Trident, REG:
3. DEF, Orn Trident, REG

Am I looking for a DFF, REG (no colon) type as well?

Edited by DaveG38
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I have the following types:

1. DFF, Orn Trident, REG:
2. DEF, Orn Trident, REG:
3. DEF, Orn Trident, REG

Am I looking for a DFF, REG (no colon) type as well?

Don't think so Dave. I'm pretty sure the same flawed reverse was used to mint the 1844 DFF examples, and they all come with colon after REG.

The 1843 DFF is a rarity within a scarcity. I'd been looking forever, when Ian kindly sold me one in about VF, earlier this year. Was really pleased. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, was happy to sell you the 1843 DFF.

I have never seen a DFF on REG no colon, and very much doubt that it exists.

There is another 1843 REG colon die, which I think is just as worthy as the DFF as being recognised as a variety, and less common than the DFF.......it was probably just never seen by Bramah.

This is the repaired REG colon, which imo is the most obvious colon repair in the entire young head penny series, pictured below for information.    

520942785_1843DoubledREGColons1.thumb.jpg.b3da5cfe0dd479de9437b327b67cdeb6.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Don't think so Dave. I'm pretty sure the same flawed reverse was used to mint the 1844 DFF examples, and they all come with colon after REG.

The 1843 DFF is a rarity within a scarcity. I'd been looking forever, when Ian kindly sold me one in about VF, earlier this year. Was really pleased. 

23 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Envious of one in VF. Mine isn't much better than VG.

20 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks Mike, was happy to sell you the 1843 DFF.

I have never seen a DFF on REG no colon, and very much doubt that it exists.

There is another 1843 REG colon die, which I think is just as worthy as the DFF as being recognised as a variety, and less common than the DFF.......it was probably just never seen by Bramah.

This is the repaired REG colon, which imo is the most obvious colon repair in the entire young head penny series, pictured below for information.    

520942785_1843DoubledREGColons1.thumb.jpg.b3da5cfe0dd479de9437b327b67cdeb6.jpg

Thanks for the info on this interesting variety Ian. 

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

Think you would get around £140 for the 1856 and £40 for the 1843 only aprox values of course - I really love the 1856

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Methinks the 1843 would fetch a fair bit more than £40.

You 2 are both expert, 1843 is a bit higher than £50 while 1856 is slightly lower than £140, so average out it is about the same as per estimation.

I love the 1856 as well, although some scratches on reverse.

1849 penny is the next target. I've seen 1 in auction months ago, but was outbidded. So, have to wait n search again.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Done a better picture of the 1854 / 3 why they are scarce.

1854-3--alt-m.jpg

Lovely, a nice buy.  i have seen this before but didn't spot it, and bought something else instead.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The 1843 DFF is a rarity within a scarcity.

I think I'll add this to the rare penny website - can I ask any owners to send me their pictures please.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think I'll add this to the rare penny website - can I ask any owners to send me their pictures please.

There are certain dates I do a daily narrowed down "advanced" search for in e bay (literally every single day) - 1843 is one of those dates, mainly to see if I can find an "ordinary" 1843 in better shape than the ones I've got. Incredibly a DFF has finally shown up !!! I've been looking every day since April 2020, so in 18 months, this is the first.

link to e bay sale of 1843 DFF !  

• Like 2