British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Hah, now I have to remember where it even is! I will check and hopefully find it later today. LOL

Crikey. I would never not know the precise location of such a coin.  

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

You could always check it against the specimen sold that day. It's very easily identifiable by the yellow smudge at the side of the King's nose - link

Thing is, we buy so many coins over such a long period, that it's easy to lose track of where and when we got them, and especially how much they cost. Looking at a couple of my cabinet trays, I can remember where and roughly when I got most of them, but am a bit more hazy on the exact price of all but the most expensive. Obviously every fine detail of some stick in the mind more than others. But as our memories are not reliable, I keep a hard copy record of all my purchases, in the form of receipts. I print them off if e copies only, as internet records just cannot be relied on to stick around for any length of time. Blink and they've vanished into cyberspace. A hard copy paper record will not disappear (unless the house burns down), so forms a long term reliable record on precisely where and when you got the coin, together with its price.       

That's where my own design of database comes into its own. I began it in the mid-90s - before that it was in a little book, where the dates before early 90s were just the year. I'd be lost without my database, but it has many backups including a couple in the cloud.

6 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's where my own design of database comes into its own. I began it in the mid-90s - before that it was in a little book, where the dates before early 90s were just the year. I'd be lost without my database, but it has many backups including a couple in the cloud.

Yes, I must do one myself at some point. Have fortunately got a record of all with the hard copy receipts. 

One thing I am seriously considering is a website for my penny collection, now that it's nearly complete - although they're never truly complete are they. But need to get some more sophisticated photographic equipment, capable of UHD quality pics, as well as close ups.  

Mine (I found) was ex-Spink 62 sale and slabbed NGC ex-Waterbird. Graded VG10, possibly under graded IMO. No spot there....That was a sneaky steal that I had no right to come away with by recall....LOL

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Mine (I found) was ex-Spink 62 sale and slabbed NGC ex-Waterbird. Graded VG10, possibly under graded IMO. No spot there....That was a sneaky steal that I had no right to come away with by recall....LOL

Sneaky steal is just about right £1100 hammer + 20% juice, so just £1320 for a 192A (lot 62). That is a bargain.

Just been looking at the prices realised in the Spink Waterbird collection. £75,000 for lot No 24, the unique 1808 penny. Interesting.

£5,800 hammer (£6960 overall) for Lot No 46, the 1849 penny. It's a bit better than the one I've got lustre wise, but has a few carbon spots. I think actually mine was a slight bargain for £4,500 especially from Rendel Ingram, who always charges top dollar. But it was one of those cases where they had priced it up several years ago, and for whatever reason it just didn't sell. Then in the meantime the value rose anyway (probably).

Another sneaky steal was lot No 51, the F47 1863 die No 4 at just £2000 hammer. Die No 4 is the most "plentiful" as it were, but most of them are very worn - little more than clear date washers in some cases. That one was a distinct cut above the average.  

link to pics and prices realised    

Spink is interesting, but IMO mostly not in a good way these days. Still, one has to watch their offerings as occasionally something can be had quite reasonably as you have pointed out with excellent examples. Believe it or not, occasionally Heritage can be a source if you keep "your eyes peeled". I believe my 192A was the same coin that had been sold somewhat earlier for nearly twice as much.

Overall, very hard to find much in the way of bargains these days but entertaining to look. I guess compared to proof or high grade gold, some of the pennies and small silver have relatively escaped. In the latter series, a coin such as the 1893 Jub. 6d in top condition probably would not go for great money even though vastly scarcer than the Una gold....

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 10:34 AM, VickySilver said:

Spink is interesting, but IMO mostly not in a good way these days. Still, one has to watch their offerings as occasionally something can be had quite reasonably as you have pointed out with excellent examples. Believe it or not, occasionally Heritage can be a source if you keep "your eyes peeled". I believe my 192A was the same coin that had been sold somewhat earlier for nearly twice as much.

Overall, very hard to find much in the way of bargains these days but entertaining to look. I guess compared to proof or high grade gold, some of the pennies and small silver have relatively escaped. In the latter series, a coin such as the 1893 Jub. 6d in top condition probably would not go for great money even though vastly scarcer than the Una gold....

Picked up one of my 1893 Jub 6d at Waterbird. Nice coin but marred by a couple of scratches. My other one, AU53, I got at Heritage. Both were pricey. There aren't really many bargains around these days unless you can spot something with the coin that isn't listed. I did buy a 1887 JH sixpence with JEB on the truncation for £95 hammer which is very reasonable. It wasn't marked on the NGC slab which is why I think I got away with it.

I remember back in the 1980s and early 1990s buying from Glendinning's and thinking prices were high. Many of these coins look like absolute bargains today.

• Like 1

Just arrived - 1918-KN. A nice addition to my George V penny set

G14TyU.jpg
lFjKk1.jpg

• Like 8

1918kn-f184-2-obv.jpg.707f44735007e3880adb7ad1414eacf9.jpg1918kn-f184-2-rev.jpg.11e80ef592bf52316cc8a98c2027d27e.jpg

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

Just arrived - 1918-KN. A nice addition to my George V penny set

G14TyU.jpg
lFjKk1.jpg

That compares nicely to the one I got off Richard last year. 😊

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 4

Yes, I like those 1918KN coins and hard to pick if I had to. I want to find a 1919H that looks as good - LOL.

I would think the MS64 Jub. 1893 6d would be a good deal scarcer than virtually any of the gold [crazies] as well....

26 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Yes, I like those 1918KN coins and hard to pick if I had to. I want to find a 1919H that looks as good - LOL.

I would think the MS64 Jub. 1893 6d would be a good deal scarcer than virtually any of the gold [crazies] as well....

I would be bidding on that one.

Quite pleased to have picked this one up on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

1861 Freeman 25.jpg

• Like 4

Nothing scarce but a pleasing upgrade for me:

1894 D 12+N 1-side.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Nothing scarce but a pleasing upgrade for me:

Not really scarce as such, but everything from 1887 on is so common that 1894 almost stands out as an exception.

• Like 1

Yes- from about 1969 onwards, I saw loads of late Victorian pennies in change, but only ever one 1894.

It's one of those strange dates that doesn't follow the rules.

• Like 1

Thought I'd post two pennies here today. The first is an 1826 rev A plain saltire. Not the rarest, but this one is in absolutely superb condition. UNC where the red lustre has mostly faded to brown, but still showing through very brightly when the coin is turned. Really pleased with this one.

The second is the 1827 I won from the recent DNW Ian Sawden collection. Again not the best, but these are extremely difficult (if not virtually impossible) to obtain in high grade. Most are worn and pitted. This shows very slight pitting. The story goes that the 1827 mintage was shipped to Australia and that whilst stored in the ship's hold, seawater got in and soaked the coins, thus causing the pitting - some much worse than others. Not seen any official corroboration, but it makes absolute sense, and is wholly believable.  

ETA: an uncirculated 1827 specimen fetched an eye watering £21k hammer at the December 2014 LCA.    

zenny 1826 obv A cropped.jpg

zenny 1826 rev A cropped.jpg

zenny 1827 obv cropped.jpg

zenny 1827 rev cropped.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 6

Nice job. Certainly much nicer than my doggy 1827!

• Like 1

Just purchased a 1860 Penny at a local coin shop for learning purpose.  There are many many varieties, and would like to know how to define the die combination of this one.

UK 1860 1 Penny Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1860 1 Penny Reverse (small).jpg

• Like 2

My pictures are crap but these are more like the F175 looks in hand than the sellers.

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Just purchased a 1860 Penny at a local coin shop for learning purpose.  There are many many varieties, and would like to know how to define the die combination of this one.

UK 1860 1 Penny Obverse (small).jpg

UK 1860 1 Penny Reverse (small).jpg

Yes, there are lots of different varieties, even for just 1860 alone; far too many to try to explain on the forum in one post.

Suggest you either buy a book, or read Richards website....or both!

Fyi this coin is a Freeman 16, which is actually one of the more difficult varieties in 1860, and even in an average grade is quite a nice buy. May I ask what you paid for it?

• Like 1