British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Shame about the fingerprint, but it's great for minimal wear and lustre...

@secret santa Richard - feel free to add this one too to your penny website if you like!

Way past  'scarce', and not a bad price too!

Bargain!

• Like 1

I've added these pics to my website (courtesy of Martin Minerva - but that might not be your real name ?)

Benny Green, the saxophonist and humourist, once told the story of when he was leaving Ronnie Scott's so late at night,

that when he was on the bus home, the two ladies in the seat in front of him were two cleaners on their way to work.

He over heard one lady say to the other:   "Well, of course, Rex Harrison's not his real name",

and the other replied:      "Rex Harrison isn't who's real name? "

This brought the programme to a halt.  I've never forgotten it.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

I've added these pics to my website (courtesy of Martin Minerva - but that might not be your real name ?)

Shall I try some pictures as well?

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1874H off eBay NOT attributed F76 and scarce.

Well spotted Pete, and added to my website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Shall I try some pictures as well?

Please, or email them to me.

Well this doesn't happen often. At the market yesterday a chap brought me a small box of coins including 8 1908 Pennies all around AU! I believe they are all F166, so not desperately scarce, but uncommon with this amount of lustre.

I cannot possibly use all of these - I will post in the For Sale section in case anybody needs one.

679610559_1908DsbulkRed.thumb.JPG.45c3ad7a4a7493dbdf7f0d9e8a0bc609.JPG

• Like 3

Here is one of them for detail:

1908 D 2+D ex 3-side.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Here is one of them for detail:

1908 D 2+D ex 3-side.JPG

Strange lack of detail on brits lower body , really lovely apart from that, Edwards head is superb !

Yes - I think it is evidence of weak strike rather than wear. Each of the 8 coins has a different level of detail in Britannia, but the rest of the coin is so sharp I think it has to be weak strike.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yes - I think it is evidence of weak strike rather than wear. Each of the 8 coins has a different level of detail in Britannia, but the rest of the coin is so sharp I think it has to be weak strike.

Typical of pennies around then I surpose and into Georges reign

• Like 2

Very pleased to have obtained this problem free William IV 1837 penny in about EF. Scarcest date of the few William IV pennies, and very difficult to get in high grade.  

william 1837 obv cropped.jpg

william 1837 rev cropped.jpg

• Like 10

On 8/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, Paddy said:

Well this doesn't happen often. At the market yesterday a chap brought me a small box of coins including 8 1908 Pennies all around AU! I believe they are all F166, so not desperately scarce, but uncommon with this amount of lustre.

I cannot possibly use all of these - I will post in the For Sale section in case anybody needs one.

Funny that..... I remember Tony Crocker had a pile of similar 1905's a few years ago. Seems they were collected for Xmas or birthday gifts

at the time and not used and just stashed.  I had a pile of 1897's off ebay years ago the same - stored not as well, with some damp corrosion on the fields,

all GEF and up, in a pile of rotten paper wrapping.  One was a O•NE!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Funny that..... I remember Tony Crocker had a pile of similar 1905's a few years ago. Seems they were collected for Xmas or birthday gifts

at the time and not used and just stashed.  I had a pile of 1897's off ebay years ago the same - stored not as well, with some damp corrosion on the fields,

all GEF and up, in a pile of rotten paper wrapping.  One was a O•NE!!

Some years ago there was a similar hoard of UNC 1912H pennies  - I can't remember how much mine cost but probably less than £100? (Just looked it up - £37!!)

Edited by Peckris 2

I wasnt going to bother taking a picture of this............

Whats the odds of finding two F76 on eBay in the same week ?

187h-r17-med.jpg

• Like 3

Well spotted Pete, the lighhouse is thinner, especially the top section..........and the sea does not cross the linear circle!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Well spotted Pete, the lighhouse is thinner, especially the top section..........and the sea does not cross the linear circle!

and the drapery is correct.

Yes ,although not much detail left  ,Wide date and type ,thin neck and small head ,taller straighter helmet and plume closer to linear circle.

The sea doesnt cross the linear circle ,at least the parts that can be seen and the lighthouse keeper had turned the lights off 😯

Edited by PWA 1967

As much as i am laughing ,i would bet you could sell that on Facebook ,just need it attributed in the description with a good name 😀👍

Picked this up about three weeks ago but I was away so didn't actually have it in hand until a couple of days ago:

iodqmQ.jpg
URjGmt.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

Picked this up about three weeks ago but I was away so didn't actually have it in hand until a couple of days ago:

Very nicely struck specimen.

• Like 1

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for an open 3 in that condition :lol:

• Haha 2