British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

I use Firefox on my PC and notebook with a DuckDuckGo  plugin and also the Express VPN and have on issues posting to these forums.

Edited by ozjohn
Extra info

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

I use Firefox on my PC and notebook with a DuckDuckGo  plugin and also the Express VPN and have on issues posting to these forums.

Are you using auto-correct? My phone insists on changing no to on despite 50% of all texts requiring a yes or no answer. It's a pain in the a**e. Normal for Samsung?

12 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Anyway, just wanted to say that beaded borders are quite distinct once you've seen them.

Absolutely - they are spherical beads quite separate from the rim and linear circle. Sometimes, parts of a toothed border may appear to be beaded but they will not be separate from the rim.

542511052_1860A1aF761obvedited-zoom.jpg.407f8d52e7ddc869d722f3d8fafc3e5f.jpg

Beaded border

290661058_1860D2dobvzoom.jpg.3edf5839d4229549c4709b7d78b6163f.jpg

Toothed border with some teeth looking like beads, particularly between the I and A.

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Are you using auto-correct? My phone insists on changing no to on despite 50% of all texts requiring a yes or no answer. It's a pain in the a**e. Normal for Samsung?

It seems to be working again today, so no worries. :)

Very pleased with lot No 543 won at the DNW auction earlier this week. It's an 1856 small date PT penny in virtually BU, with extensive lustre. There is unfortunately a detracting mark on the reverse, without which I think it would have fetched a bit more.  But still a really nice coin.  

small date 1856 obv cropped.jpg

small date 1856 rev cropped a.jpg

• Like 8

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very pleased with lot No 543 won at the DNW auction earlier this week. It's an 1856 small date PT penny in virtually BU, with extensive lustre. There is unfortunately a detracting mark on the reverse, without which I think it would have fetched a bit more.  But still a really nice coin.  

small date 1856 obv cropped.jpg

small date 1856 rev cropped a.jpg

This coin was in the first Sovereign Rarities auction of 2018 (1,300 hammer + 5% import duty). Very bright on the whole..

https://www.sixbid.com/en/sovereign-rarities-ltd/5153/british/4309059/victoria-1837-1901-copper-penny-1856?term&orderCol=lot_number&orderDirection=asc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

Edited by oldcopper
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

Thanks for the link.

I went for it because although you see many part lustred Victorian copper pennies, it's not often you see a full lustred one of any date, let alone an 1856.

It's a shame about the mark, but I'm looking past that to the overall condition.

• Like 1

One i bought NOT attributed off a dealers website ,he is a good friend ,so did tell him what it was but happy to sell it me 👍

They are easier to spot with the other indicators ,die crack to the left of DEI and a wider I in Gratia.

Dont see many in a decent grade 1848 /6.

PSX_20210710_132854.jpg

• Like 8

From the recent DNW auction lot 544 couldn't resist it at £65 plus extras. A standard 1858, but IMO a nice coin.

1858 Penny.jpg

• Like 8

Just won - and paid for - this 1914 penny at BSJ. Slabbed NGC and graded MS65 RB:

J11IgZ.jpg

• Like 8

I mentioned picking up a decent Half Crown - 1927 proof version - in a bunch of Whitman folders this week. I also got a full range of other folders in the series - mostly full, much in low grade - but a few pleasant surprises like these (one per post):

1860 D 1+B 1-side.JPG

1860 Beaded border - I believe dies 1 and B so F6 but please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Paddy
Added description
  • Like 5

This one is 1863, I believe dies 6 and G so F42 - common but quite nice:

1863 D 6+G 1-side.JPG

• Like 4

Next 1864 with Crosslet 4:

1864 D Crosslet 1-side.JPG

• Like 3

... and finally a 1916 in rather good condition:

1916 D 1-side.JPG

• Like 3

I think the 1860 may be an F763 with the pattern obverse.

Well done.

Jerry

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I mentioned picking up a decent Half Crown - 1927 proof version - in a bunch of Whitman folders this week. I also got a full range of other folders in the series - mostly full, much in low grade - but a few pleasant surprises like these (one per post):

1860 D 1+B 1-side.JPG

1860 Beaded border - I believe dies 1 and B so F6 but please correct me if I am wrong.

https://rarestpennies.wordpress.com/1860-f763/

Jerry

• Like 4

Wow! Makes it quite a score then! I think I paid about £30 for the 4 penny, 3 halfpenny, 1 farthing and 1 brass threepence Whitman folders mostly complete!

That one better go in my collection then.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, jelida said:

Well done.

Jerry

Agree, great find. Is there something going on at lhs of numeral 6 on the 1863?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Well done.

Jerry

Well done Jerry and what i like about the forum ,pointing things out and helping others ........Hat off 👍

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Agree, great find. Is there something going on at lhs of numeral 6 on the 1863?

I don’t know, but the ‘8’ looks like the sort of 8/6 shape that when I buy it on EBay it is always just clogged with dirt. 🤐

Jerry

• Like 1

What a superb find. Well done Paddy !

First thing I noticed was that all the beads were intact, which is often not the case with an ordinary F6, so no surprise when Jerry pointed out it might well be a F763 pattern.  

• Like 2

Linear circle on the obverse is also much stronger on F6. Large areas missing on the early beaded patterns.

• Like 2

I just bought the 1913 F176 that Martinminerva ( don't know how to make that stand out in blue) was selling-

I'm really really pleased with it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I just bought the 1913 F176 that Martinminerva ( don't know how to make that stand out in blue) was selling-

I'm really really pleased with it.

Really happy it went to a forum member, and so glad you're pleased! I managed to get an upgrade for it at a good price too (see below), so karma has worked out brilliantly for all concerned! Still got some other things for sale!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3