British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

On 3/17/2021 at 10:11 PM, alfnail said:

Hi Mike, it's always painful to see part of your collection disappear, but I think my decision to place them on ebay was the right one. I chose pieces where I felt an auction house may not do them full justice in the event that my family sell them off one day when I'm not around. I'm thinking that the ones I may keep in my collection will be those where I can be sure that an auction house will get a decent price (i.e. easily recognised varieties) even if the person offering them for sale doesn't have much of a clue. 

It's also nice to see who bought your coins and, in many cases, I know they will remain in good hands and be cherished. I have already had several positive feedbacks and people asking me if I will be doing this again.

I will probably sell another nice group on ebay when the clocks go back, after they first go forward..........so you can see I'm not planning to depart this world just yet! 

I have decided to get one more group on ebay tonight if I get time today..............it will be Victorian Bronze pennies again.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing your latest coins. Reckon your haircut would have cost you a Bob or two back in the day Ian????

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Looking forward to seeing your latest coins. Reckon your haircut would have cost you a Bob or two back in the day Ian????

It's all gone now Cliff, haven't been to the barbers for many years........miss those chats about football and holidays!

• Like 1

Here is the webpage for my 'bun head' (inc. 1 'old head', before anyone corrects me!) penny sales, ending next Sunday between 9 and 10 pm if my calculations are correct, with clocks going forward Saturday night.

Items for sale by alfnail | eBay

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Here is the webpage for my 'bun head' (inc. 1 'old head', before anyone corrects me!) penny sales, ending next Sunday between 9 and 10 pm if my calculations are correct, with clocks going forward Saturday night.

Message sent on ebay....

Am unable to bid....

On 3/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, alfnail said:

Thanks Ian.

The Gouby R seems to be attracting a fair bit of interest.

Hi Mike, still a fair bit less than I paid for it 5 years ago........but it's early days!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, alfnail said:

Well i failed to win any of your lots, but only because the three that i bid on did make good prices, so i hope that all of your lots did well👍

• Like 2

Thanks for your bids Ian, sorry you missed out.

I thought the coins did pretty well again, justifying my decision to go the ebay route.

Will aim to get more listings together for the Autumn.

• Like 2

My latest penny. Not a rare date but but a nice example.

6.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ozjohn said:

My latest penny. Not a rare date but but a nice example.

6.jpg

The reverse is especially sharp.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The reverse is especially sharp.

Yes, pre-ME pennies all get a bad press but the shallow head introduced on half the 1921s really did improve reverse strikes.

18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, pre-ME pennies all get a bad press but the shallow head introduced on half the 1921s really did improve reverse strikes.

The best 1921 I saw was posted on the forum nearly 3 years ago - here 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The best 1921 I saw was posted on the forum nearly 3 years ago - here 

They both came from the same seller.

Final piece of the jigsaw in my pre 1860 Victorian copper penny collection - an 1860/59. Quite decent specimen. 

Only ones to look out for now in this series, are the very expensive proofs. 

Unfortunately, certain other coins coming up, which I would have been very seriously interested in, now have to be put on the back burner until a further opportunity arises. I just had to have this.   

sixty over fifty nine rev cropped.jpg

sixty over fifty nine obv cropped.jpg

• Like 9

A cheap ebay purchase to fill a gap (didn't actually have an F10) .T over T in Victoria .Michael Gouby mentions it in his book , but on a different Obverse (F15, obv 4  ).After reading this, I am confused about whether it is an F10 or 15 . LC WYON on Truncation seems to rule out F15 485181964_1860PennyF10ToverTinVictoriarev.thumb.jpg.16cc5f93a141e112782e4ec4d5d106fe.jpgthough .

1783159262_1860PennyF10ToverTinVictoriaobv.thumb.jpg.654382edc2adb06d4a77471359febbfe.jpg

1860 Penny F10 T over T in Victoria  .jpg

2 hours ago, mick1271 said:

1783159262_1860PennyF10ToverTinVictoriaobv.thumb.jpg.654382edc2adb06d4a77471359febbfe.jpg

1860 Penny F10 T over T in Victoria  .jpg

Looks like F10 to me; this kind of careless die repair could easily be found on F10 though I haven’t seen it before. 

Jerry

Got this one, I'm no expert with the ol pennies and their varieties but it was advertised as TB/BB,

Edited by rpeddie

20210424184053_IMG_6707_compress20.thumb.jpg.e01e2ec69dc104858fe80ae7a7888cc3.jpg20210424184530_IMG_6715_compress75.thumb.jpg.0f877b1ac50109929586e3f15b562842.jpg20210424184511_IMG_6714_compress71.thumb.jpg.481756cb79bb4d02b9798299417f5a69.jpg

thought so thanks for confirming, i appreciate you looking it over

52 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

Looks like a Freeman 15.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rpeddie said:

Firefox won't let me reply to anything or create new topics. Anyone else having problems? Using ancient version of Chrome to post this...

Anyway, just wanted to say that beaded borders are quite distinct once you've seen them.

• Like 1