British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

1218810201_1848-Copy.jpg.da3794bf10cd2d326b971db2ff8c95ec.jpg1848.jpg.23e37826aa828ded4e7a428e094a5e28.jpg

Try Adobe Photoshop Express - it's free. I use it for everything

I am downloading it now . Hope it is easy to use .

12 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Hope it is easy to use .

Message/Email me if you have any questions.

53 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Message/Email me if you have any questions.

Thanks Richard . I have been messing about with it , and it seems idiot proof (which should suit me) . First attempt looks ok , not as good as yours though .I have used my own pics and not the ebay ones though.

1848 over 7 penny 3.9.20 £26.jpg

my own pic

1848 over 7 penny obv 3.9.20 £26.jpg

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 3

Well, here's a pretty good acquisition I think! It is an example of the 1860 penny F15 dies 4+D, but with the I of BRITT struck over a T (or vice versa). Ok, it is a detector find and has its issues, but the base coin is solid enough and not too worn, and the error is clear.

Only one other was known, I believe, and is on Richard's rare penny website. Interestingly, I can confirm that actually it is the modified version of obverse 4 with central cut fishtail, which also would appear to be true of the one already on Richard's website, but not sure if this was observed at the time?

Pictures below (and in next post too...) and feel free, Richard, to add them to your penny site.

Not that I would ever contemplate selling it, but what sort of value might it have given on the plus side its rarity, but on the down-side its overall state??

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

• Like 7

Very interesting find, Martin. What  a shame it's been in the ground for so long.

• Like 1

Yes, isn't it, Mike? But just shows that there are rarities still out there, even if recently dug up.

I'm not going to try to clean it at all - too much risk of damaging the evidence! Anyway, don't care about the reverse! The verdigris looks dead and inactive, but I will be sure to keep an eye on it.

That’s a really neat find, despite the condition. It’s nice to know there are more than one out there!

Jerry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Not that I would ever contemplate selling it, but what sort of value might it have given on the plus side its rarity, but on the down-side its overall state??

I'm pretty sure any one of the major auctioneers in London would take it with a reserve at the £200 mark or so. What it would actually sell for is quite another matter; penny rarities are desirable but the market is fickle, and people will be turned off by the patina/reverse corrosion. 

• Like 1

Despite not wanting to clean it, it would probably improve considerably if soaked in olive oil for a few months. That should kill off all the bue green hue and leave a decent dark brown. It won't do anything for the pox on the reverse, but I think it would make the whole coin more attractive. Views anybody?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Yes, isn't it, Mike? But just shows that there are rarities still out there, even if recently dug up.

Great find - always nice to find a second example of a rarity to prove that it was a genuine strike and not a man-made variety. I'll add this to my website.

Edited by secret santa
Correction.
  • Like 1

Well done Martin, a true find👍🏽

• Like 1

I regard this 1849 penny acquisition as the pièce de résistance of my pre 1860 Victoria copper collection. Even though it's meant shelling out a lot of money, it was worth it to get something as nice as this. Unfortunately I'm still having issues shrinking the pics, so obverse and reverse will have to go on separate pages as the lowest I can get each down to, is 287kb, and the max is 500.

piece de resistance obv.jpg

• Like 9

piece de resistance rev.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I regard this 1849 penny acquisition as the pièce de résistance of my pre 1860 Victoria copper collection. Even though it's meant shelling out a lot of money, it was worth it to get something as nice as this. Unfortunately I'm still having issues shrinking the pics, so obverse and reverse will have to go on separate pages as the lowest I can get each down to, is 287kb, and the max is 500.

Magnificent!!!

• Thanks 1

few exist in that grade you are very lucky

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very very nice!

Your picture problem would be resolved in an instant if you crop out all that unnecessary background - it must be using well over half the image size. This took me a few seconds:

130178080_picturecrop.jpg.d3b4731a90b0b940c156fedaa322ee2f.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Very very nice!

Your picture problem would be resolved in an instant if you crop out all that unnecessary background - it must be using well over half the image size. This took me a few seconds:

130178080_picturecrop.jpg.d3b4731a90b0b940c156fedaa322ee2f.jpg

Yes, thanks Chris - from 287kb down to 55kb. I can crop using photoscape and really don't know why I didn't think of that. Done it before.  

• Like 1

The only thing is with coins of that value and rarety you will prob never be able to upgrade it !

Still - nice problem to have , LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

The only thing is with coins of that value and rarety you will prob never be able to upgrade it !

Still - nice problem to have , LOL

I wouldn't be able to afford to anyway. It's completely cleaned me out for several months to come.

But there you go, I saw it, and I just had to buy it. Otherwise the chance of owning such a quality piece could have gone forever.

• Like 1

Mike, can't tell properly but your 1849 Penny appears to have the top serif of the I in GRATIA missing (filled?), like my piece. Mine has also had work done around the 4 in the date, does yours?

1849  P1497 Bramah 11 Date   .jpg

1849 P1497 Bramah 11 Obv.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Mike, can't tell properly but your 1849 Penny appears to have the top serif of the I in GRATIA missing (filled?), like my piece. Mine has also had work done around the 4 in the date, does yours?

1849  P1497 Bramah 11 Date   .jpg

1849 P1497 Bramah 11 Obv.jpg

Hi Cliff - the top bar of the I in GRATIA is very thin, especially on the right hand side. So maybe the beginnings of infill.

Actually the 4 is intact, and doesn't look like any work has been done on it. However, there is a tiny bit of dirt underneath and just to the side of the 4, which slightly distorts the appearance.

There's also a slight rim nick underneath the date.