British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

22 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Indeed it is, but at least the reverse is decent.

The whole coin is decent - we all make allowances for H & KN pennies with worn hair detail. You should see my EF+ 1919H - no hair detail at all!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

1874h2.jpg

F73 Pete?

• Like 2

Pete

You seem to have suddenly become digitally proficient - what's your secret ?

35 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Pete

You seem to have suddenly become digitally proficient - what's your secret ?

Having a mate to show me 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must be honest and say that although I now have most of the pre 1860 types, with the exception of the obviously really rare dates, I don't think any of them have truly merited an entry as penny acquisition of the week. But I'm making an exception for this one. It's an 1853 plain trident (very much the scarcer of the two types for 1853), and is in excellent overall condition, with no visible wear to the right breast area, which is the one of the first to see wear on these pennies. It complements the intermediate colon 1853 I got a few weeks ago, which is also quite scarce. 

I bought it from KB Coins, and surprisingly Keith Bayford only wanted £125 for it, as he normally charges top dollar for his stock. So I immediately went for it. I think £125 is a very reasonable price for this coin.

planny 1853 PT rev.jpg

planny 1853 PT obv.jpg

• Like 10

On 4/14/2020 at 8:49 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi Jerry , I think Pete is referring to the Two different date widths of the BP1898B    with the straight crossing centre bars of the last 8 .   Your new example looks as though its the narrower type 10.75 tooth now classified as BP1898Ba , top example in the picture below.   The bottom example in the picture shown below is the wider one  at 11 teeth with the 8 over a tooth , Pete hasn't said but would probably be BP1898Bb.

169043819_1898date.JPG.0ebf755c2fc1bc26204454d234e9b023.JPG

1914518101_1898close-up.jpg.a0f22776417ccf80d2fb699687669672.jpg

While I was proof reading Michael's new update, the section on these 1898 pennies got me a little confused.

To me, Terry's top example and Jerry's example seem to have a slightly different font (with a larger upper loop and possibly lower loop) for the final 8 from Terry's lower example (the "normal" 1898B) so the question is whether they are different date widths of 1898B or whether they are different types altogether, i.e. 1898B and 1898C.

I am currently having this discussion with Michael.

Looking at the 8 the bisect 1898B has both of the ends of the bottom loop forming a point.Although they may appear slightly different they are both not the same as the normal 8.

The bottom picture does not form the same point and a different font ,also the 9 appears wider to the loop or die wear IMO.

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

1914518101_1898close-up.jpg.a0f22776417ccf80d2fb699687669672.jpg

While I was proof reading Michael's new update, the section on these 1898 pennies got me a little confused.

To me, Terry's top example and Jerry's example seem to have a slightly different font (with a larger upper loop and possibly lower loop) for the final 8 from Terry's lower example (the "normal" 1898B) so the question is whether they are different date widths of 1898B or whether they are different types altogether, i.e. 1898B and 1898C.

I am currently having this discussion with Michael.

There is always the issue of different camera lenses and angles in these photos, so I have scanned my 3 best 1898 8 bisects on one image and edited it below to make the digits directly comparable.  not great image quality, but might help. I think there might be subtle differences in font.

Jerry

1898 8 bisects.jpg

Iv just realised a way to tell the difference between the types , its by the centre holes , on the straight crossover type the holes are almost circular , where as on the normal type its misshapen. 

3 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Iv just realised a way to tell the difference between the types , its by the centre holes , on the straight crossover type the holes are almost circular , where as on the normal type its misshapen. 

That’s the way I use to distinguish them, you can tell in an instant, even on some fairly blurry Ebay photos.

Jerry

1914518101_1898close-up.jpg.a0f22776417ccf80d2fb699687669672.jpgI

I Think the question is Terry ,is this a bisect 8 as in the one everyone is aware of BP1898B 11 teeth ,last digit over tooth.

Or is it a different font ?

Yes Pete I hurriedly read Santa's post , and I can see a difference , the size of the holes .   The narrower one has both centre holes of a similar size , but with the wider date type the top hole is smaller than the bottom one.  I cant personally see anything else .

• Like 1

I was quite pleased with this one from last week, only £20.

It’s a common year, but a nice grade and also a variation on the documented date types on MG’s website.

The date is half a tooth wider than other ‘No W.W.’ date types documented by Gouby, with the 5 now slightly to the right of the larger border tooth, and the last 8 directly over a gap rather than a tooth.

The numeral ‘1’ is, however, the most interesting feature. The underneath, smaller 1, now showing clearly to both the left and right hand sides of the top 1…….which is also double struck.

Documented CP 1858 H date variations can be seen on this link:-

http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/cp_1858.htm

1858 Obverse.jpg

Date.jpg

Underneath 1 to both left and right.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alfnail said:

I was quite pleased with this one from last week, only £20.

It’s a common year, but a nice grade and also a variation on the documented date types on MG’s website.

Date.jpg

Great price. It's the same grade as the one I paid £25 for in the 90s - also with the date double struck.

• Like 1

Managed to get a decent example of the other type of 1889 Narrow Date.

Have labelled them both up as Gouby B for the moment, expecting they will most likely be Ba and Bb in Michael's revised pages. 

B Lines Namedsized.jpg

date_lines2Named.jpg

The recent purchase is a gilded piece.

Thought it was interesting the way the 'full-coin' pictures have come out. I found that when I zoom in close with super-macro setting, trying to optimize the detail, the coin didn't particularly look gilded. From a distance, however, without super-macro it looks much more like the gilded coin does 'in the hand'.

I'm no expert on photography, so not really sure why that happened, but show both sets below for info.

Combsized.jpg

• Like 3

Another date filled .Bought a couple of 1848 pennies from ebay  . one has obviously been cleaned and the other had a bit of surface verd .The verd came off easily and treated it with Verdi-care , so it looks like it has a couple of carbon spots now .Hoped that they would be an 1848 and an 1848/7 , so I could have filled two gaps ( 8/6 would have been nice , ) , but both are 1848/7 .

These are the ebay pics . I have tried for 20 mins to resize the ones I took ,and have given up .s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

1922 dot on Trident .

Very pleased to pick this one up.

2099545333_1922dotontridentcloseup(2).thumb.JPG.9713c1fb119ac4686e1455a2d6298c15.JPG1108105850_1922dotontridentexrarelow2.JPG.1b73f99ddcb3f7bc77e7a36c998950a7.JPG

Good find Terry!

21 hours ago, mick1271 said:

These are the ebay pics . I have tried for 20 mins to resize the ones I took ,and have given up

1218810201_1848-Copy.jpg.da3794bf10cd2d326b971db2ff8c95ec.jpg1848.jpg.23e37826aa828ded4e7a428e094a5e28.jpg

Try Adobe Photoshop Express - it's free. I use it for everything

• Like 1