British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

4 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:
6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

i've just noticed that yours is paired with a different Obverse as it has a Narrow Date , my example has a wide date

There may be a slight difference in width but they are both 1858 large date numerals.

43 minutes ago, secret santa said:

There may be a slight difference in width but they are both 1858 large date numerals.

Mine looks to be the same obverse as yours Richard. 

It does show that it was paired with at leased two different obverse dies, and possible more.  have you any idea how scarce or rare they are Richard ? . 

Wow, love that golden colour!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

have you any idea how scarce or rare they are Richard ?

No, John (Chingford) may have a better idea of scarceness.

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

No, John (Chingford) may have a better idea of scarceness.

Ok thanks Richard.

From my own observations they appear much more common than either 26a (missing serifs) or large roses. 

On 3/2/2020 at 8:52 AM, secret santa said:

Neat work, Ian - how do you produce those overlapped pictures ?

You can do the same in Photoshop if you're comfortable working with layers.

• put each letter on a separate layer
  • make the top layer to be 50% opacity
  • nudge the top layer until it's directly over the letter in the bottom layer
  • use the brush with a suitable colour to paint the bits you want to highlight
  • merge the 2 layers and save the image

23 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

From my own observations they appear much more common than either 26a (missing serifs) or large roses. 

Im rather surprised at that as there are eight Large Rose and only two  F over B and  two  Missing serifs on LCA

I think Jon is right Terry as i used to be looking for them all almost daily.

The F/B was not recorded and only quite recently discovered ,so plenty have been sold with the variety not attributed.

When the first one sold that was heavily cleaned people maybe were not convinced what it was and sold for £9 LOT 2653 1/9/2013.

In the same Auction on the same day 1/9/2013  LOT 2649 sold not attributed.

Lots of people ( dont want one) dont look for them or because they are not in a book dont know what to look for.

Plenty turn up on ebay though and more common than the other two.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=1858+Penny&searchtype=1

Pete.

• Like 1

I could conceivably do some stats on this, because I have images of all Victorian Copper Pennies listed on ebay for a 5 year period, and before the Large Rose and F/B were known about by hardly any collectors. Problem is that there's well over 3000 images to check through, breaking down first into ww and no ww and then lower levels. 

I was leaving 1858 to nearer the end of this project.

• Like 2

My gut feel is that Pete's correct though....

Having said that, I think that 15 or so years ago there were quite a lot of 1858 Bramah 26a's Missing Serifs around, but I'm sure one doesn''t see so many nowadays....probably because Bramah has been discussed on forums such as this since then and people became more away of the variety and collected them....now tucked away in collections.

I have a spare of the Bramah book if anyone is interested, quite a nice copy...….but they don't come cheap, quite collectable in themselves!

PM me if interested.

• Like 1

George V, 1932, NGC, MS65RB

D8cQGB.jpg

R3qkmN.jpg

• Like 7

What seemed to be a VF penny - about EF 1892 Penny snagged today. Pleased 'Honi' is still visible to the eye & just about make out lighthouse bricks - patchy, but they are slight (provided I wear my glasses). Chuffed to bits with it.

EFpennyB1.jpg

EFpenny1.JPG

• Like 2

Here are a few of my recent acquisitions, though over the last couple of months rather than week as I have only just got round to taking photographs. Some are rare, some cheap and others just quirky.

First a nice 1862 F39 that was a Buy it now of about £10 from a European Ebay site.

image174.jpg

image173.jpg

• Like 6

And a lovely 1862 'three extra plumes', also from Ebay at about £1250 with costs.

image184.jpg

image183.jpg

• Like 7

close-up.

1862 three plumes variety (2).jpg

• Like 2

A cheap 1875H penny, spent a week on Ebay and sold for £81. Not perfect, but good lustre and interesting, a die match with LCA 144 lot 1860 2.3.14 with a raised line in the exergue below the 1 of the date, a poor repair of linear circle. There are other die repairs too, worthy of note is re-engraving around the crossing of the trident and forearm to make the trident shaft stand out. This coin looks much nicer in hand than photos! 

image176.jpg

image175.jpg

• Like 2

The brass streak on the reverse seems to be impaired alloy mixing as it carries through to the obverse. Close-up of trident shaft - clearer under optical microscope than digital unfortunately.

1875H re-engraved die Trident over arm (2).jpg

An 1897 'Dot' penny from an end-stage die, £10 on Ebay. This die as you can see is worn and cracked, though a hint of lustre remains. Have you seen a later example?

image179.jpg

image178.jpg

• Like 1

1897 'Dot' penny,  close-up of developed flaw.

image177.jpg

A nice 1898 BP1898B penny with the second '8' font. Good subdued lustre, about £20 on Ebay, a risk on a suggestive but blurry photo.

image182.jpg

image181.jpg

• Like 1

close-up.

image180.jpg

• Like 1