British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

2 minutes ago, Loose change said:

That is fine, no biggie really and appreciate the honesty. I find it much easier with the younger coins than the oldies. Still very much a learning curve. I learn more from others honest opinions more than anything.

I edited my reply to point you to the book on grading (see banner ad above) - worth its weight in gold!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

To my knowledge there are 4 different die pairings found for 1845; the type with the die crack to the left of the neck is by far the most common of the 4. I have also heard it referenced as the 'broken 5' variety; the date also has the numeral 1 re-struck. Another feature of this variety is the clear repair to the first letter I in VICTORIA.  

1845 Broken 5 Date.jpg

VICTORIA I.jpg

The 45 degree angle of the 4 in the date looks a bit odd. Not in a straight line. 

49 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I edited my reply to point you to the book on grading (see banner ad above) - worth its weight in gold!

100% agreed. Great book for beginners, intermediate and advanced. Always a useful reference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loose change said:

I have this one, but not sure whether this is F or VF (taking into account of its age):

Are you able to take better photographs ? You'll need them to accurately determine variety and grade. Your 1922 attached below.1922.thumb.jpg.61f03f6e63fdb44d41cc645670ce76c3.jpg

Just now, secret santa said:

Are you able to take better photographs ? You'll need them to accurately determine variety and grade. Your 1922 attached below.1922.thumb.jpg.61f03f6e63fdb44d41cc645670ce76c3.jpg

I will try. My phone has a poor camera in it. I will have another stab at it.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

The 45 degree angle of the 4 in the date looks a bit odd. Not in a straight line. 

Just a bit of a bang, I think. My own similar date has a straight 4.

90934614_1845P1489zoomedited.jpg.c4c28c0ef66923f2a75567fa1f1feb4f.jpg

• Like 1

20200224-141258.jpg

20200224-141316.jpg

Done without using flash this time, and seem better in natural light I think. Not too sure what grade it is. Ordered the coin grading book, which should help massively.

2 hours ago, Loose change said:

20200224-141258.jpg

20200224-141316.jpg

Done without using flash this time, and seem better in natural light I think. Not too sure what grade it is. Ordered the coin grading book, which should help massively.

A little better than Fine I think.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Loose change said:

That is fine, 

No, it is not fine. Couldn't resist the pun. 😀

I agree with Peck that it is Fair. 

I think you are starting the hobby in the correct way. Getting some inexpensive coins in low grades is a good way to learn grading. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loose change said:

20200224-141258.jpg

20200224-141316.jpg

Sub fine. Between fair and fine IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Sub fine. Between fair and fine IMO.

I'd go with Fine for the obverse, but there is too much wear and damage on the reverse, so between Fair and F for that.

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Talking of grading, Derek Allen's book on grading British Coins (see banner ad above) is priceless for learning. Even most of us 'old hands' have it.

Top 'First Step' advice there, Peck!!!!

It's a must.    I dip into it surprisingly often.

• Like 2

You know me by now - I love bargain job lots! I picked up an album at an auction last week - mostly full of junk pre-decimal British coinage. (I bought mainly because the album was a good quality one, suitable for displaying better coins at market.)

As well as reasonable 1953 and 1950 pennies in there (unspotted) was this 1860 in fairly decent condition. If I am reading @secret santa's website correctly this is F10, Obverse 2 reverse D, but actually the reverse is D* (with the heavy rockline above the LCW) and also has the sea not reaching the border to the left of the lighthouse. All in all a pleasing upgrade to my F10 with bonuses.

1860 D 2+D 1 Red.JPG

1860 D 2+D 2 Red.JPG

Oh and it also shows the repaired A in Victoria...

Edited by Paddy
Added a bit
  • Like 8

Another 1915 Recessed ear which although not as good as my best one has only a tiny amount of the tooth missing.

A really nice obverse but weakness in Britannia's head on the reverse. It seems that getting a well struck obverse and reverse is elusive. This is my example not perfect but probably representative of the RM's output at the time.

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info

1858  F over B  in DEF

I bought this one just last week and it arrived yesterday.  Many thanks to a tip off from a friend.   :D

824163608_1858FoverBinDEFcloselow.JPG.b3966d757a402e3e512f1b24333d7d2c.JPG1895790610_1858FoverBinDEFlow.JPG.fc4728e8460accaa904ea053ff08446c.JPG761877486_1858FoverBobv_low.JPG.bd719f35dea12843803d4af18099caac.JPG

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

1858  F over B  in DEF

I bought this one just last week and it arrived yesterday.  Many thanks to a tip off from a friend.   :D

F over B ?

It's a good fit, particularly when one considers the location of the B of BRITANNIAR and the inverted die.

An easier mistake to make than for example the R over A in VICTORIA in the Bronze series, which we saw at LCA at the weekend...……..anyone know who bought that by the way....never seen that one before?

1858 F over B in DEF.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Neat work, Ian - how do you produce those overlapped pictures ?

Thanks Richard. I use a very old version of Arcsoft Photosudio; there are probably better tools out there nowadays. I zoom in to a point where I am confident I can accurately draw around the bit I wish to highlight, then fill that bit with whatever colour I want to use. It's then just a case of making sure that the letters, in this case the B and F/B from the same coin, were taken at same magnification. Then use the 'fill colour' option to alter the transparency and drop aligned picture on top of the other, rotating the odd degree if necessary to make match as per actual coin. Hope that makes sense and helps. 

Here's mine. I was fortunate enough to find this within about half an hour of learning of the variety (Penny Crown Coins, thanks Derek. ;) )

1858 F over B (s) (1).jpg

1858 F over B (s) (2).jpg

1858 F over B (3).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Here's mine. I was fortunate enough to find this within about half an hour of learning of the variety (Penny Crown Coins, thanks Derek. ;) )

1858 F over B (s) (1).jpg

1858 F over B (s) (2).jpg

1858 F over B (3).jpg

i've just noticed that yours is paired with a different Obverse as it has a Narrow Date , my example has a wide date.

1762781028_1858FoverBobv_low.JPG.4dac49b4004b1afe487fa0ffb2d9635d.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

i've just noticed that yours is paired with a different Obverse as it has a Narrow Date , my example has a wide date.

Well spotted, I hadn't noticed. :)

• Like 1