British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

1 minute ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Nice one Richard , if you keep this up you'll have to sell the entire collection to buy the next coin up the price ladder. 

Fortunately, there can't be many more left out there ( I hope !)

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Domestic relations are an all-time low despite a gushing Valentine's card yesterday. The new bathroom budget has been blown again on Hiram Brown's F76. I'm in raptures about it but the other half is unimpressed.

1379201354_1874HF761obv_editedlowres.jpg.ff0299281e42771822f8f460c8f51905.jpg1712885132_1874HF761rev_editedlowres.jpg.ed8f962c40d77d5c33c64bfe2f42a19e.jpg

That is a great looking coin, Richard.      But graded at nearly ef? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

That is a great looking coin, Richard.      But graded at nearly ef? 

DNW are pretty accurate at grading nowadays (by the book) and tend to understate grade as Spink used to be known for, presumably to avoid arguments post-sale from buyers going strictly by the accepted definitions. And, to be fair to DNW, there is the slightest wear on the highest points of Britannia's gown to the right of the shield - but many dealers and sellers would offer this at AU or better. I went up to view the coins pre-sale so I knew this was a good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Domestic relations are an all-time low despite a gushing Valentine's card yesterday. The new bathroom budget has been blown again on Hiram Brown's F76. I'm in raptures about it but the other half is unimpressed.

1379201354_1874HF761obv_editedlowres.jpg.ff0299281e42771822f8f460c8f51905.jpg1712885132_1874HF761rev_editedlowres.jpg.ed8f962c40d77d5c33c64bfe2f42a19e.jpg

Well done Richard. By a very long stretch the best F76 out there.

Your photo is better than DNW's. The lighthouse looks a bit peculiar on theirs.

The toning is superb, especially to the obverse. 

PS: you can get a new bathroom anytime, but an opportunity like this will NEVER arise again. Fact. 

Edited by 1949threepence

42 minutes ago, secret santa said:

DNW are pretty accurate at grading nowadays (by the book) and tend to understate grade as Spink used to be known for, presumably to avoid arguments post-sale from buyers going strictly by the accepted definitions. And, to be fair to DNW, there is the slightest wear on the highest points of Britannia's gown to the right of the shield - but many dealers and sellers would offer this at AU or better. I went up to view the coins pre-sale so I knew this was a good one.

Thanks Richard, i am glad that you think the same. Indeed, i was thinking au/gef. 

Richard's must be penny acquisition of the year, but I'll just class my DNW wins as ordinary acquisitions of the week.

The first is the F46, 1863 die No 3 under date. I've wanted a die No under date for a very long time. Didn't quite have enough dough for the die No 4 in the Waterbird collection. So when I saw this one, I just knew I had to have it. Well worth the cost:- (sorry, made a bit of a cock up uploading the images to start with) 

Freeman 46 obv small image.jpg

Freeman 46 rev small image.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 6

Die 3's don't come up very often so, well done. As you say, you have to grab these opportunities when you can (at least that's what I tell myself, and the wife).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Die 3's don't come up very often so, well done. As you say, you have to grab these opportunities when you can (at least that's what I tell myself, and the wife).

Thanks Richard. I've been saving hard for this auction ever since it was first advertised, and still had to open a savings account. Been doing things round the house "on the cheap" recently, to economise, for that very reason.   

My F25. I definitely wanted this one, as F25's aren't that common anyway. Not many are sold, and only very rarely in grades above VF:-

Freeman 25 rev small image.jpg

Freeman 25 obv small image.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Definitely an underappreciated variety, along with F20.

Absolutely.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Definitely an underappreciated variety, along with F20.

Good one on the F76, grab these best known examples of rarities if money allows, otherwise you may regret it ever after.

I still occasionally rue the day my computer cocked up as I was about to bid for I think the finest F7 with virtually full orange glow (not streaky as often seen) at the Spink Dec 2015 sale. At the time I thought I'd never see another one like that and of course I haven't since. It went for £1100 hammer which was written up in Coin News as a high price, but I think it was a snip for whoever got it.

• Like 1

I've just read this thread, and am now going to have quiet lie down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

I've just read this thread, and am now going to have quiet lie down.

Thought you might be going for that 1865 coroneted head penny, Blake. Did you?

15 hours ago, secret santa said:

This one ? (I have the picture - not the coin !)

1794892067_1860F72obv.jpg.6c84144fadda845813a609c0fc674ac4.jpg

Yes, that's the one. Sorry I've been off the computer until now. 

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thought you might be going for that 1865 coroneted head penny, Blake. Did you?

Oh the mind reading on this forum is getting too good.

No cash right now-to many big projects halfway through.....!

Rather pleased with this 1845 Penny bought as an upgrade at an auction last week:

1845 D 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 6

It's got the same die cracks at the left of Victoria's neck as my own coin - must be a feature of this date.

My first george v and vic pennies. Not the best, but they will do for starters:

20200223-204741.jpg 20200223-204725.jpg 20200223-204459.jpg

Edited by Loose change
image test
  • Like 4

You're probably not aware of the wonderful Pandora's box of penny varieties that you've just opened and you'll have a fantastic time exploring and discovering these.

Enjoy the journey.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, secret santa said:

You're probably not aware of the wonderful Pandora's box of penny varieties that you've just opened and you'll have a fantastic time exploring and discovering these.

Enjoy the journey.

I have this one, but not sure whether this is F or VF (taking into account of its age):

20200224-092820.jpg

20200224-092842.jpg

Lighting is not the best, too much flash glare.

Edited by Loose change

14 hours ago, secret santa said:

It's got the same die cracks at the left of Victoria's neck as my own coin - must be a feature of this date.

To my knowledge there are 4 different die pairings found for 1845; the type with the die crack to the left of the neck is by far the most common of the 4. I have also heard it referenced as the 'broken 5' variety; the date also has the numeral 1 re-struck. Another feature of this variety is the clear repair to the first letter I in VICTORIA.  

1845 Broken 5 Date.jpg

VICTORIA I.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loose change said:

I have this one, but not sure whether this is F or VF (taking into account of its age):

20200224-092820.jpg

20200224-092842.jpg

Lighting is not the best, too much flash glare.

Sadly, it's not even Fine - I'd say Fair, as you can see the main outline and all of the legend.

Here's a VF one I found on the internet:

1797-Britannia-Penny.thumb.jpg.baab05ba8ad257a853db950b58029a3e.jpg

Don't make the classic mistake of saying "for its age" - wear  is assessd the same whether a coin is from Charles II or Elizabeth II. It's only when you go further back to hammered coins that different criteria come into play.

But keep going - the best way is to learn from mistakes, just don't make expensive ones! And enjoy the coins you've got, no matter what the grade they are. Talking of grading, Derek Allen's book on grading British Coins (see banner ad above) is priceless for learning. Even most of us 'old hands' have it.

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Sadly, it's not even Fine - the obverse is Fair, the reverse slightly better.

Here's a VF one I found on the internet:

1797-Britannia-Penny.thumb.jpg.baab05ba8ad257a853db950b58029a3e.jpg

Don't make the classic mistake of saying "for its age" - wear  is assessd the same whether a coin is from Charles II or Elizabeth II. It's only when you go further back to hammered coins that different criteria come into play.

That is fine, no biggie really and appreciate the honesty. I find it much easier with the younger coins than the oldies. Still very much a learning curve. I learn more from others honest opinions more than anything.