British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Note Britannia's fully struck up breastplate and little sign of ghosting, showing this was a successful experiment that was strangely not continued.

Yes, I was comparing to my uncirculated 1913 penny; strike on Britannia is generally much better except for the head which is much stronger on the 1913 piece ? 

Not sure how much wartime affected production standards on these though, no expert on the series. 

Well you say that, but with regard specifically to 1913, the Britannia strike seems to be variable. My 174 is fully struck up, whereas my 177 has a poor breastplate. Both have good hair detail.

funny wsu.jpg

funny nwsu.jpg

18 hours ago, JLS said:

Yes, I was comparing to my uncirculated 1913 penny; strike on Britannia is generally much better except for the head which is much stronger on the 1913 piece ? 

Not sure how much wartime affected production standards on these though, no expert on the series. 

I personally think that's the answer. Maybe the experiment was conceived and initial dies prepared in 1914, but by 1916 there was just too much demand on the Mint's resources.

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well you say that, but with regard specifically to 1913, the Britannia strike seems to be variable. My 174 is fully struck up, whereas my 177 has a poor breastplate. Both have good hair detail.

funny wsu.jpg

That's the first reverse (pre-1914) which often  has fewer problems compared to the 1914-1921 reverse; the rim and teeth especially are different.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I personally think that's the answer. Maybe the experiment was conceived and initial dies prepared in 1914, but by 1916 there was just too much demand on the Mint's resources.

That's the first reverse (pre-1914) which often  has fewer problems compared to the 1914-1921 reverse; the rim and teeth especially are different.

Yes that's true. Fewer ghosting issues to boot. I wonder why they didn't just revert back to reverse A, rather than start the experiment with the recessed ear.  

I mean, surely they kept the die. 

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes that's true. Fewer ghosting issues to boot. I wonder why they didn't just revert back to reverse A, rather than start the experiment with the recessed ear.  

I mean, surely they kept the die. 

It was a combination of obverse and reverse. I think the biggest problem at the beginning was the lack of rim on reverse, which caused rapid wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

It was a combination of obverse and reverse. I think the biggest problem at the beginning was the lack of rim on reverse, which caused rapid wear.

I did wonder about those thin rims. But was there ever any evidence of excess wear on reverse A as compared to reverse B? 

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I did wonder about those thin rims. But was there ever any evidence of excess wear on reverse A as compared to reverse B? 

I think the answer to that is with halfpennies, where they didn't introduce a modified reverse - I remember collecting in the late 60s, and halfpennies between 1911 and 1924 had reverses that were really badly worn, Poor where the obverse was Fair to Fine.

• Like 2

VickySilver reports that he just received the following penny out of the Waterbird Collection...

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful - lucky him. 

The little detail on brittanias head just lets the coin down slightly - but to be honest I would say it would be very hard to improve on🌞

The 1916 recessed ear  penny about unc

Edited by copper123

Funny that in hand the coin has a very glossy appearance, and hard to tell from the photos but the fields do not appear to have been "smoothed". I believe that although certainly having suffered some wear that the original strike was very soft. I was a bit disappointed, but not terribly so, by the rim issues, etc. Very glad to have it. I will try to compare it to the 1922 specimen photos and see what I can make out - if anything (LOL).

I have pictures of this 1922 penny from a previous point in time, pictures attached

1922 penny dave.jpg

1922 penny obv dave.jpg

Bernie, excellent!  I know I have seen this one before and believe it was at Spink or Baldwin. Do you know its origin? Not a great quality coin, but at the price I guess I couldn't miss too badly...

Eric

It was previously sold by Spink in September 2015 as part of the Andy Scott collection (for £2108)

See my rarest pennies site below.

Richard

On 10/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, Peckris 2 said:

But just very occasionally a fully struck up 1915, with good hair detail, that isn't a recessed ear, will show up:-

fullie 1915 rev.jpg

fullie 1915 obv.jpg

• Like 9

18 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

But just very occasionally a fully struck up 1915, with good hair detail, that isn't a recessed ear, will show up:-

fullie 1915 rev.jpg

fullie 1915 obv.jpg

Yes, it's hard to predict, but given that the 'not fully struck up' specimens were not the original intent, there are bound to be a minority that - for some reason or other - ARE as intended. Obviously those are worth a premium.

My 1913 and 1915 pennies. Not sure what type as I do not collect down to that level. However the 1913 is a better strike than the 1915.

Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard.jpg

• Like 3

Your 1913 looks like a F176 the scarce one.

OBV 2.......... I of IMP to tooth ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

Lovely coins there @Oz

My sight is not what it used to be, blame it on age, but the lower colon dot looks closer to A than to B, which to me would rule out F176. On the Rev there are fewer than 13 teeth between the 1 and 3 so that would rule out F175.

Yes its definately REV A so either F174 or F176.

The Gap / colon does look wider ,however the I of IMP does look to tooth ,would need a clearer picture to be certain i think 🙂

OZ John if the I of IMP points to a tooth its F176 if its to a gap its F174 ,there are other indicators but thats the one i use first.

Having another look at the indicators i do think its a F174 :D

Edited by PWA 1967

A clearer bigger pic would mean certainty.

Thanks for the interest and comments. It's obvious there are a lot of enthusiastic penny collectors out there. I'll try to provide a higher resolution scan of the 1913 obverse within the 500k file size limit

Are these pictures any better.

Clipboard.jpg.510c6989e966427fa031e71f56d7f781.jpg.84804df47c1d80a3a30fe5ab02a9bd2d.jpgClipboard.jpg.c636c5de180a1c42c56c43b05bdc2b6d.jpg.565cade705845681787c49aa899c41e0.jpg