British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

7 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

I'm having real trouble coping with that penny.

My coin envy meter needle is pegging the top of the scale. :)

For me it's now the probably quite common problem of whether to completely defer any new coin purchases/purchases generally, for the time being, and save up a goodly sum in order to be able to afford something like Richard's superb purchase (my own ambition is a decent 1863 die No under date, or 1877 narrow date, either of which you're looking at several thousand pounds for, similar to the 112). 

Always assuming they then come up for sale, of course, and how long you wait. So many variables to consider in this scenario.

Yes, I hadn't bought much this year and when I saw that penny, I made up my mind to go for it as it's just about the last variety that I really wanted a nice specimen of. I shall forever dream of owning an Edward VIII penny but that's a good few steps too far !

• Like 1

It’s a beautiful coin. Such a coin is far beyond me, and will remain so unless a legacy comes my way. My currency penny  Freeman number requirements mostly look near impossible, those Mike shares plus the 1860 mules and a couple of the 1861 F reverses, and F76. The F76 and mules will be mine eventually.

Jerry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelida said:

The F76 and mules will be mine eventually.

Stares into camera:     "Mine, I tell you, mine!!!!!!"

FADEOUT.

So ends the tale of the half-crazed completionist that lurks inside _all_ members of this website......:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, secret santa said:

I have to own up to buying the F112 at LCA a few days ago. The new bathroom has been put on ice and the atmosphere at home is a touch frosty.

Your sympathy would be appreciated.

1137462525_1882F112obv.thumb.jpg.74674baf510b0f037b7c21e831e9350c.jpg1384686089_1882F112rev.thumb.jpg.cd8e8bccce14421e24dc93cb40814f14.jpg

Why did you tell the boss in the first place? Lol...........

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, azda said:

Why did you tell the boss in the first place? Lol...........

Difficult to disappear for several hours clutching magnifying glass and chequebook without arousing suspicion.............

In fact, difficult to do anything without arousing suspicion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get her enthused about pennies. Mine likes Saxon pennies - which is a bonus, extending to Brownie points when it is particularly aesthetically pleasing. Things of a more numismatic interest often result in a furrowed brow.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Get her enthused about pennies.

Who said "nothing's impossible" ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

So ends the tale of the half-crazed completionist that lurks inside _all_ members of this website......:)

That's true ... even of type collectors like moi!

• Like 1

I have always mentioned to my wife about profits that I have made on selling duplicates. Our mortgage on our house has been paid off due to my interest in coins. I do not tend to tell her when I am buying coins, but do tell her of any profits that I make on selling them. She has her hundred pairs of shoes and anything else that she wants, so if she did complain about my spending, I probably wouldn't hear her !

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

I have always mentioned to my wife about profits that I have made on selling duplicates. Our mortgage on our house has been paid off due to my interest in coins. I do not tend to tell her when I am buying coins, but do tell her of any profits that I make on selling them. She has her hundred pairs of shoes and anything else that she wants, so if she did complain about my spending, I probably wouldn't hear her !

"I'm not a sexist, but..." :lol:

• Confused 1

OK - nothing to compare with some of the pennies acquired by other members, but I was pleased to add this to my collection today: 1859 Penny with the small date and the first type of "9". Came in a job lot at a local auction, so doesn't owe me much:

1859 D OT sm date 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 6

Meant to post this a few days ago. It's my F160 now freed from its MS64 slab, photographed and suitably cropped. It's much the scarcer of the two 1905 types and I've been trying to get a decent one for some time.  

slabbed cropped f160 rev.jpg

slabbed cropped 160 obv.jpg

• Like 9

I haven't picked up any new pennies for quite a while, but this 1926 ME was a slight upgrade and cheap, so I bought it:

1926 D ME 2 Red.JPG

1926 D ME 1 Red.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shane carew said:

Upgraded my EF 1878 penny to a more decent specimen

34266019_88846748.jpg

Beauty - that's a hard date, especially in high grade.

Pete put me on to this - he should have bought it himself as it was too cheap really; i am extremely grateful.

This to go with Mike's F176 posted earlier which also came from John. Not as serious as you lot when it comes to pennies, but this is a reign I really like.

f175-d.jpg.e2c24d514ba3e2e16249a32709a32b72.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Nice artwork Damian, did you produce this yourself ?

Not sure it's the best photo, but I only use a phone and didn't want to mess about too much with the light or settings. I cut out and catalogue all my coins again solid backgrounds with a few notes like this yes, just so I have a digital point of reference that I can access anywhere on my phone. 

Richard I use Adobe Photoshop which has quite a lot to it. GIMP is a free alternative if you search that. The key tools within the software are the circular marquee (for cutting out circular milled coins) or the pen tool (jagged romans or hammered). YouTube videos run through the basics of layers and using those tools to 'cut out' something. I'll give you a bit more info after you've had a look and if you have any questions.

There are a few other things like drop shadows and messing about with different fonts that I might do for some coins or if I'm going to move them on, will attach a couple of examples below.

It's all a bit vain ! But useful to have in some form as a 'consistent' point of reference. 

peck1142.jpg.aff19a797ac90662939f86fcd1c35552.jpg

e1-berwick-blunt-4a--3.jpg.788659e261f65f5f78e89fbe9e4bb5be.jpg

• Like 3

I like the look of copper/bronze coins against a very dark background and want to what my own coins look like so I'll give it a try. I'll get back to you for more assistance, I'm sure.

Thanks

Richard

Not normally one for penny varieties, but this was so nice I couldn't resist...

00000penny1.thumb.JPG.390fceaca071bd48c2c2cc12f9c5d256.JPG00000penny.thumb.JPG.f7edacdc65646565fed5de5c3bc08f33.JPG

• Like 3

Note Britannia's fully struck up breastplate and little sign of ghosting, showing this was a successful experiment that was strangely not continued.