British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

F176 Mike. I’ve stopped even looking at reverse pointings as the thin v thick edge is much easier. Thin reverse edge and equal gap between GRA.BRITT = F176. Thick edge and GRA. BRITT = F175. 

A pleasing £1.84 from the US of A for that one. 🙂

A new (for me anyway) and convincing way of recognition.

Well done Jon, that's a real bargain. 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

A new (for me anyway) and convincing way of recognition.

Well done Jon, that's a real bargain. 

At least it’s not a F174 like my last F176 was! 😂

• Haha 2

On 24 August 2019 at 12:45 AM, mrbadexample said:

F176 Mike. I’ve stopped even looking at reverse pointings as the thin v thick edge is much easier. Thin reverse edge and equal gap between GRA.BRITT = F176. Thick edge and GRA. BRITT = F175. 

A pleasing £1.84 from the US of A for that one. 🙂

Me too. After a couple of years going through bank bags of pennies in the late 60s, I saw so many that I learned their characteristics almost by osmosis.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Me too. After a couple of years going through bank bags of pennies in the late 60s, I saw so many that I learned their characteristics almost by osmosis.

I'll be honest, it was Pete that drummed that one in to me. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

It hurts your eyes anyway, to keep staring at gaps/teeth, and depending on the angle you are looking at the coin picture from, you can very easily be wrong, unless the coin is in hand. 

So to find a very obvious and easy way of recognition, such as a thin rim, combined with the much clearer GRA:BRITT differential, is brilliant. 

• Like 1

The Freeman 8 mule I won at the LCA arrived today. Very pleased. OK, nowhere near the best available, but problem free and another really rare coin that doesn't come up for sale very often.

F8 mule rev brown.jpg

F8 mule obv brown.jpg

• Like 8

a pretty penny that

• Like 1

And it appears to be a different obverse die to all others that I have seen, unless it is just an earlier die state. No die crack above head and the tail of  "R" of "REG" level with the base of "E".

Picture Attached of known die design.

Fr8 closeup head obv.jpg

Fr8 closeup REG obv.jpg

Edited by Bernie

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

And it appears to be a different obverse die to all others that I have seen, unless it is just an earlier die state. No die crack above head and the tail of  "R" of "REG" level with the base of "E".

Picture Attached of known die design.

Fr8 closeup head obv.jpg

Fr8 closeup REG obv.jpg

Bernie, if you look on Richard's rarest pennies site for the F8, not all of them have the die crack, although the majority do, with one indecipherable.

As far as the R & E of REG, the majority seem to have the tail of the R level with the base of the E - or am I missing something?  

ETA: By the way, I should add that the London Coins picture of mine, which is the last one in Richard's F8 collection, is completely the wrong colour. The colour shown above is the correct one (to the naked eye), not the biscuit colour they've somehow managed to get in their photo. 

Edited by 1949threepence

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

a pretty penny that

Cost it ! :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Cost it ! :ph34r:

Funny enough its grade has me scratching my head its not fine or near fine but all the details are really clear , fair is a grade too low , darn it it is a difficult one.

I think it might be near fine , go on I grade it as that , lots of eye apeal though

16 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Funny enough its grade has me scratching my head its not fine or near fine but all the details are really clear , fair is a grade too low , darn it it is a difficult one.

I think it might be near fine , go on I grade it as that , lots of eye apeal though

Near fine for me too, although LCA described it as VG (very good). A definition of VG is given in many of the old Coin Monthly mags as:-

"The main features of the design are still distinguishable, with the date and legend readable. Mainly rare and valuable coins are collected in this condition when no finer coins are available".

In The Standard guide to Grading British Coins, by Derek Allen (2009), "Very Good" is described as traditional US. Its UK equivalent is "Almost Fine", so we're on the mark with near fine, I reckon.    

• Thanks 1

On 7 September 2019 at 6:59 PM, 1949threepence said:

Near fine for me too, although LCA described it as VG (very good). A definition of VG is given in many of the old Coin Monthly mags as:-

"The main features of the design are still distinguishable, with the date and legend readable. Mainly rare and valuable coins are collected in this condition when no finer coins are available".

In The Standard guide to Grading British Coins, by Derek Allen (2009), "Very Good" is described as traditional US. Its UK equivalent is "Almost Fine", so we're on the mark with near fine, I reckon.    

I'd go with VG too. BTW that was a grade commonly used in Britain the late 60s as you've seen from Coin Monthly. No-one then referred to it as a "US grade", though nowadays they do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'd go with VG too. BTW that was a grade commonly used in Britain the late 60s as you've seen from Coin Monthly. No-one then referred to it as a "US grade", though nowadays they do.

Yes, considering it was used in an exclusively British magazine back then (1969) it is a bit surprising that it's transformed into an apparently American term over the years.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yes, considering it was used in an exclusively British magazine back then (1969) it is a bit surprising that it's transformed into an apparently American term over the years.

Bramah mentions Very Good and Good as grading terms (below Fine as nowadays), and that was in the 20's. So it's been around for some time in the UK and thus maybe originated here. Don't know either way.

It might be like putting a z in words like realize - now American English but in fact old English.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

Bramah mentions Very Good and Good as grading terms (below Fine as nowadays), and that was in the 20's. So it's been around for some time in the UK and thus maybe originated here. Don't know either way.

It might be like putting a z in words like realize - now American English but in fact old English.

Same with 'aluminum' - it was the original British English name.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Same with 'aluminum' - it was the original British English name.

Quite right. Tire is  from attire,  honor is older English. Note Honor Oak a suburb of London. Plus many other words. The fall,  for example is older English autumn is a more recent addition from  French. A good reference is Fowler's Modern English Oxford University Press which incidentally I saw for sale at the New York City Library. 

Edited by ozjohn

I have to own up to buying the F112 at LCA a few days ago. The new bathroom has been put on ice and the atmosphere at home is a touch frosty.

Your sympathy would be appreciated.

1137462525_1882F112obv.thumb.jpg.74674baf510b0f037b7c21e831e9350c.jpg1384686089_1882F112rev.thumb.jpg.cd8e8bccce14421e24dc93cb40814f14.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

have to own up to buying the F112 at LCA a few days ago. The new bathroom has been put on ice and the atmosphere at home is a touch frosty.

At times like this I go to the Fridge for warmth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

I have to own up to buying the F112 at LCA a few days ago. The new bathroom has been put on ice and the atmosphere at home is a touch frosty.

1137462525_1882F112obv.thumb.jpg.74674baf510b0f037b7c21e831e9350c.jpg1384686089_1882F112rev.thumb.jpg.cd8e8bccce14421e24dc93cb40814f14.jpg

That is a super example though. When was the last time a better F112 has been sold, i wonder.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

Sheer class Richard. Beats a new bathroom any day.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

I can't imagine that anyone would prefer a new bathroom to that penny.  Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coppers said:

I can't imagine that anyone would prefer a new bathroom to that penny.  Well done!

Wow. Just wow.

• Thanks 1

I'm having real trouble coping with that penny.

My coin envy meter needle is pegging the top of the scale. :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, secret santa said:

Magnificent acquisition Richsrd...

Congratulations. ...

• Thanks 1