British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

image126.jpg

image125.jpg

• Like 2

image128.jpg

image127.jpg

• Like 3

image130.jpg

image129.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The best 1921 I've seen was posted by @zookeeperz in May 2018. Although it is Obverse 3 (F191). Fully struck up both sides, with outstanding hair detail, it's probably one of the best, if not the best, you'll ever see.

link to it 

There's so much hair detail on that I thought it was Obverse 2 until I looked closer!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jelida said:

image130.jpg

image129.jpg

That's amazing for a tenner. The seller obviously didn't know...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jelida said:

image128.jpg

image127.jpg

Some great buys there, Jerry, especially the 169 which is obviously an absolute sod to get. £500 was a bargain price.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Those are such a great lot of bargains.

Once again, I looked on ebay to see how I possibly missed them, and can't see them anywhere.

Were they bought a long time ago?

44 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Those are such a great lot of bargains.

Once again, I looked on ebay to see how I possibly missed them, and can't see them anywhere.

Were they bought a long time ago?

Over the last four months,  the only one that still shows is the 1904 ( listed by forum member Coinery ). I tend to photograph new acquisitions in batches,  hence intervals between posting on these pages.

Jerry

Ahh.. short so. I often do the same.

I look constantly for 'newly listed' listings of those exact pennies, and it's amazing what slips through....!!

I've managed to get a 164A - nice specimen.

Although the 164A's are showing up in increasing numbers now, it's quite noticeable that they are nearly all sub fine. This one is about GF/NVF and issue free. Similar grade to Jon's earlier this year, but obviously not a patch on the one Terry posted about the end of 2017. That was superb.

penny decent 164A rev.jpg

penny decent 164A obv.jpg

• Like 5

Nice one Mike - I need one like this.

By the way, if you would crop your photos, you'd save me hours😀

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Nice one Mike - I need one like this.

By the way, if you would crop your photos, you'd save me hours😀

Thanks Richard.

To be honest, I've never really bothered with cropping, so consequently never mastered the art. I'll have to look into it, see how it works. 

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

but obviously not a patch on the one Terry posted about the end of 2017. That was superb.

I let you into a little secret about that find.  it was on E.bay and cost me £8  :o  but here's the thing, it was a really bad picture and was listed as a 1903 not a 1908.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I let you into a little secret about that find.  it was on E.bay and cost me £8  :o  but here's the thing, it was a really bad picture and was listed as a 1903 not a 1908.

The sort of e bay finds you dream about Terry, and which only turn up very, very occasionally.

Wow...not only the wrong date, but the rare one....wow...

Six years ago I bought a tin of Vicky halfpennies- £1.50.

One of the 1862's in Good had the little 'B'...I had to hand it to my wife to confirm I wasn't seeing things....

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, 1949threepence said:

I've managed to get a 164A - nice specimen.

Although the 164A's are showing up in increasing numbers now, it's quite noticeable that they are nearly all sub fine. This one is about GF/NVF and issue free. Similar grade to Jon's earlier this year, but obviously not a patch on the one Terry posted about the end of 2017. That was superb.

penny decent 164A rev.jpg

penny decent 164A obv.jpg

Only just seen this Mike - that’s lovely. ebay? Better than mine I think as mine’s got a few scratches that let it down a bit - it was full of muck when I got it. Hat off, as someone here says. 😉

28 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Only just seen this Mike - that’s lovely. ebay? Better than mine I think as mine’s got a few scratches that let it down a bit - it was full of muck when I got it. Hat off, as someone here says. 😉

Thanks Jon, not e bay, no...............oh well, as you've asked, I might as well tell the back story on this one, which is a bit circuitous. You might remember that during December 2018, a forum member posted his collection of 20th century coins. The thread is here. As suggested by Gary, the collection was indeed, at some subsequent point, left with Colin Cooke to dispose of - a fact confirmed to me by another forum member a few months back - and for a long time just seemed to be sitting there. There were several pennies I was directly interested in, including the aforesaid 164A, so I contacted Lee Brownson and asked if there was likely to be an auction of them anytime soon. Lee replied to say that there was not enough value in the collection for an auction, but if I let him know which coins I was interested in, together with a suggested price, he'd see what he could do. So I e mailed details of the four specimens I was interested in, and Lee replied to say that it might be a couple of weeks or so before things were sorted, but he'd taken a note, and would get back to me.

Towards the end of July, I received an e mail from Lee to say that Gary's entire collection had been sold to a single buyer, but Lee had held back the 164A for me. Buyer wanted the others I'd requested. That's how I got it. 

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I can't imagine it's a state secret. I've certainly not been asked not to say how I came by the coin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I can't imagine it's a state secret. I've certainly not been asked not to say how I came by the coin. 

No-one hasn't asked me not to quote your whole post so I haven't.. not. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Two recent acquisitions:

1908 F164a (9).JPG

• Like 1

and

1913 F176 (4).JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

and

1913 F176 (4).JPG

Jon, I know these are a sod to tell apart, but I think that may be a 177 - P of Penny to a gap and colon between GRA and BRITT to a tooth.

I hope one of the experts corrects me, I'm wrong, and it's a 175 or 176.   

I am no expert but its a F176.

First 1 of date to tooth ,no rim & sea intersects tooth 🙂

Edited by PWA 1967

Just from instinct and experience I'd say that was the later obverse and earlier reverse. I.e. one of the scarce combos.

Yep, you're right. The one is definitely over a tooth. It just looked at first glance as though the P of Penny was to a gap not a tooth.

I need to get me teeth and gaps sorted.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Jon, I know these are a sod to tell apart, but I think that may be a 177 - P of Penny to a gap and colon between GRA and BRITT to a tooth.

I hope one of the experts corrects me, I'm wrong, and it's a 175 or 176.   

F176 Mike. I’ve stopped even looking at reverse pointings as the thin v thick edge is much easier. Thin reverse edge and equal gap between GRA.BRITT = F176. Thick edge and GRA. BRITT = F175. 

A pleasing £1.84 from the US of A for that one. 🙂

• Like 1