British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

27 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Still can't believe that London Coins example...

Beggars belief, doesn't it. 

Even more incredible that someone fell for it. 

• Like 2

acquired this at Heritage for $32 hammer.

RsputW.jpg

hgxpYw.jpg

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 4

1902-trial1-obv.jpg?w=300&h=2981902-trial1-rev.jpg?w=300&h=300

One thats a bit different (daft ) that i bought last week.

A couple of other different types have been touted about recently but only wanted one 😉

• Like 4

:)

1908 F164a (6).JPG

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

:)

1908 F164a (6).JPG

That's looking suspiciously like a 164A - very neat capture, Jon. Well played that man. 

Better than average specimen as well :)

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That's looking suspiciously like a 164A - very neat capture, Jon. Well played that man. 

Better than average specimen as well :)

Only the second one I've seen where the top of the ear is still intact (the other being the far superior one Terry found), although no doubt there are plenty I haven't seen. Chuffed to bits, and the seller included a free halfpenny too. :D

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, PWA 1967 said:

One thats a bit different (daft ) that i bought last week.

Yes, I've added these 1902 Trials to my rare penny website - there's an interesting combination of obverses and reverses, all interchangeable.

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

Yes, I've added these 1902 Trials to my rare penny website - there's an interesting combination of obverses and reverses, all interchangeable.

Yes.When i was doing some research i found this link quite interesting.Not just pennies but other denominations ,some of which have been asked about previously on here.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/special-collections/foreword.php?specialcollection_id=160

If anyone is interested you can click on the tab at the bottom and some have footnotes as well as descriptions.

I believe there are a few others about ,but as i mentioned just a bit different.

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi guys, i think that i have just purchased an f175. The reverse is definitely B, but i cannot upload the picture. So hopefully, this is an obverse A. It was cheap anyway.   

And it is 1913. Probably an f176.     image_56deeda1-a655-4bfa-9e88-056250f53c94_1296x.png.d49cafcef59d2315143c8934a37d9c09.pngRegards, Ian

Edited by Iannich48

That would make it a F177 Ian .

Although unsure what REV you mean ?

Its OBV 2 though.

Edited by PWA 1967

12 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Hi guys, i think that i have just purchased an f175. The reverse is definitely B, but i cannot upload the picture. So hopefully, this is an obverse A. It was cheap anyway.   

And it is 1913. Probably an f176.     image_56deeda1-a655-4bfa-9e88-056250f53c94_1296x.png.d49cafcef59d2315143c8934a37d9c09.pngRegards, Ian

That's obverse 2. So if it is reverse B, it's a F177. 

Ok cheers, i could see that the colons after IMP did not line up quite right, but the colon after BRITT seemed like obverse A. Oh well, i will keep looking.

The reverse is B, i have no doubt.

Edited by Iannich48

10 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Ok cheers, i could see that the colons after IMP did not line up quite right, but the colon after BRITT seemed like obverse A. Oh well, i will keep looking.

The reverse is B, i have no doubt.

Another good indicator Ian.

OBV 1..... I of IMP to space

OBV 2......I of IMP to tooth.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that indicator PWA, i will make a note of that and try not to make that mistake again.

You get a 'feel' for Obverses 1 and 2, and Reverses A & B after a while. I could see that was the second obverse even without checking the teeth. 

Obverse A                                                                              Obverse B

1000037075_1913F175obvzoom2.JPG.d97b9cc49235d308350aea40897ab80e.JPG518077005_1913F176obvzoom.JPG.277a6af1699160da59c2b50c18d351cc.JPG

A & B much closer together on obverse B

Yes the gap is the first one i look at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-V-1913-One-Penny-Coin-Collectors-King-George-5th-/202639009952?nma=true&si=RoK94v15yq838hgYv7cnTr69aSs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe all the posts on here about 1913 pennies even sellers are checking them now ,this Rang F175 was listed and taken off straight away a couple of days ago :D although not really worth much more than a couple of £.

51 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes the gap is the first one i look at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-V-1913-One-Penny-Coin-Collectors-King-George-5th-/202639009952?nma=true&si=RoK94v15yq838hgYv7cnTr69aSs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe all the posts on here about 1913 pennies even sellers are checking them now ,this Rang F175 was listed and taken off straight away a couple of days ago :D although not really worth much more than a couple of £.

Except R. Ingram.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, alfnail said:

1870 Dot Reverse.jpg

I sold one just like that, I believe it was to Tony Crocker. It has the large dot below the "Y" in penny.

Got this off the Bay a couple of years back.

Same tilted 1 and 7.

Which of course it would be.

Are they going for good money now, or are they still too uncommon?

P1030183.jpeg.e0860fe56bbf70b9e6978d2f41c5670b.jpeg

5 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Same tilted 1 and 7.

Blakey, That "Dot" is footnoted in Freeman's Book on page 74, footnote #16. Michael told me one time that he did not assign #'s to items he had not actually seen and verified, instead he made a footnote listing only.

• Like 1

Oooh yeah- hadn't noticed that.... cheers Bob

3 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Same tilted 1 and 7.

One was sold by London Coins in December 2016 for £400 + BP (Ex-Findlow, see link); I can't see that they have sold another one since.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&auc=155&searchlot=1202&searchtype=2

Other than yours, and the one Bob sold to Tony C, I am only aware of one other which I saw briefly on ebay (think about a year ago) and then it disappeared...…..not sure why!

So my feeling is that it is rarer than the 1897 Dot, and probably on a par with the 1875 Canon Ball.

Maybe other members know of additional examples, would be good to hear. 

Yep, I have a feeling that's the four.

Wasn't there one sold in the US in the last 2 years?

Or was it an 1875 dot...can't remember....