British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

On 20 February 2019 at 6:38 PM, 1949threepence said:

Also pleased with this 1904 penny I got from David Craddock. It's not the easiest date to get in tip top condition. Uncirculated with 95% lustre - ever so lightly toning. Unfortunately, evidence of a fingerprint on the reverse, and there is a small carbon spot on the obverse. Think I've finally resolved the colour disparity. 

Very nice Mike. You're right, it's probably the hardest Edward penny to find in top condition, and that includes the 1902LT in my opinion.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Very nice Mike. You're right, it's probably the hardest Edward penny to find in top condition, and that includes the 1902LT in my opinion.

Thanks Chris. I remember the game Matt @Nordle11 had when he was looking for a decent specimen. So thought I would snap it up. Not surprisingly David Craddock was asking £135 for it. Well worth it though. 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Chris. I remember the game Matt @Nordle11 had when he was looking for a decent specimen. So thought I would snap it up. Not surprisingly David Craddock was asking £135 for it. Well worth it though. 

That's a strong price! But worth it in that condition, I'd say.

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I've got that one now. :)

Well done, Jon. I know it was a superb specimen, which he got from LCA. Not through auction, but from their choice English coins for direct sale. Can't recall the exact price he paid, but it was quite expensive.

• Like 1

Mine looks rather sick by comparison, especially the reverse, but I can console myself with the fact it only cost a fraction!

1508854481_1904pennyobv.jpg.c775dfcf815e16a6f64d196b6311c9f5.jpg 1069353922_1904pennyrev.jpg.55259d8f4c5ec9baf8db667060fc3c2f.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well done, Jon. I know it was a superb specimen, which he got from LCA. Not through auction, but from their choice English coins for direct sale. Can't recall the exact price he paid, but it was quite expensive.

High grade LCA's choice English coins for direct sale is almost invariably quite / very expensive. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Mine looks rather sick by comparison, especially the reverse, but I can console myself with the fact it only cost a fraction!

1508854481_1904pennyobv.jpg.c775dfcf815e16a6f64d196b6311c9f5.jpg 1069353922_1904pennyrev.jpg.55259d8f4c5ec9baf8db667060fc3c2f.jpg

Looks OK to me. Carbon spots are less distracting on the reverse and they are not in focal areas (except the single spot on Britannia's hand). And a coin always looks better when it didn't cost very much :)

• Like 1

Very pleased with the 1902 LT (lot 1285) I won at the LCA. True, I did pay over the usual odds for it. But well worth it in my view, as it's about as close to flawless as it's possible to get for a currency strike of that age.  

low tide 1902 rev.jpg

low tide 1902 obv.jpg

• Like 12

Yes it looked a really good one in the pictures Mike and you wont have to look for another ☺️

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes it looked a really good one in the pictures Mike and you wont have to look for another ☺️

Absolutely Pete. Never a need to upgrade buying something like that.

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very pleased with the 1902 LT (lot 1285) I won at the LCA. True, I did pay over the usual odds for it. But well worth it in my view, as it's about as close to flawless as it's possible to get for a currency strike of that age.  

Well done Mike, now I know who outbid me😞. Pleased that it went to a Forum member😀

• Like 1

Looks so much better than the LCA photos - they seem to be going the way of Spink !

36 minutes ago, IanB said:

Well done Mike, now I know who outbid me😞. Pleased that it went to a Forum member😀

Thanks & sorry Ian. I actually put in an advance e mail bid of £300, knowing virtually for certain that there would be other bids for the same coin, well above the £175 upper estimate. To be honest, even at that, I half expected to fail.  

24 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Looks so much better than the LCA photos - they seem to be going the way of Spink !

I don't get it, Richard. If I can get a half decent shot using my tablet in a basic Heath Robinson way, from an armchair in my spare bedroom, why do large organisations struggle with what is an essential component of coin trading.     

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't get it, Richard. If I can get a half decent shot using my tablet in a basic Heath Robinson way, from an armchair in my spare bedroom, why do large organisations struggle with what is an essential component of coin trading.  

Absolutely - DNW, Heritage, Stacks Bowers etc have top quality pictures and I'm sure it reflects in prices realised. Seems obvious to me, and you. LCA used to have pretty good photos so it's surprising to see the deterioration.

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Absolutely - DNW, Heritage, Stacks Bowers etc have top quality pictures and I'm sure it reflects in prices realised. Seems obvious to me, and you. LCA used to have pretty good photos so it's surprising to see the deterioration.

It is. They can surely afford high end photographic equipment, together with suitable rooms and lighting. Even hire top drawer professional photographers if necessary.

Doing it on the cheap is surely a false economy. 

Matt proof? really?

Thoughts? I must admit, it certainly doesn't look like a proof to me. But got good provenance and went for £2600 hammer. 

Doesn't look as though there's much to distinguish it from a normal currency strike. 

ETA: Sorry, meant to post this in the "More Pennies" thread.

06/03/2016
Auction 152
English Coins Lot
Penny 1908 Matt Proof, as Freeman 167 dies 2+D, About as struck with subdued lustre, some small spots on either side, purchased from Glendinings 28/7/1999 hammer price £430, we note an example in a 2014 US auction Realised $8000  £2,600

proof 1908.jpg

proof 1908 obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

I don't believe that for a moment - IMO def. NOT a proof!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Even in all my milled ignorance was just about to post NO way too!

• Like 1

Are London Coins SO bad? One can only presume they’d be happy to have it slabbed as such?

Edited by Coinery

14 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

4 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Even in all my milled ignorance was just about to post NO way too!

3 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Are London Coins SO bad? One can only presume they’d be happy to have it slabbed as such?

I just feel sorry for whoever bought it. They've been ripped off.

I see it went from Glendinnings in 1999 for £430, and even that was about 8 times too much in itself (in my opinion).  

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This is what an Edward matt proof penny looks like...

That's more like it !!! 

Night and day...

Still can't believe that London Coins example...