British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

I don't know, I put the 19H up there - but mainly because the metal fabric and toning seem so bad on higher grade examples of the latter.

14 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

So true. A good obverse strike almost guarantees a weak reverse.

I've often wondered that. Or a limited number of dies so they got overused.

Of course, if that is the case, then theoretically at least, there may be some decent specimens to be had.  

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Of course, if that is the case, then theoretically at least, there may be some decent specimens to be had.  

Oh indeed there are. And those command a weighty premium, especially well struck high grade 19H which are hard to find.

Did anybody here spot this F32 at auction a week before Xmas? Sold as 1861 penny, but somebody else noticed it as it hammered at a grand, £1280 with costs, so not cheap but as nice an example as I've seen for sale in recent years despite a few marks. As usual the reverse F  is weak, must have been a very worn die.

Another for your list, Richard.

Jerry

image049.jpg

image048.jpg

• Like 7

Although I'm spent up after Christmas, I really felt that with two recent price reductions to 71% of the original asking price, I just had to get this 1919KN penny from Lee at Colin Cooke, so cracked open a savings account to get it. Very pleased.

It's GEF both sides in my opinion, although Lee described it as a/UNC. In hand it's actually still got that UNC sheen though, with the merest trace of lustre remaining in the obverse devices. It's a fairly good strike, with only very faint ghosting to the reverse, and some moderate hair detail. There are a couple of very minor edge knocks at about 2 O' Clock and 4 O' Clock on the reverse. Also what looks like a die crack extending from about 12 O' Clock on the obverse, South South East across the King's head to the top of the ear. That apart it's completely issue free.

Unusually for a KN it seems to have toned dark. Or at any rate would have toned properly dark had it remained in circulation. 

penny 1919kn rev.jpg

penny 1919kn obv.jpg

• Like 14

23 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Although I'm spent up after Christmas, I really felt that with two recent price reductions to 71% of the original asking price, I just had to get this 1919KN penny from Lee at Colin Cooke, so cracked open a savings account to get it. Very pleased.

It's GEF both sides in my opinion, although Lee described it as a/UNC. In hand it's actually still got that UNC sheen though, with the merest trace of lustre remaining in the obverse devices. It's a fairly good strike, with only very faint ghosting to the reverse, and some moderate hair detail. There are a couple of very minor edge knocks at about 2 O' Clock and 4 O' Clock on the reverse. Also what looks like a die crack extending from about 12 O' Clock on the obverse, South South East across the King's head to the top of the ear. That apart it's completely issue free.

Unusually for a KN it seems to have toned dark. Or at any rate would have toned properly dark had it remained in circulation. 

Very very nice Mike - and very rare, possibly as rare as a 1926ME in similar condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Very very nice Mike - and very rare, possibly as rare as a 1926ME in similar condition.

Thanks Chris. As I've noted before the trick with this series is getting a good strike. Not easy, and you need to buy as soon as you see one for any given year. I feel lucky to have got two decent KN's (1918 & 1919).  

• Like 1

Another Ebay purchase I am pleased with arrived yesterday, surprised there were not more bidders as got it for £70. Nice F18, not advertised as such and much better than most, fairly worn dies as usual but little wear and a nice tone.

Jerry

image051.jpg

image050.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Another Ebay purchase I am pleased with arrived yesterday, surprised there were not more bidders as got it for £70. Nice F18, not advertised as such and much better than most, fairly worn dies as usual but little wear and a nice tone.

Jerry

Really nice issue free coin, pretty much flawless in fact, apart from a small minor L shape by the Queen's mouth, which doesn't detract.

I always think the F18 is somewhat scarcer than the R13 Freeman ascribes to it.

A similar looking one of slightly inferior grade, went for £300 hammer at the June 2017 LCA (lot 2850).  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I always think the F18 is somewhat scarcer than the R13 Freeman ascribes to it.

Definitely - uncharismatic die-pairing but very hard to find in decent grade.

• Like 1

Is that not just a recut 7 Terry or the number partially blocked ,i may well be completely wrong but doesnt look like the one i am familiar with 🙂

You could be right Pete, I think it may be an early example of the known type , ie before more of the old filled in 7 started to brake away, or a second type from another over stamped die ??? .

On Richards rare coin site I noticed that on Blake Davitts example, the inner line by the second N in PENNY kinks outwards , this same feature can be seen on my Penny, so I assume that they are both from the same die

1437099589_7over7-Copy.jpg.57949773136263b7fb27b836f91b0973.jpg1706838464_18747over7rev-Copy.jpg.2614aa1802ce70256a21e4cea186a7a2.jpg

Oooh you could be right Terry - well spotted- I'll dig the coin out when I'm back in the country  and have a look.

The 1874 group of die pairings is my favourite- (still looking for an F76) so I have a pile of them, so I'll check them too.

Maybe this is the die that started to break up until spotted at the Mint.

might be interesting to see if the progression is obvious in my pile of spares....

Interesting - the 7 on both Blake's coin and Terry's coin is noticeably higher than on the first few examples noted. I'm not sure whether to remove Blake's example from my website or include it with Terry's example as separate "types" ?

Actually, looking at the "sloping" 7 on Blake's/Terry's coins, it's possible that the 7 over 7 is an attempt to repair the sloping 7 ?

Edited by secret santa

It does as you say Richard look as though there were two different dies , both of which underwent a repair to the 7 ??

Just arrived today

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Nice example with just a trace of colon after R and possibly after G ?

Yes, very slight after the G, not so noticeable in reality but obviously magnified when enlarged.

14 minutes ago, IanB said:

Just arrived today

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

Good clean and clear example, quite scarce

• Like 2

After a prolonged period of abstinence I have picked up a bunch of reasonably decent Victoria Pennies. Two I would appreciate opinions on.

Here is the first - 1869 penny. Apart from the obvious damage, is there any problem with it? I know there are lots of forgeries of this date around, but I can't see any fault with this one - anyone spot anything I have missed?

1869 D 6+G 1 Red.JPG

1869 D 6+G 2 Red.JPG

... and here is the second. 1874 Penny - after much peering at images both in the book and online I am still not certain if this is Obverse 7 or 8. The curve of the top lip looks 8 but the ribbons look 7. Reverse I think is G. Please put me right!

1874 D 8+G 1 Red.JPG

1874 D 8+G 2 Red.JPG