British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Thanks, Nick!

Quite a bit of colour LOST, I meant to say!

Btw, NO rub on G5 nose or brow, don't know why it looks that way....

Was this coin slabbed and  If so what was the grading?

On 17 November 2018 at 11:29 PM, 1949threepence said:

You say that and yet the example I posted above has good hair detail and no evidence of ghosting. The obvious question is, therefore, why did ghosting suddenly start, when, ostensibly, the same build of dies were being used? 

The poor hair detail I can understand, but that too seems to go hand in hand with ghosting. 

It's difficult to know why the recessed ear experiment was stopped. We'll never know now, but maybe it had something to do with the war.    

It suddenly started in 1911, when the deep profile portrait of GV came in. For comparison, the portrait of Ed8 is sufficiently shallower that ghosting is less pronounced and Britannia suffers much less. As the ghosting was an accidental effect, it is neither intentional nor invariable so there are good strikes out there, but they're hard to get hold of.

As for the poor hair detail on some, that's purely down to the overuse of dies - note how the increase in penny mintages was sharp and dramatic, and "there was a war on" too. Bear in mind that the obverse 'sucked' metal from the reverse even when the die was worn; the hair detail was simply the icing on the cake, not the priime cause of ghosting. 

I think you're probably right about the war ending the recessed ear experiment. 

• Like 2

The 1926ME was MS65RB, ex- Spink (about yr. 2000 from the late and lamented SNC).

Ghosting, to a lesser extent can be seen on Edward bronze coins but is more pronounced on the George V 1911 - 1919 for both bronze and silver issues. Then very much reduced after 1919 until the end of the reign on bronze coins.

Edited by ozjohn
extra info

18 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Ghosting, to a lesser extent can be seen on Edward bronze coins but is more pronounced on the George V 1911 - 1919 for both bronze and silver issues. Then very much reduced after 1919 until the end of the reign on bronze coins.

Yes, because Edward's portrait was both larger and shallower so was a better design. 

The ghosting reduced in a few stages :

• after the shallower portrait was introduced in 1920/21
  • after the ME portrait
  • after the reduction in size of the ME (on bronze)
  • with the new reverse designs (small for bronze, 1925-1927), radically different for silver from 1928

On 11/19/2018 at 11:03 PM, Peckris 2 said:

It suddenly started in 1911, when the deep profile portrait of GV came in. For comparison, the portrait of Ed8 is sufficiently shallower that ghosting is less pronounced and Britannia suffers much less. As the ghosting was an accidental effect, it is neither intentional nor invariable so there are good strikes out there, but they're hard to get hold of.

As for the poor hair detail on some, that's purely down to the overuse of dies - note how the increase in penny mintages was sharp and dramatic, and "there was a war on" too. Bear in mind that the obverse 'sucked' metal from the reverse even when the die was worn; the hair detail was simply the icing on the cake, not the priime cause of ghosting. 

I think you're probably right about the war ending the recessed ear experiment. 

It did, but as Pete said, it does appear to get worse over the following few years.

Good point about the vastly increased mintages.

On 21 November 2018 at 6:49 AM, 1949threepence said:

Good point about the vastly increased mintages.

Compare the average halfcrown mintage from 1902 - 1913, with those from 1914-1918 for real dramatic effect!

20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Compare the average halfcrown mintage from 1902 - 1913, with those from 1914-1918 for real dramatic effect!

Indeed. Same with the florins, and to a lesser extent the shillings. 

• Like 1

This is the coin that @Paddy drew our attention to a week or two back. He was selling it on e bay, and I was the only bidder. Just received today.

It may be a common date, but this is no common representation of it. UNC, a truly superb strike, great hair detail, totally flawless and with immaculate toning.

I initially though that the obverse was EF, but in hand, I'm half inclined to think that what appears at first glance to be wear at the highest points is in fact residual lustre. But either way, it's still a truly outstanding specimen, and amazing value at only £19.95.

Thanks Paddy from a very satisfied customer :)

(apologies, again, I've got that colour variation)

penny 1919 rev.jpg

penny 1919 obv.jpg

• Like 8

What goes round comes round. This one was brought to me today at the market as a gift from a chap I had helped assess his collection of modern silver crowns. (He couldn't work out which were silver and which were not.) Anyway, a pretty nice 1908 Penny - I believe 2+D, F166 so not scarce but nice as a freebie!

1908 D 2+D 1 Red.JPG

1908 D 2+D 2 Red.JPG

Edited by Paddy
Typo corrected - thanks Terry!
  • Like 9

On 12 December 2018 at 7:17 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

I could be wrong , but I could have sworn its 1908 Penny.  :D  Nice coin though

Yes, that's what Paddy said it was !!

37 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's what Paddy said it was !!

That's what I thought to start with, and wondered why Terry had made the remark he did. Then I noticed that Paddy had edited his post with "typo corrected - thanks Terry". So he must have typed the wrong year in initially.     

Thought i'd add this to one i already have

Screenshot 2018-12-15 13.47.35.png

Screenshot 2018-12-15 13.47.35 copy.png

Screenshot 2018-12-15 13.47.35 copy 2.png

• Like 7

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That's what I thought to start with, and wondered why Terry had made the remark he did. Then I noticed that Paddy had edited his post with "typo corrected - thanks Terry". So he must have typed the wrong year in initially.     

It was originally a 1980 penny. ;)

Edited by mrbadexample

I knew Paddy must have fat fingers or a time machine.

Bought two 1902 Low Tide Pennies yesterday, at the Indiana State Coin Exposition. Both were in about the same condition (AU-UNC). They were not marked as LT's. Once in a while you get lucky! 

IMG_1505 (640x480).jpg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Bought two 1902 Low Tide Pennies yesterday, at the Indiana State Coin Exposition. Both were in about the same condition (AU-UNC). They were not marked as LT's. Once in a while you get lucky! 

IMG_1505 (640x480).jpg

Nice, and a happy birthday old bean..........

• Like 2

9 hours ago, azda said:

Just for a moment there  - having absent mindedly registered the "MS 64" - I thought it was an 1864 penny, in which case it would be the finest known and worth a small (or not so small) fortune!

9 hours ago, azda said:

Great coin. Don't know how they survive with full mint lustre for so long. As an observation it appears the RM issues with ghosting are apparent with this coin.  I would be very happy to own this coin.

Edited by ozjohn

6 hours ago, azda said:

Nice, and a happy birthday old bean..........

Thanks Dave. Those birthdays just keep coming...Ha,Ha! 

6 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Thanks Dave. Those birthdays just keep coming...Ha,Ha! 

It's when they stop coming that you need to worry! 😁