British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

15 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Believe me.......😄

I do......maybe it's a psuedonym, or his middle name.

Any rate, here's the note he sent with the coin.

topcarp 2.jpg

His name is Stephen..........hence the reason i called him Mr Jerrams 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's about the same grade as the one I bought from Richard. Very nice. I suppose if it was 1919KN we'd have to treble or quadruple the price, but those are very much rarer.

They are indeed. I note Lee Brownson has got one on offer for well over £1k at Colin Cooke. a/UNC, but to be honest, not that marvellous. Nonetheless exceptionally rare in that condition.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I do......maybe it's a psuedonym, or his middle name.

Any rate, here's the note he sent with the coin.

topcarp 2.jpg

Interesting. It's exactly the same "Best Wishes" handwriting as on the letter he wrote to me in 2000, in which he signs himself "John".

• Like 1

There is a reason but i wont bore you with that on here...........John/Stephen/Satin/Topcarp Still the same person 😂

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

There is a reason but i wont bore you with that on here...........John/Stephen/Satin/Topcarp Still the same person 😂

Intriguing! I promise I won't be bored! :lol: However I don't doubt it's the same guy.

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not boring, I assure you. But obviously may be confidential, so will leave that with you, Pete. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Interesting. It's exactly the same "Best Wishes" handwriting as on the letter he wrote to me in 2000, in which he signs himself "John".

Ditto !!!! Must be a tax avoidance scheme........

• Like 2

You know, IMO, that the 1919 H if superb and WELL STRUCK of good metal should be considered amongst the best of these branch mint coins of this era. They  are nearly always mushy, or of poor colour (possibly as a result of metal mix??) and seem to have problems of some sort. For some reason I have soaked up a few of these over the years and have rather nice 18 and 19 KNs with little sweat involved (and they were about equally priced).

I am hard pressed to pick a value for a mint RB (OK that is for Red Brown) with good strike, metal and presentation. CC has about maxed that price IMO.

6 hours ago, secret santa said:

Ditto !!!! Must be a tax avoidance scheme........

In conversations I have had with him he told me his name was John, but he goes by Stephen. Why I do not know, and never asked him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RLC35 said:

In conversations I have had with him he told me his name was John, but he goes by Stephen. Why I do not know, and never asked him.

Thanks Bob. Anyway, it's him, irrespective of which name he chooses.

16 hours ago, VickySilver said:

You know, IMO, that the 1919 H if superb and WELL STRUCK of good metal should be considered amongst the best of these branch mint coins of this era. They  are nearly always mushy, or of poor colour (possibly as a result of metal mix??) and seem to have problems of some sort. For some reason I have soaked up a few of these over the years and have rather nice 18 and 19 KNs with little sweat involved (and they were about equally priced).

Yes, I agree. The 1919H is by far the commonest of the 1918 and 1919 H and KN pennies in lower grades, but it's even harder than 1918KN in top grade. My own is EF+ without lustre for circulation wear, but there is practically no hair detail as the die used must have worn considerably, and the hair is the highest point. It's possible the Mint supplied some obverse dies to Heatons in 1918 and few or none in 1919, so there was considerable re-use.

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, I agree. The 1919H is by far the commonest of the 1918 and 1919 H and KN pennies in lower grades, but it's even harder than 1918KN in top grade. My own is EF+ without lustre for circulation wear, but there is practically no hair detail as the die used must have worn considerably, and the hair is the highest point. It's possible the Mint supplied some obverse dies to Heatons in 1918 and few or none in 1919, so there was considerable re-use.

Just been looking through the collections on Colin Cooke's site, LCA and elsewhere. I couldn't see a single 1919H with more than a modicum of hair detail. Even on practically BU specimens. The dies Heatons used must have been very worn. 

Same applies to 1918H.

• Like 1

I really had near-conniptive fits trying to find one. IMO the 1918 H is also harder to find in well struck condition with hair/moustache detail, etc. and not excessive ghosting.

Please show some photos of 1918H and 1919H coins that are well struck of good metal and pleasing appearance if possible.

One I picked up a few years ago. Don't really collect this series, so would sell to a serious buyer, plz PM me if interested. 1309671708_T2eC16hHJIkFHSWM!G28BR-GQjCl7w60_31.jpg.beefe180a6af7faa992b2236f788915c.jpg998400373_T2eC16d!ygE9s7HKKSwBR-GQe)k7g60_31.jpg.bfc150d8fb1516570c92c167cf1841e1.jpg

• Like 5

Message sent to you Ian.

That Sir, is a very crisp strike. Metal colour a little funky but the stike is excellent and amongst the best I've seen. Notice the lack of ghosting as well!!

Edited by VickySilver

Had this arrive from Australia- the seller couldn't work out why anyone would pay AU$30 shipping on an AU$2 coin....

then he looked closer, realised what it was, but said it was his mistake and honoured the deal!!!

His Ebay name is 'the_jittery_horse'- a real honest seller!

P1030400.jpeg.2a5c9783d22f16f5a331a564bbbab518.jpegP1030399.jpeg.89cc6099e8becf5159391a70722d7868.jpeg

• Like 5

Cheers Kev. I couldn't believe it- I was doing the usual...you know....you know that if you did some standard searches once a day 

you'd catch stuff, but then you're too busy or can't be arsed and suddenly you get the OCD urge to REALLY look, so you get involved in a two-hour trawl...

It was 2 in the morning, I'd finished the malt,....     "just one more look".... and this guy had about fifteen 1908's in a row, all similar condition to this one,

so I thought   " this lot, then stop".......it was the last bloody one.....I was so tired I had to look again and again.......

( I told my friend that we all thought he was OCD, and he said       " you mean CDO, surely, ........alphabetical order......" ) :)

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, alfnail said:

One I picked up a few years ago. Don't really collect this series, so would sell to a serious buyer, plz PM me if interested. 1309671708_T2eC16hHJIkFHSWM!G28BR-GQjCl7w60_31.jpg.beefe180a6af7faa992b2236f788915c.jpg998400373_T2eC16d!ygE9s7HKKSwBR-GQe)k7g60_31.jpg.bfc150d8fb1516570c92c167cf1841e1.jpg

Amazing detail

A couple of Ebay finds from last week, both from the same vendor! The F763 was £29.95 and the 1861 Gouby G was £4.95. The latter would be an addition to Richard's 'Rarest Pennies' site. There appear to be at least three 1861 Gouby G die pairings on the site, this coin matching a couple of the other listed coins. Whether the actual staging of Gouby G can be determined is doubtful due to wear. While referencing the 'Rarest Pennies' site, where has the F38 gone? Too many of them?

I did spot an unrecognised F763 at the Midland Coin Fair last weekend, but only about VG so I left it as it was from the same pair of dies as mine.

Jerry

1860 F763 BP1860A obv (2).JPG

1860 F763 BP1860A rev (2).JPG

• Like 5

And the Gouby G.

1861 F22 Gouby G (2) obv.JPG

1861 F22 Gouby G (2) rev.JPG

1861 F22 Gouby G (2) closeup.JPG

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jelida said:

The latter would be an addition to Richard's 'Rarest Pennies' site.

Done !

On 11/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, jelida said:

While referencing the 'Rarest Pennies' site, where has the F38 gone?

F38 was never up there but, after Jerry's prompting and consulting my records, I'm in the process of adding it. Please let me know of any examples that I haven't listed.

• Like 1