British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

The year might be common, but that grade is rarely common, nice coin

• Like 1

Here is the reverse of my coin from earlier. The date and condition of this coin must be quite scarce.

s-l400 (4).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iannich48 said:

Here is the reverse of my coin from earlier. The date and condition of this coin must be quite scarce.

s-l400 (4).jpg

The date is very scarce and rare indeed in that condition. The porousness will certainly have an effect on value but I don't see why it shouldn't carry a value between VF and EF ? Nice one.

• Like 1

Thanks Peckris, i was thinking better than vf too. I guess the condition would half it's value maybe. It is for sale at £499 from a shop.

Edited by Iannich48

20 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Thanks Peckris, i was thinking better than vf too. I guess the condition would half it's value maybe. It is for sale at £499 from a shop.

This coin sold for £280 hammer at the LCA in June 2017 as VF/NVF. I could not pay nearly £500 for it, it as not an attractive coin and you are far better off waiting for a no problems VF at the same or a little more money than giving the vendor a £150 markup the coin does not justify. Again, look at past LCA and other sales.

Jerry

• Like 2

Thanks Jerry, i am impressed with your info about this coin. You guys on here really know your coins. Yes i checked LCA and there it was, thank you. So a nice coin, but not a bargain.

Ian.

• Like 1

Yes I concur. That is very sad damage to a nice coin that really puts a major hit on value.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

Thanks Jerry, i am impressed with your info about this coin. You guys on here really know your coins. Yes i checked LCA and there it was, thank you. So a nice coin, but not a bargain.

Ian.

It's a shame because without the damage it would be a nice coin worth the £499.

• Thanks 1

I have just won this on the bay, not bad for just over £15. Well i hope that it looks this nice when i get it.

$_1.jpeg

s-l400 (1).jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

I have just won this on the bay, not bad for just over £15. Well i hope that it looks this nice when i get it.

Good luck - it appears to be the "squashed-in-a-vice school of bad photography" :lol:

• Haha 1

My 1879 narrow date penny from the recent DNW auction has arrived. I'd estimate at GEF with some residual lustre. Really pleased, as this particular variety is extremely difficult to get in high grade, but not too scarce in grades up to VF. Bit like the 1864.

narrow date 1879 rev.jpg

narrow date 1879 obv.jpg

• Like 12

Got a nice 1862 F39A last week. Fantastic condition but cleaned - pity but it was cheap.

805663364_1862F39A1rev.thumb.jpg.6b00f269b84878f0c03bbb6837ecd049.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Got a nice 1862 F39A last week. Fantastic condition but cleaned - pity but it was cheap.

805663364_1862F39A1rev.thumb.jpg.6b00f269b84878f0c03bbb6837ecd049.jpg

Excellent catch......

Congratulations......

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that on Numisbids, but a few hours after the auction!  Correctly described, but wonderfully cheap! Well done, I wondered if it would find its way back to the UK.

Jerry

• Like 1

A couple of Penny upgrades from a local auction yesterday - nothing scarce but nice grades I think. First this 1904:

1904 D 1+B 2 Red.JPG

1904 D 1+B 1 Red.JPG

• Like 2

... and then this 1932. Shame about the spot on the reverse but the rest looks good:

1932 D 5+C 1 Red.JPG

1932 D 5+C 2 Red.JPG

• Like 3

After 8 plus years, i think I've gone as far as I can, for the time being, on the 1860 to 1901 series of pennies. I still have some very obvious gaps, but the rarer pieces are very difficult to come by, so my acquisitions from this series have slowed to a trickle. As a result I've branched out to the pennies of George V. Most of these are relatively easy to obtain in UNC at much lower prices than the bun series, but there are some rare ones, or at any rate, rare in high grade. The KN's are among the few in that era which have an exceptionally steep price/grade differential.

I'm therefore very pleased to have obtained this 1918KN, which, unusually for any pennies of that WW1 era, has an exceptionally good strike, with very good hair detail on the King's head. There is a tiny metal flaw between Britannia's arm and the trident, and the tiniest blemish to the right of the trident, neither of which detract. But that apart it's issue free and has noticeable residual lustre and nice even toning.

penny 1918kn obv.jpg

penny 1918kn rev.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Exceptional obverse, Mike, with a bit of crow's foot thrown in and very nice reverse. And a really pleasing colour. Provenance ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Exceptional obverse, Mike, with a bit of crow's foot thrown in and very nice reverse. And a really pleasing colour. Provenance ?

E Bayer Topcarp2  Richard. Accepted a best offer.

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

E Bayer Topcarp2  Richard. Accepted a best offer.

Its Mr.Jerrams Mike...........Satin 😉

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its Mr.Jerrams Mike...........Satin 😉

Well you say that, Pete, and I've heard it before on here a number of times. But it's John Jerrams isn't it. 

In e mail exchanges between us, he signed himself as "Stephen".

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well you say that, Pete, and I've heard it before on here a number of times. But it's John Jerrams isn't it. 

In e mail exchanges between us, he signed himself as "Stephen".

Believe me.......😄

That's about the same grade as the one I bought from Richard. Very nice. I suppose if it was 1919KN we'd have to treble or quadruple the price, but those are very much rarer.