British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

1879.date.jpg

• Like 1

They're so difficult to get in high grade.

I was pleased to spot this as a 'buy it now' on Ebay, so I bought it then!  Purchased on the first, it arrived today! I had been tracking it through Ebays 'Global Shipping' system, finally I can sleep at night. F24, with the missing top leaf. Cost me £150 all in, £40 of it postage via 'Global Shipping', what a p-i-t-a. But I wasn't going to argue, under the circumstances. One for your 'Rarest Pennies' page, Richard.

Jerry

1861 F24 missing top leaf rev.JPG

1861 F24 missing top leaf obv.JPG

• Like 12

Hat Off Jerry and well spotted.

If you keep adding them to Richards site they wont be rare anymore :D

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hat Off Jerry and well spotted.

If you keep adding them to Richards site they wont be rare anymore :D

It was an outstanding find and in great condition for a reverse F, for a truly bargain price. So yes, very, very well played Jerry.   

• Like 2

I spent a little money at DNW and filled a gap in my Crown collection:

1932 Cr 1 Red.JPG

1932 Cr 2 Red.JPG

• Like 4

Paddy, that's always been my favorite date. I have a soft spot for Wreaths as it is them that started me collecting..Very nice honest specimen there!

• Like 1

wV1RQGU.jpg

oIgUnWR.jpg

in a bulk buy I got the other day, in the new coins thread £2 for this, an 1879 narrow, a decent 1937 and average 1874 i havn't checked yet

• Like 1

Quite pleased with this one as an upgrade. I am now happy that I have all the 20th century pennies that are achievable in an acceptable grade for me. (Which means I can focus more on all the other upgrades I need to achieve!)

1904 D 2 Red.JPG

1904 D 1 Red.JPG

• Like 8

Now got an 1897 O .N E penny (F147) courtesy of Bob @RLC35   

I'd estimate at EF. Nice coin and another Freeman currency type box ticked.

dot penny rev.jpg

dot penny obv.jpg

• Like 9

Yes that is nice .........struggling to see the date properly on a small picture but is it an 8/6 ?.

Any chance of a bigger picture of the OBV or DATE ☺️

Edited by PWA 1967

Hi PWA, it is an 1856, so no overdate.       I will try for a bigger picture though.

18 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Hi PWA, it is an 1856, so no overdate.       I will try for a bigger picture though.

Thats why i thought it was a 6 😂 i thought it was an 1858 W.W..............Even nicer then than i first thought.

Hat off and a good buy , so an 1856 OT Scarce coin in that grade.

Edited by PWA 1967

Really pleased with the 1870 penny I just bought off e bay as an upgrade to my current one. An UNC choice example, with residual lustre and nice toning.

The original listing is here and these are my photos:- 

penny 1870 rev.jpg

penny 1870 obv.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Really pleased with the 1870 penny I just bought off e bay as an upgrade to my current one. An UNC choice example, with residual lustre and nice toning.

The original listing is here and these are my photos:- 

penny 1870 rev.jpg

penny 1870 obv.jpg

Stunning - love the toning

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Nice one, Mike.

Thanks Richard.

Hi guys, this coin is for sale at a good price. Does it look genuine to you? The obverse beads look a bit weird or is it just me? 642667112_s-l400(5).jpg.1b673b2ad1fcfb556a9e34c93912de95.jpg

9 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Hi guys, this coin is for sale at a good price. Does it look genuine to you? The obverse beads look a bit weird or is it just me? 642667112_s-l400(5).jpg.1b673b2ad1fcfb556a9e34c93912de95.jpg

They're not beads, they're teeth. It's a toothed border. I'd say it was genuine, but it looks somewhat pitted - maybe water damage? 

Also, that's obverse 6 - so unless it's a Freeman 17, it's not going to be an 1860, and you can only ever have a beaded border on an 1860. 

29 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Thanks 1949, my bad on the beads.

No worries. Might be interesting to post a pic of the reverse as well.

Well the near BU 1891 I bought from an e bayer in Norway has arrived. Absolute bargain, and apart from a very slight blemish on the reverse near the trident, and three negligible spots on the obverse, it's perfect. BU, but the lustre has slightly toned to a really deep orange. Despite all the hassle with paypal a few days ago, I'm really pleased.

I know the 1891 is common, but scarcer in this condition:-

penny 1891 rev.jpg

penny 1891 obv.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1