British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Hat off Terry thats a really good one ;)

Edited by PWA 1967

My latest acquistion is courtesy of Richard, and is a Freeman 105. It's the ex Laurie Bamford (DNW auction June 2006, lot No 109). Really nice specimen. Thanks Richard.

Freeman 105 reverse.jpg

Freeman 105 obverse.jpg

• Like 8

I'm glad you're pleased with it Mike. Always nice to see a collector add to his/her collection rather than someone buying just to make some easy money !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I'm glad you're pleased with it Mike. Always nice to see a collector add to his/her collection rather than someone buying just to make some easy money !

Likewise a bit non-plussed to see that 1860 penny on LCA already! The prices of your offerings were generous, and I am sure most of us (myself especially) were very grateful for the opportunity to add to our collections. Obviously in time all collections do get dispersed, but the impression here is of simply taking advantage.

Jerry

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, jelida said:

I am sure most of us (myself especially) were very grateful for the opportunity to add to our collections.

Likewise. Think I filled 26 gaps. :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, secret santa said:

C'est la vie - it was always a possibility even though a little disappointing.

I can safely say that all of my purchases are happliy sitting in my collection and won't be for sale any time soon (God willing).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Likewise a bit non-plussed to see that 1860 penny on LCA already! The prices of your offerings were generous, and I am sure most of us (myself especially) were very grateful for the opportunity to add to our collections. Obviously in time all collections do get dispersed, but the impression here is of simply taking advantage.

Jerry

Hear, Hear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

I can safely say that all of my purchases are happliy sitting in my collection and won't be for sale any time soon (God willing).

Same here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Picked up a rare 1874H 7 over 7 from our old friend Lucasz last week for £1.40.

What's with this one please Richard? I see the lump above the 7 but can't see how it fits with another 7? :huh:

If you look at the picture in Michael's book you can see the underlying 7 higher to the left and protruding from the left of the downstroke and the resulting 7 is slightly lower than the other numerals.

1874H 7 over 7 MG.jpg 

Picture courtesy of Michael Gouby.

Edited by secret santa
  • Like 2

Thanks Richard, much clearer! :)

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Picked up a rare 1874H 7 over 7 from our old friend Lucasz last week for £1.40.

1874H 7 over 7 [2] zoom.JPG

Nice one Richard.

Having picked up the rough old BP1874Nn (1874H 7 over 7) above only a couple of weeks ago, Bernie kindly pointed me to a superb example (not described as such) on Baldwin's For Sale list which I snapped up immediately.

1874H F73 7 over 7 rev.JPG

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Superb!!!

Maybe it'll turn out to be less rare than it currently appears but, looking at the die cracks on this one, maybe not that many were struck before the die gave out ?

Nice one Richard :)

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Maybe it'll turn out to be less rare than it currently appears but, looking at the die cracks on this one, maybe not that many were struck before the die gave out ?

I don't suppose the obverse lasted much longer either, judging by the Baldwins pictures. :)

Edited by mrbadexample

1870 Penny according to Mr Gouby date sub type D 12.5 teeth center of 1 to center of 0  (probably not seen) well now you have seen :)

1870obverse.jpg

1870reverse.jpg

• Like 1