British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

Yes, you are the "guru" that I was referring to. I'm sure there's a way to move a posting between topics, BUT I don't know how that's done, so I have to use a "brute force" method!

In any event, here's another recent acquisition, an 1874 penny (Freeman 70) that been graded MS65RB. I was really glad to be the high bidder for this coin at the most recent Goldberg auction. I think it's the current highest graded NGC or PCGS specimen.

lot 3119 - BP1874 - MS65 - Head.jpg

lot 3119 - BP1874 - MS65 - Tail.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see some pictures and another that is spot on.

I dont have a clue what GURU means :wacko: is it english ?.

In my usage of the Indian term "guru" it means:  a person with knowledge or expertise. As I have little of either quality concerning the "how to do" within the forum, folks like yourself need to give me the benefit of your "savoir faire".  

2 hours ago, cathrine said:

"savoir faire".  

You'll be explaining that next. :D

Some very nice pennies. On the 1874 there is a lack of detail on the lower right quarter of the shield, along with some roughness behind Britannia and in front of Victoria's face. What's caused this please? I'm assuming not damage or corrosion as it's slabbed. Rusty dies? :huh:

Comparing the coin with the photos indicates that the surface roughness patches in the photos are due to enlargement of a grainy photo; the actual surfaces are smooth.

The lower right portion of the shield is poorly defined; a possible explanation may be that the amount of material in the blank coin planchet was insufficient to fully fill the die when the coin was struck.  

3 minutes ago, cathrine said:

Comparing the coin with the photos indicates that the surface roughness patches in the photos are due to enlargement of a grainy photo; the actual surfaces are smooth.

The lower right portion of the shield is poorly defined; a possible explanation may be that the amount of material in the blank coin planchet was insufficient to fully fill the die when the coin was struck.  

I'm not so sure, if this were the case you aren't very likely to end up with this result because the metal would quite equally spread across the coin and produce an overall duller effect, as opposed to one particular area being 'un-struck'. More likely is a damaged die or a piece of foreign material in the area in question during the strike.

Yes, of course. If the coin planchet was undersize, then the entire reverse side would be lacking in definition. Since that's not the case, a die imperfection or die obstruction must have been the cause of the local striking imperfection.

Whilst I'd already got a Freeman 20, the one I've just managed to get is a full grade higher, about NVF. I don't think it's worthy of the title "penny acquisition of the week", it is nonetheless an acquisition, and it is somewhat scarce, so I'm quite pleased.

Freeman 20 penny 1861 rev.jpg

Freeman 20 penny 1861 obv.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one Mike, I saw that one on line , its the scarcer type which I discovered with the P in PENNY rotated left to point at the tooth.  Almost all  Rev. Freeman G coins have the P pointing to the gap   Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Nice one Mike, I saw that one on line , its the scarcer type which I discovered with the P in PENNY rotated left to point at the tooth.  Almost all  Rev. Freeman G coins have the P pointing to the gap   Terry

Thanks Terry, that's really useful info and well researched on your part. I would never have realised. 

14 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Terry, I remember you mentioning this to me a while ago. Have you found this type paired with other obverses ?

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Terry, I remember you mentioning this to me a while ago. Have you found this type paired with other obverses ?

Yes Richard, with some Obv. 4s ,and they normally also have the  6+1 in the date, closer together than on the normal Rev.Gs,   Just found the Obv 6  and the 6+1 are wide apart .   Terry

Edited by terrysoldpennies

P.s  I have only ever found the P to Tooth  Rev. Gs on  1861 coins , none of the subsequent years to 1874, but then you out there may prove me to be wrong.     Terry

I haven't found any of the slanting P types but I have found 2 open P types, on an F20 and F37 proof. See pics.

1861 F20 rev zoom.JPG1861 F37 proof rev zoom.JPG

Well Richard I can't find any of these open Ps among my 1861 to 74 coins, it does seem to show that there are an enormous number of variations made to a more or less similar design during the first three years of the bronze coin production. I guess many more are still out there to be discovered .    Terry

Yes Terry, considering the number of reverse G coins struck over 14 years, I think this open P version must be quite scarce if not rare. I'll leave it to other collectors to check their coins to shed more light. I've just looked through some of my stored pictures and I've found roughly 3 other F37 proofs with open P and roughly 3 without (I say roughly because some of the pics aren't high enough resolution to tell). I haven't found any other F20 examples.

No open Ps as yet but wondered if anyone noted any anti clockwise sloping 1s as I don't recollect seeing any myself?

1 anti clockwise (3).jpg