British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

9 minutes ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

2 Freeman 112s on ebay if you are interested

One of them is always on there, not only is the price always too high but I'm pretty sure the 'slabbed' coin was also rejected, however the seller cuts all that info out of the pictures.

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

One of them is always on there, not only is the price always too high but I'm pretty sure the 'slabbed' coin was also rejected, however the seller cuts all that info out of the pictures.

Matt it wasnt rejected although its been talked about on here before :)

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Matt it wasnt rejected although its been talked about on here before :)

Ah OK, he has a few rejected slabbed coins that guy, must've confused them.

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its on the TPG thread   CGS penny        3rd Jan 2015.

Well Prax pretty much sums it up in that thread;

If I am not mistaken I might have had this coin graded (because I graded a 1882 penny which was in similar grade and there are only 2 more of this date graded). I sold this when in 2009 I quit pennies and sold a huge part of my collection to invest the proceeds in bullion. The point to stress is that this coin and a 1861 6 over 8 that I had graded at pretty much the same time were pretty run down when I bought them. Both had verdigris and they both graded (albeit at very low levels). Back then verdigris was not a problem, this is going back a good 5 or 6 years, it was more about establishing CGS as a brand. I would doubt if these would grade if you took them to CGS for grading today. To give you an idea back then the 2 coins graded in less than 3 weeks and I gave 40 odd pennies for grading. 20 for an encapsulation only service which cost £5. I don't think they have an encapsulation only service anymore. It gives you an idea of where CGS was at back then.

UIN is  33327-PE.VI.1882.02

5 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

OK, thanks. I'll take a look.

16 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

I can only see one - this one - and I think I can detect a mark where the H should be. Besides which, even if it were the genuine article, £2k is a rip off.   

Edited by 1949threepence

Weak at the bottom right and left of the 8s respectively and also at the linear circle. Couple that with a silly price, a vendor with baggage and the whole thing is a tad unappealing.

It's a pity that he only states 'slabbed by CGS' and doesn't include the attribution given on the label. Could say 1882H for all I know.

Edited by Rob

7 minutes ago, declanwmagee said:

Yes Rob, quite agree, got to show the slab label if you're selling a slabbed coin.

Possibly reluctant if it has a yellow 'reject' label, but yes he should

• Like 1

Depends what is being rejected. If you have a unique coin or nearly so that they are unwilling to slab, it doesn't reduce the value to zero, in fact it could still be worth tens of thousands.

Would probably fetch more though if broken out in some instances,the one slabbed wasnt rejected but forgetting about the coin/seller :rolleyes:

I have bought some rejected coins recently for my own collection and got them IMO for less than if they would of just been sold raw.

A couple now broken out i am happy with as scarce and the yellow ticket does put people off.

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Would probably fetch more though if broken out in some instances,the one slabbed wasnt rejected but forgetting about the coin/seller :rolleyes:

I have bought some rejected coins recently for my own collection and got them IMO for less than if they would of just been sold raw.

A couple now broken out i am happy with as scarce and the yellow ticket does put people off.

So people are still buying the little piece of paper rather than the coin.............

Some things make you despair.

Well i can only say what i have bought cheaply .

It was with regards rejected coins and these will sell if left in a slab cheaper more often than not.

If as the ones i bought had been unslabbed i would of probably paid more,the post was that if a coin has a yellow ticket it does not generate as much interest.

Guest Sam_guest041
On 24/11/2016 at 0:07 AM, 1949threepence said:

I can only see one - this one - and I think I can detect a mark where the H should be. Besides which, even if it were the genuine article, £2k is a rip off.   

It is genuine lookup CGS 33327.

lcgs.png

Still wouldn't pay £2k for it. Would you?

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Not sure how it can be worth 2K if it is listed as being worth 2K on the CGS site. All the prices on there are inflated to provide a premium for being slabbed :huh: Either that or the more likely scenario is that they ran out of decimal points.

Let's be honest. That coin has zero eye-appeal.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

that was one on Ebay I think.. I think it had an H that was removed.

Edited by scott

Guest Sam_guest041
3 hours ago, scott said:

that was one on Ebay I think.. I think it had an H that was removed.

Removing the H would not help. The London mint 1882 is spotted by examining the obverse. The obverse of an 1882 London mint penny is always a Freeman 11. You might be aware that the Freeman 11 is characterised by a distinct hooked Victoria nose and very minute but observable gap between R and I of BRITT. One can rub the H away but all the 1882 Heaton mint pennies are always paired with Freeman obverse 12 (and not an obverse 11), which always has a straighter nose and there is never a gap between the R and I of BRITT.

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Probably not!!!! Not because I feel 2k is a lot for a F112 but because I can think of better coins that I could buy for 2k.

4 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

Removing the H would not help. The London mint 1882 is spotted by examining the obverse. The obverse of an 1882 London mint penny is always a Freeman 11. You might be aware that the Freeman 11 is characterised by a distinct hooked Victoria nose and very minute but observable gap between R and I of BRITT. One can rub the H away but all the 1882 Heaton mint pennies are always paired with Freeman obverse 12 (and not an obverse 11), which always has a straighter nose and there is never a gap between the R and I of BRITT.

I agree, but this one looks pretty good.

1882 F115 no H obv.jpg1882 F115 no H rev.jpg

15 hours ago, Rob said:

Not sure how it can be worth 2K if it is listed as being worth 2K on the CGS site. All the prices on there are inflated to provide a premium for being slabbed :huh: Either that or the more likely scenario is that they ran out of decimal points.

Let's be honest. That coin has zero eye-appeal.

Yes although prices may be high for some high quality coins some are cheap and i keep buying them to put away especially varieties.

I dont need to say which but the one year i have looked at daily 1934 slabbed UNC at £50 is an example.

Another year 1907 twenty seven have been graded but only one as 80 £125 i am not saying thats cheap or what its worth but the other twenty six were probably sent by people who thought the coin was nice.

In UNC problem free CGS £75 i think is quite hard to find.

Edited by PWA 1967

i got a slabbed 1746/3 maundy 1D for less then £40.. slabbed by NGC at AU 58, so slabs can be got cheap if you get a bit of luck

5 hours ago, secret santa said:

I agree, but this one looks pretty good.

1882 F115 no H obv.jpg1882 F115 no H rev.jpg

Absolutely. That one looks the real deal.