British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

I would like that. When England beat Scotland tomorrow night you may send it to me. A week can't get that bad so loosen up those postage stamps.:)

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

I would like that. When England beat Scotland tomorrow night you may send it to me. A week can't get that bad so loosen up those postage stamps.:)

I'm waving my virtual middle finger at you Peter B)

Guest Sam_guest041
On 07/11/2016 at 0:41 PM, RLC35 said:

You have to remember Pete, Spink is just a guide, and no more. The pricing in the book is at least 1 year behind valuation. due to research time, and publishing time. An example...a small date 1877 penny listed in Spink $1500 pounds(AF), I sold to a major player for $15,000! So much for Spink valuations. :)

$15000 is a bit excessive however which of the 2 coins is scarcer a Freeman 103 (1881H with ribbon up in obv) or a 1877 narrow date penny please?

3 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

$15000 is a bit excessive however which of the 2 coins is scarcer a Freeman 103 (1881H with ribbon up in obv) or a 1877 narrow date penny please?

Freeman 103 is R19, Freeman 90 is R18 - I think the 103 has the (?) because Freeman found one very worn specimen and wasn't sure if it had a H or not? Can't remember the details.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:41 AM, azda said:

I'm waving my virtual middle finger at you Peter B)

Three fingers Dave

Guest Sam_guest041
9 hours ago, Mr T said:

Freeman 103 is R19, Freeman 90 is R18 - I think the 103 has the (?) because Freeman found one very worn specimen and wasn't sure if it had a H or not? Can't remember the details.

I've heard that there are 6 known F103 specimens, which would put it in the same R18 category as the 1877 narrow date. However I've seen far more 1877 narrow dates offered in auctions but never a F103 (if you discount the Bamford example). Would that mean there are far more known 1877 narrow dates? I've come across someone with a F103, but he's asking £5000 for his fair specimen, should I be tempted?

2 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

I've heard that there are 6 known F103 specimens, which would put it in the same R18 category as the 1877 narrow date. However I've seen far more 1877 narrow dates offered in auctions but never a F103 (if you discount the Bamford example). Would that mean there are far more known 1877 narrow dates? I've come across someone with a F103, but he's asking £5000 for his fair specimen, should I be tempted?

Well according to Michael Gouby, there are 5 known F103's compared to 7 known F90's. As you say, Freeman has the F90 at R18, but classes the F103 at R19.

Personally, I do think Gouby has a slight tendency to estimate the number of admittedly very rare coins, on the low side of actuality.  

As to whether you pay £5k for a fair example of a 103, well personally I wouldn't. The best known specimen is EF, and Gouby has that at £1200 (2009 values). A VF specimen of a 103 went at the Bamford auction in 2006, for £1000 - it can be seen here

£5k might be in the ballpark for a fair 1877 narrow date F90, though, as it has a lot more cache than the F103.  

• Like 1

Guest Sam_guest041
48 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

£5k might be in the ballpark for a fair 1877 narrow date F90

Thank you! Just because there are fewer F103s one does not pay the same as one would for the F90. I understand and I don't all the same :)

43 minutes ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

Thank you! Just because there are fewer F103s one does not pay the same as one would for the F90. I understand and I don't all the same :)

Just imagine this scenario: A fair F103 and a fair1877 narrow date are posted to e bay at the same time. Which one will attract the most attention, and the hottest bidding war?    

• Like 1

Guest Sam_guest041

I'd snipe both :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

I'd snipe both :ph34r:

I'd melt both :ph34r:

• Like 1

Guest Sam_guest041

The 1877 will see more interest just like an 1882 London mint. Yet neither is as scarce as the F90 :)

Guest Sam_guest041

I meant to say 'like the F103'

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I'd melt both :ph34r:

Would that be before or after somebody offered you £7,500 for the pair?  ;)

43 minutes ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

I meant to say 'like the F103'

It's whatever attracts the buyers. Rarity in absolute terms isn't always the driver in that sense. In the F103/F90 situation, both would undoubtedly sell in fair condition, but I'd lay odds that the narrow date would ultimately fetch more, probably because it's immediately recognisable without further study. 

I'd certainly sooner have an F90 over an F103.

By the way, you can see some more F103's here  

Edited by 1949threepence
added a bit for clarity

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

deleted - quoted myself !

Edited by 1949threepence

On 11/10/2016 at 10:38 AM, Colin G. said:

I really like that if it is genuine, it just seems too central. I assume you have had a good look at the edge of the coin?

So this just arrived, i'll pop a couple of pictures up later. The weight i have is 3g although admittedly my scales aren't perfect, the dia is 18.5mm roughly measured with digi verniers, there doesn't seem to be any milling on the rim and the colour of that is the same as the rest of the coin...Pics will follow.....

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Edited by azda

I had considered buying that coin myself when I saw it @azda but I want convinced that it really was an error coin. I think it was described as a halfpenny struck on farthing flan (or penny on halfpenny flan, I can't remember) burnin reality I think it may just be a penny that has been trimmed round the edges.

1 minute ago, loose54 said:

I had considered buying that coin myself when I saw it @azda but I want convinced that it really was an error coin. I think it was described as a halfpenny struck on farthing flan (or penny on halfpenny flan, I can't remember) burnin reality I think it may just be a penny that has been trimmed round the edges.

Definitely not a penny, the flan is 18.5mm in dia without any signs of milling, its also a little heavier than a farthing which would give credence of it being struck on the halfpenny flan

My latest acquisition is a Freeman 17, which is in GEF with some residual lustre. Unfortunately there are some light but noticeable scratches, especially to the reverse, which do detract somewhat. But as it's scarce, otherwise very nice, and I got it for a reduced price, it was worth buying. Another notch on the 1860 and 1861 joint series project bedpost.

Freeman 17 rev.jpg

Freeman 17 obv.jpg

• Like 9

In what will probably be my final penny acquisition for 2016, I've managed to get this really nice F26 from Rendell Ingram for £295.00. Maybe, possibly a tad on the pricey side - as they usually are from that dealership - but I agree with their description of aUNC choice, although the strike is a tad weak, especially the ribbon on the obverse. In addition, only the W of LCW under the shield is visible.

Not the rarest of the 1861's, but still a welcome addition.

Freeman 26 rev.jpg

Freeman 26 obv.jpg

• Like 3

Nice coin. Not the rarest, as you say, but much harder than most to get in good condition, and virtually impossible to find in BU.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Nice coin. Not the rarest, as you say, but much harder than most to get in good condition, and virtually impossible to find in BU.

Thank you, Richard. So maybe £295 was actually a much more reasonable price than I first thought, given the condition.

Guest Sam_guest041
On 12/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, 1949threepence said:

Just imagine this scenario: A fair F103 and a fair1877 narrow date are posted to e bay at the same time. Which one will attract the most attention, and the hottest bidding war?    

2 Freeman 112s on ebay if you are interested