British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Eight, Matt - the 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 29, 32 & 33.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a 26, but the others will be very to extremely difficult, even in low grade. Indeed, some, like the 19, 23 & 27, not to mention most of the proofs, will be virtually impossible. So if I get a 21, 26 plus one proof, I'll happily draw a line under the series, unless, by great good fortune, one of the aforesaid impossibilities, presents itself at some point. Could be an extremely long wait for any one of those real rarities, verging on the unique, to even come up for sale, let alone for me to be able to afford and win it.      

Very nice, some of those aren't exactly ten a penny (pun intended) either.

I didn't know you're collecting proofs though, that a beast in itself! Seldom seen and expensive as hell, that's why I steer clear :D but fair play to the proof collectors out there.. To be honest I'm terrible at identifying proofs, another reason for me to steer clear lol.

19 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Very nice, some of those aren't exactly ten a penny (pun intended) either.

I didn't know you're collecting proofs though, that a beast in itself! Seldom seen and expensive as hell, that's why I steer clear :D but fair play to the proof collectors out there.. To be honest I'm terrible at identifying proofs, another reason for me to steer clear lol.

I'm not a big proof collector, or at any rate haven't been up to now. But I would like a few in my collection. They will have to be obviously proofs as well. There are quite a few good early strikes, masquerading as proofs, and going for a very nice price.     

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I'm not a big proof collector, or at any rate haven't been up to now. But I would like a few in my collection. They will have to be obviously proofs as well. There are quite a few good early strikes, masquerading as proofs, and going for a very nice price.     

Indeed! I have one that I was convinced was proof, although speaking to others here the general consensus is that it's just a very nice early strike. The colours and the sheen on it are what made me look twice.

1.png

Just to add that this picture doesn't capture the 'sheen' in the slightest, but it's there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Indeed! I have one that I was convinced was proof, although speaking to others here the general consensus is that it's just a very nice early strike. The colours and the sheen on it are what made me look twice.

1.png

Just to add that this picture doesn't capture the 'sheen' in the slightest, but it's there.

Nice coin , but proof isn't hitting me in the eye as it does with some. There are those which you can instantly see are the real deal. Like Steve's 1868 cupro nickel or copper. I know one of them had provenance from a Glendinning's sale in 1940.

That coin was mine Matt and made me check the colin cooke photo which is were i bought it.

Definately an early strike and although really nice its not proof.....remember talking to Neil about it why in his office :)

13 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

That coin was mine Matt and made me check the colin cooke photo which is were i bought it.

Definately an early strike and although really nice its not proof.....remember talking to Neil about it why in his office :)

I remember buying a 1929 off you but at the time I had 4 of them I think and I couldn't remember which :D I think I even asked if you knew which was yours lol.

Here's one I'm sure you penny boys will be flocking to buy. This guy has a few others a quite some amazing prices

IMG_2704.PNG

He certainly has a most optimistic pricing policy. I particularly like the half ryal which looks to be no more than a third to me.

Jerry

58 minutes ago, jelida said:

He certainly has a most optimistic pricing policy. I particularly like the half ryal which looks to be no more than a third to me.

Jerry

He's actually put a decimal point instead of a comma between the 1 and the 9. So if it was just under £2, I'd buy it ;) 

14 hours ago, azda said:

Here's one I'm sure you penny boys will be flocking to buy. This guy has a few others a quite some amazing prices

IMG_2704.PNG

I own the other PCGS MS65 example. It is hard to photograph through the slab. It is a brillant example though!

IMG_8857 (640x480).jpg

IMG_8860 (640x480).jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, jelida said:

Jerry

He also has a W&M 1689 half crown graded at XF45 and wanting £995. About £865 to expensive, i just wonder how he has so much feedback with such expensive coins :blink:

This is the PCGS price in one that sold in MS65 last year on ebay. I'd say he's a good £1700 out of range and definately wayyyyy out of the ballpark

IMG_2707.PNG

£2000 :o 

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats a lovely coin bob .......But the other guy who wants 2K ...:rolleyes:

My copy is for sale at $900 on my website. The one you mention is a little high! LOL

24 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

My copy is for sale at $900 on my website. The one you mention is a little high! LOL

Whats that in £  Bob as in my opinion would be £350 Max its not as if they are scarce.

I have one cgs 82 it might not be so far off grade wise and possibly not as good (close :)) but paid £230 (already slabbed) and cgs say £350.

14 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Whats that in £  Bob as in my opinion would be £350 Max its not as if they are scarce.

I have one cgs 82 it might not be so far off grade wise and possibly not as good (close :)) but paid £230 (already slabbed) and cgs say £350.

$900 at todays rate is £718.96

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Good for you. And as far as CGS...who cares, that is a near defunct business. :)

• Like 1

It was more to do with a guide to a price of a slabbed 1912 H penny and not really to do with anything other than the price of your coin and the other..

$900 and $2000 just seems a lot .forgetting the tpgs the spink price is £375 :) 

I wonder with the level of the £ right now if we see some higher than normal increases in Spink this year. In all probability they may have missed the cut off date for publication though, will be interesting to have a look through. @Chris Perkins what about CCGB, have you taken the level of the £ into account or are the prices much the same in your 2017 book, and when is this due out?

2 hours ago, azda said:

I wonder with the level of the £ right now if we see some higher than normal increases in Spink this year. In all probability they may have missed the cut off date for publication though, will be interesting to have a look through. @Chris Perkins what about CCGB, have you taken the level of the £ into account or are the prices much the same in your 2017 book, and when is this due out?

@azda are prices in Spink etc driven by realised auction prices? I have never actually asked anyone on here how the pricing guides get to a certain price on a coin. I ask as the prices for George V Halfcrowns in CCGB and even Spink seem to be way off the types of prices higher grade stuff is realising on ebay etc over the last year.

Just now, Nonmortuus said:

@azda are prices in Spink etc driven by realised auction prices? I have never actually asked anyone on here how the pricing guides get to a certain price on a coin. I ask as the prices for George V Halfcrowns in CCGB and even Spink seem to be way off the types of prices higher grade stuff is realising on ebay etc over the last year.

I think that auction prices are a part of their pricing, BUT the prices would come from the year before because i think Spink need a good 6 months to prepare the book for release.....This is of course my assumption, perhaps someone with more in the know knowledge of how they prepare the book for release can add further, @Chris Perkins can maybe add how he comes to his prices in the CCGB book

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

It was more to do with a guide to a price of a slabbed 1912 H penny and not really to do with anything other than the price of your coin and the other..

$900 and $2000 just seems a lot .forgetting the tpgs the spink price is £375 :) 

You have to remember Pete, Spink is just a guide, and no more. The pricing in the book is at least 1 year behind valuation. due to research time, and publishing time. An example...a small date 1877 penny listed in Spink $1500 pounds(AF), I sold to a major player for $15,000! So much for Spink valuations. :)

I do understand Bob and look at prices daily........I have nothing better to do :)

The coin in question though is 1912 H  and completely different to a rare 1877 narrow date.

If you get what your asking good luck to you and was more a question.

I will look forward to you selling it as will set a guide :)