British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

4 hours ago, secret santa said:

Now that IS a nice coin Jerry - best by far that I've seen on an F72. Could you mail me pics please.

Richard

Will do, of course, Richard, and thanks for the comment. I have one in at least GVF, previously shown on this forum, but was surprised to see this one from a dealer who specializes in bronze. I had to look at an 1875 narrow date as well to confirm my thoughts, but was safe in the knowledge that it was an improvement on my 'normal' F72 anyway, so not a massive risk. A good loupe is needed with this variety.

Give me a day or two, must add my F21 to your list, will check for others.

Jerry

• Like 2

I just acquired a quite reasonable F15 from flea bay. Would have ideally liked to have bought Steve's, but had other priorities from that collection, which didn't leave sufficient money. They're not especially scarce, but it's yet another of the 1860 series, I hadn't got. Got the coin today - my pics below. Unfortunately there is a tiny patch of verd just under the second N of PENNY, almost invisible to the naked eye, but doesn't majorly detract.

Freeman 15 reverse

Freeman 15 obverse

e bay link

1.jpg

• Like 1

I am slowly getting into Pennies, I picked this up fairly cheaply from Spain! Still working on the photos.....

1910-penny.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I am slowly getting into Pennies, I picked this up fairly cheaply from Spain! Still working on the photos.....

Must be one of Nordle's ...

12 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

1910-penny.jpg

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

Must be one of Nordle's ...

Indeed it is, hope you like it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Indeed it is, hope you like it

Ah great! Yes thanks, it fills a date gap for now :)

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I just acquired a quite reasonable F15 from flea bay. Would have ideally liked to have bought Steve's, but had other priorities from that collection, which didn't leave sufficient money. They're not especially scarce, but it's yet another of the 1860 series, I hadn't got. Got the coin today - my pics below. Unfortunately there is a tiny patch of verd just under the second N of PENNY, almost invisible to the naked eye, but doesn't majorly detract.  

Edited to include the pictures while we sort whatever's going on out.

That's a decent, strong coin though, nice buy. Did you get it for a good price??

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Edited to include the pictures while we sort whatever's going on out.

That's a decent, strong coin though, nice buy. Did you get it for a good price??

£58.07, Matt. Which I thought was fairly reasonable for an E15 in GEF.

Decent price for a decent coin, I would say. I bet you're having fun looking for all the 1860s :D 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2016 at 11:00 AM, Nordle11 said:

Decent price for a decent coin, I would say. I bet you're having fun looking for all the 1860s :D 

Yes, its just great fun, Matt.  Not to mention the 1861's. Many rare varieties to collect. 

• Like 1

On 17/9/2016 at 10:27 AM, Gary1000 said:

I have one

For sale?

I see Gary, just rubbing it in :P

• Like 1

Picked up today to celebrate the end of French rule 950 years after it began. :ph34r:

c2042 Harold II Wilton.jpg

• Like 1

What is it Rob and is that a good one as looks it to someone like me who does not have a clue :)

Also how big is it approx ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

What is it Rob and is that a good one as looks it to someone like me who does not have a clue :)

Also how big is it approx ?.

Harold II (he of the arrow in the eye) hence the reference to 950 years of French rule and the vote to leave their private club. Wilton mint, the moneyer is Aelfwold and it's about 20mm diameter.

The portrait is slightly double struck, but I can live with that as there is minimal wear. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist adding it to the penny acquisition thread. Hope springs eternal that a few of you might cast your eyes a bit further back than 1860.

12 hours ago, Rob said:

Picked up today to celebrate the end of French rule 950 years after it began. :ph34r:

c2042 Harold II Wilton.jpg

From ebay?

:P

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, jelida said:
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:15 AM, jelida said:

Will do, of course, Richard, and thanks for the comment. I have one in at least GVF, previously shown on this forum, but was surprised to see this one from a dealer who specializes in bronze. I had to look at an 1875 narrow date as well to confirm my thoughts, but was safe in the knowledge that it was an improvement on my 'normal' F72 anyway, so not a massive risk. A good loupe is needed with this variety.

Jerry

Jerry

Annoyingly that F72 was sold at Hanson’s on 22nd August Lot 116 for its low estimate of £50. I bid on it through Saleroom and had a message returned saying I was the highest bidder only for the auctioneer to not accept my bid even though I am pretty sure she saw it on her screen. I had the video link on and had been watching closely for over an hour to make sure I got my bid in……….pain in the ass but at least pleased it finished up with a serious penny collector like Jerry.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hansons/catalogue-id-hanson10084/lot-31ad4583-9aef-4eec-ad9f-a65f0106050a

Another gap filled - Freeman 148

1.png

• Like 7

My 1874 series is now complete, with the acquistion of the final piece in the jigsaw - a Freeman 77 in what I would say was toned GEF. Thanks to Ian for this coin :)

Freeman 77 rev.jpg

Freeman 77 obv.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

That was a good buy Mike and better than mine :P

Cheers Pete. In the end it was a much better specimen than I expected to get.