British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

It's almost better than my normal tide example!

My son arrived back from the USA today with a couple of my penny purchases in his luggage. The first is a 1864 plain costing £50, which I think represents good value and looks GVF or better to me.

The second is a slabbed 1862, 2 over 1. This already features on Richard's rarest pennies site as a past Ebay offering, and was also off the Bay after considerable negotiation over price. Difficult to photo, in the rather scuffed slab. The microscope fares better, and reveals some of that waxy green gunge around the lettering which I would normally remove, but as its in a slab I will simply observe for now. Nice clear overstrike however.

Still haven't got round to photographing my LCA purchases, will show some in time.

Jerry

F48 1864 penny 2 rev.jpg

F48 1864 penny 2 obv.jpg

• Like 2

Out of interest do the American TPGs attribute the variety to the likes of these, or is this another case where they simply state that it's a GB penny, and the year - and collectors have to spot the variety through the slab? 

and close-ups;

F39 1862 2 over 1 enlarged date.jpg

F39 1862 2 over 1 closeup of overstrike.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Pennies Jerry. Good purchases. I know what you are talking about with U.S. Slabs. I sent a 1922/27 penny in with the sale ticket, and it came back as a 1922! You can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink! Ha,Ha!

28 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Out of interest do the American TPGs attribute the variety to the likes of these, or is this another case where they simply state that it's a GB penny, and the year - and collectors have to spot the variety through the slab? 

This one is simply labeled '1862 penny' though the vendor knew what it was. I can live with that. But if I intended to slab my whole collection (which I don't) I would want them fully identified, hence I suppose the benefit of CGS. I don't know if the UK branch of NGC would be better, is the grading undertaken here?

Good buy Jerry.

15 hours ago, jelida said:

My son arrived back from the USA today with a couple of my penny purchases in his luggage.

Does that mean your son is collecting too?

Edited by Prax

45 minutes ago, Prax said:

Good buy Jerry.

Does that mean your son is collecting too?

Not pennies, thankfully. Air miles certainly, in two days he's off to Japan to prepare for his wedding to a Tokyo girl. Then he's living there. His workplace is where his computer is, though the money comes from the USA. Its going to feel strange for us, him being so far away. At least we should get some nice holidays as a result.

Jerry

Looks like your son works in IT or he plays the markets. In the IT industry so long as the job gets done and one is contactable between 9:30 to 16:00 hrs UK time, no one cares.

My wife, who also works in IT, and I made the best use of time (between 2002 and 2010) to see the world, we would be working from Nepal one day and from Thailand the next. After that owing to childcare responsibilities we are restricted to just 3 or 4 scheduled holidays a year, which have to coincide with my son’s school hols. This means we can no longer travel as much as we used to and my wife works reduced hours to ensure she is with my son at all times that he's not in school.

I can relate to what your son is doing. My best wishes to him and to his fiancée.

1 hour ago, Prax said:

Looks like your son works in IT or he plays the markets. In the IT industry so long as the job gets done and one is contactable between 9:30 to 16:00 hrs UK time, no one cares.

I can relate to what your son is doing. My best wishes to him and to his fiancée.

IT it is, thanks Prax.

Jerry

Funny thing is an ord 1862 penny in VF is not worth slabbing as the slab is worth around as much as the coin - the original owner of the coin was let down BIG TIME by that slabbing company .

I dont really know much about slabbing companies in the USA  , but I feel I would want nothing to do with them after these daft mistakes they make

The saying goes 'Jack of all trades,master of none'

Edited by Peter

Jerry, that 1862 2/1 is possibly the clearest example of the type that I've seen, and a really nice problem free specimen to boot.

That and your 1864 plain are really great purchases B) 

yep love the 1864 as well well undergraded more like ef and rare in that grade

Nice coins... an attractive 1864 is one coin I rarely see... 

I don't recall seeing such a clear 1862/1 either. Congrats

One with lustre, don't see many of these around.

1934.jpg

• Like 3

I second that - very, very nice penny there.

Bought a few off Guy last week.....The coinery on here.

Happy with them all and thank you including this 1867 :)

Pete.

1.jpg

• Like 5

Bought another ten from Guy .....The coinery........       :)

However some like this 1873 doubt i will upgrade although not the best pictures ^_^

Pete.

1.png

• Like 4

Spanker, particularly the reverse. Good buy.