British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Penny Acquisition of the week

A good one - not got a new one to report yet though ;)

Yes good idea, and thanks for spelling it correctly :ph34r::P

I will kick it off with the first 'varietal' buy for me, so my second example of one year but with a different die pairing - 1921 Freeman 190, dies 2 + B.

1921.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Nice one - that should satisfy the non-penny boys.

No not really as it's still the same topic of which there is yet another plus we already have an aquisition of the week thread, so in essence a double thread which is really not required.

it looks like it's bordering on the ridiculous now.....

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

But if a new sub-forum is going to be made which holds all of the penny threads, there will be a need for an 'acquisition of the week' thread, otherwise the current one will just get penny posts inside of it and inevitably just clog it up again?

The more pennies thread is just a general one for penny related stuff, not really for posting nice acquisitions. 

That is correct, but there is no sub forum as yet for pennies which means that this is basically a double threads which is again not required

If it's coming there's no harm surely! On the bright side, it'll stop any more pennies being posted in that thread from now on :) you won't have to scroll past them to look at the other acquisitions while we wait for a new penny section!

32 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

If it's coming there's no harm surely! On the bright side, it'll stop any more pennies being posted in that thread from now on :) you won't have to scroll past them to look at the other acquisitions while we wait for a new penny section!

But it's not the pictures of the coins in question that is cluttering up the forum boards, it's the amount of threads on the same topic. The pictures of the pennies and all other denominations are in ONE place, the penny topic is SPREAD over 15 different threads which is where my complaint is.

As i've stated, it's more to do with getting a pinned thread with the ability to add sub threads into that ONE thread. 

1 hour ago, azda said:

No not really as it's still the same topic of which there is yet another plus we already have an aquisition of the week thread, so in essence a double thread which is really not required.

it looks like it's bordering on the ridiculous now.....

Will we have one for copper pennies soon?

28 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

Will we have one for copper pennies soon?

If it pleases you jac then you should simply create another thread. The idiocy will only last so long though before the chief finally steps in.

So, feel free to pop another penny thread in, in fact, throw a many up as you feel ?

True.

Just acquired my first high grade bun penny from Pete ( @PWA 1967) ... an 1891 Gouby BP1891AB graded and slabbed CGS 75.

As indicated (by Pete and others) it is much better than the CGS pics suggest, so very pleased.

I may try and take my own pics through the slab ... 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 3

Just received a few nice pennies from Pete today too, all raw though as that's what I collect. A really nice 1950 proof, 1948 BU and a nice example of the 1946 Dot. Very happy with them. Not that I ever had a doubt. Great coins from a great guy who has been very helpful to me and many others. Thanks Pete, appreciate all the help.

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Just received a few nice pennies from Pete today too, all raw though as that's what I collect. A really nice 1950 proof, 1948 BU and a nice example of the 1946 Dot. Very happy with them. Not that I ever had a doubt. Great coins from a great guy who has been very help to me and many others. Thanks Pete, appreciate all the help.

Don't forget you can always buy them and crack them out, the CGS ones are especially easy to open up ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Just acquired my first high grade bun penny from Pete ( @PWA 1967) ... an 1891 Gouby BP1891AB graded and slabbed CGS 75.

As indicated (by Pete and others) it is much better than the CGS pics suggest, so very pleased.

I may try and take my own pics through the slab ... 

Paulus, A polaroid filter on your camera will really help in taking pictures through slabs. It gets rid of the reflection from the slab!

And my penny from Pete arrived today, a really lovely 1908, slabbed by CGS, here is the link but better in the hand than the pics, so many thanks Pete, and for your generosity, definitely subsidized my collecting here!

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/?uin=36985&page=coin_verification&Submit=Verify

Jerry

• Like 1

That's a cracking coin Jerry, and if any of the ones Pete has sent me compared to the CGS pictures are anything to go by, it must be a beauty in hand! :) 

31 minutes ago, jelida said:

And my penny from Pete arrived today, a really lovely 1908, slabbed by CGS, here is the link but better in the hand than the pics, so many thanks Pete, and for your generosity, definitely subsidized my collecting here!

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/?uin=36985&page=coin_verification&Submit=Verify

Jerry

Glad your happy Jerry.

Told you it was a nice one :)

Pete.

I was absent from the forum for a while, and during that period I bought some coins, and I thought I oought to share a couple with you:-

The first is an 1864 crosslet 4, which I bought a year ago, February 2015:-

?ui=2&ik=0ece419723&view=att&th=152b81d3 

?ui=2&ik=0ece419723&view=att&th=152b81df

The second is an 1871:-

To be fair, I actually bought this in August 2013, but didn't have the facilities for photographing it properly back then:-

?ui=2&ik=0ece419723&view=att&th=152b81ea 

?ui=2&ik=0ece419723&view=att&th=152b81f3

14 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is it just me but know pictures Mike:o

They're on my PC and tablet, Pete, but they're not appearing on my phone. They're just pics I took, sent to a spare e mail address, copied the address link, and inserted the image from the URL, in "insert other media" - they should work OK, but clearly there's a bit of an issue :ph34r:  

ETA - does this work?   

Edited by 1949threepence