British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris

1806 halfpenny

Yes, yes, I know - one of the commonest 'modern' milled coins there is. Vast numbers are available.

But it might surprise you to know that this is one of the hardest coins to find in top grade. I have the penny (Unc, good lustre) and the farthing (ditto) - but do you think I can find a similar example of the halfpenny? I've been looking for years, but it just eludes me. 

If anyone sees one going - currency, not proof - that's at least AUnc, has some lustre and is a good strike, please, do let me know!

http://www.cambridgeshirecoins.com/epages/es121869.mobile/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es121869/Products/"1806+HALFPENNY+%28+AUNC+%29"&Locale=en_AU

Link doesn't appear to work. They claim to have a Aunc. Try doing a search on there.

Edited by Ukstu

Thanks, I'll have a try.

Bit rich for currency.

LCA maybe the place to go for a nice one.

6 hours ago, will1976 said:

Not sure if this will be suitable but worth a look....... https://www.sovr.co.uk/george-iii-1806-halfpenny-bg01831.html

That would have been just the ticket but for those dark smears at the top on both obverse and reverse.

21 hours ago, Peckris said:

That would have been just the ticket but for those dark smears at the top on both obverse and reverse.

I did wonder about those but thought its only a couple of clicks to have a look

• Like 1

they did circulate and are a lot harder in mint than most would imagine

• Like 1

On 15/12/2017 at 10:21 AM, Peckris said:

Yes, yes, I know - one of the commonest 'modern' milled coins there is. Vast numbers are available.

But it might surprise you to know that this is one of the hardest coins to find in top grade. I have the penny (Unc, good lustre) and the farthing (ditto) - but do you think I can find a similar example of the halfpenny? I've been looking for years, but it just eludes me. 

If anyone sees one going - currency, not proof - that's at least AUnc, has some lustre and is a good strike, please, do let me know!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Great-Britain-1-2-Penny-1806SOHO-3-BERRIES-REV-NGC-MS63-BN/222755652279  seems reasonable price ?

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

I beat you by an hour Zoo!!!!! I wouldn't want to pay much over the starting price with no lustre in the fields.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

I beat you by an hour Zoo!!!!! I wouldn't want to pay much over the starting price with no lustre in the fields.

there was another MS64 but twice the price and a MS66 penny that looked very nice but a tad expensive :)

15 hours ago, Peter said:

That one is VERY nice - almost prooflike in some ways. Real shame there is a complete lack of lustre and also that it's in a plastic coffin. I'll keep a watchful eye on it though.. 

That coin gets the thumbs up from me too.  Very little wear and lots of eye appeal regardless of the absence of lustre.  Good luck if you do bid, hope you get it if you want it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peckris said:

That one is VERY nice - almost prooflike in some ways. Real shame there is a complete lack of lustre and also that it's in a plastic coffin. I'll keep a watchful eye on it though.. 

I saw that one but didn't think obverse was too great may be just the picture just didn't like the dark patches. But it seems they were blighted by that on the half pennies perhaps a metal mix thing?

• Like 1

Yes, it's very good in the sense of being absolutely complete (you so often see weak legends or rim / teeth or portrait etc.) It's not so good in being slabbed, a bit uneven in tone, and finishing at a most inconvenient time!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Yes, it's very good in the sense of being absolutely complete (you so often see weak legends or rim / teeth or portrait etc.) It's not so good in being slabbed, a bit uneven in tone, and finishing at a most inconvenient time!

Bid what you are prepared to spend, and if it goes over that, go for the next one. They aren't impossible to get, and I guarantee that you won't have filled every gap in the collection when you pop your clogs. One gap is as good as the next.

Edited by Rob

Put 2 early close bids in Peck.Not worth sniping and you never know Santa might be on your side.

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Put 2 early close bids in Peck.Not worth sniping and you never know Santa might be on your side.

tell me about it 1961 mule Irish half crown came up 10 days ago meant to leave a token bid was EF . Did nothing as I forgot it sold for £4.12 gutted is an understatement :(

5 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

tell me about it 1961 mule Irish half crown came up 10 days ago meant to leave a token bid was EF . Did nothing as I forgot it sold for £4.12 gutted is an understatement :(

Console yourself with the thought that you may not have won anyway. The top bid could have been £800... ;)

I left that one alone in the end. I'll look for one worthy of keeping company with my penny and farthing.

7 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I left that one alone in the end. I'll look for one worthy of keeping company with my penny and farthing.

Probably a tight squeeze in the bike shed.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this